Toast less calories than bread ?

Options
lizzie2190
lizzie2190 Posts: 236 Member
Ok, is it a glitch in MFP diary , how can the same bread type toasted be so much less calories ? x

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    hmm i dunno, i would just log it in as bread instead of toast
  • MasterSpater
    MasterSpater Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    technically the chemical reaction that occurs in toasting SHOULD result in fewer calories. But I can't see it being all that significant.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Yep, that isn't right. The bread is still bread after being toasted. Its an old myth that toasted bread is much less calories. However, toasted bread does weigh less and is lighter, but this is due to loss of water in the bread when toasting; water has no calories so bread is the same toasted or untoasted. Do some jumping jacks while eating the toast and then its less calories! :wink:

Some will say that toast is 3-5 calories less than bread due to size reduction and loss due to toasting and crumbs falling off. This is probably somewhat true. But seriously 3-5 calories difference, isn't even worth mentioning.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would say that would have to be a glitch! You're not taking any calories out just by popping it in the toaster! They're just a little crispier calories! ;-) lol I have toast just about every morning for breakfast, but I've never actually looked up "toast" in the database.... just the type of bread I used.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the calories for each item are created by members... which are sometimes very liberal with what they are inputting it.

I always try to doublecheck values before I log them for the first time.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My guess is that whoever listed these to begin with put in different information.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Well if I break my cookies in half and shake them, they have less calories, so why not? :laugh:
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hahaha just log the bread you use. however... yes technically toast will have slightly less calories than bread.. but only a few, nothing significant!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, is it a glitch in MFP diary , how can the same bread type toasted be so much less calories ? x

It is not a glitch. It is a user entered error. MFP relies on its users to enter info into the database 99% of issues with the database are on user entered items. You can correct it yourself and will be corrected going forward.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I always just log it as bread. And the first time I put anything in that someone already has in there, I double check the #'s to make sure its right.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    There are so many different types of bread, maybe the toasted one is just a lower calorie version?
  • lizzie2190
    lizzie2190 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, warburtons wholemeal toasted came up half the calories . will just record as bread like you said.. damni over calories today now ! LOL
    Good job i can fit in some exercise later