Lexapro and hunger

Options
I've just started lexapro a few days ago and omg I'm so hungry. I understand that the worst of the side effects tend to happen (and then usually dissipate) within the first week or two, so I'm not too worried about the lethargy and headaches, but I really don't want to be stuck with this huuuuunger. Has anyone else had this problem? Did the hunger go away?
(Unfortunately I also feel less inclined to go running, but that's easier to just force myself to do)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am on it and didn't have that symptom.

It made me yawn more at first, that's about it.

Are you certain the hunger is caused by the medication?
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It never made me hungry, buy it did cause digestive problems.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    But
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro twice. Once for over a year and once for six or eight months. It had no effect on my hunger level or weight either time. As @SideSteel said, it did make me yawn a lot, especially in the first month or two.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I took Lexapro for about 10 years as part of a migraine prevention method. I never experienced any thing like this, actually the opposite for about month until I built tolerance.

You could be having an ill effect of this and may want to talk to your doctor. Perhaps just stick it out for another week or two and call the doctor back. There are plenty of other alternatives.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Drugs affect everyone differently. Contact your doctor immediately. I had side effects to psychiatric medications and ended up with 90 lbs weight gain over a year. Don't do what I did. There are plenty of other SSRI's to try.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was on it briefly and it absolutely killed my appetite- could barely bring myself to eat even my favorite foods. That side effect only lasted about 2.5 weeks, though, then my appetite returned to normal.

It did make me anorgasmic though, which is why I was only on it briefly, because... life is too damn short for that nonsense.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It did make me anorgasmic though, which is why I was only on it briefly, because... life is too damn short for that nonsense.

I was also on it only briefly for this very same reason :neutral:

I then switched to Abilify and was on that for a year and gained 35 pounds. I had exactly what the OP is reporting on it. No matter what I did, i couldn't willpower past the non-stop ravenous feeling. That and never ever feeling full.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When I was on Lexapro I gained weight. I believe they list weight gain as a symptom. I think Wellbutrin is one of the meds that do not make you gain weight while on it. @bendyourkneekatie I don't want to ask in public why you are on the medication, but I have some experience with these types of meds. I have taken seraquil xr, lexapro, wellbutrin, prozac, and a couple others over the last 20 years or so.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have been on a lot of psych meds over the year. Abilify has made me gain the most weight (25 pounds). I want to start to really eat clean with a ton of protein, since I am hungry all of the time. We'll see.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    rosestring wrote: »
    Yeah, I have been on a lot of psych meds over the year. Abilify has made me gain the most weight (25 pounds). I want to start to really eat clean with a ton of protein, since I am hungry all of the time. We'll see.

That drug... ugh. It's evil I say.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you're having issues you should be discussing options with the doctor who prescribed it.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've just started lexapro a few days ago and omg I'm so hungry. I understand that the worst of the side effects tend to happen (and then usually dissipate) within the first week or two, so I'm not too worried about the lethargy and headaches, but I really don't want to be stuck with this huuuuunger. Has anyone else had this problem? Did the hunger go away?
    (Unfortunately I also feel less inclined to go running, but that's easier to just force myself to do)

I was put on it recently for anxiety and it was good for the first week or so, but then the insatiable hunger kicked in as well it drastically reduced my libido, so I was switched to Wellbutrin. The first week was a little rough but now I'm feeling awesome (week 2) - happier, less anxious, more energy and motivation and what I consider a healthy moderate appetite. I'm hoping this continues. Best thing too is I feel like myself in terms of my personality and range of emotions doesn't feel flattened, I just don't get stuck in negative thought patterns and have heart palpitations and whatnot. Good luck!!
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for almost two years for anxiety and I can't say that it makes me more hungry. My Dr. actually put me on this one for the reason that it is one of the anxiety meds that is least likely to cause weight gain. Interesting how the same med can affect people differently.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Lexapro, along with Latuda, and I have not noticed any increase in hunger. Well, I noticed an increase in hunger when I started cutting calories, but I adjusted. :smile:

Abilify caused me to gain the most weight... 80 pounds. I am now on stuff that has less of a chance of weight gain. Even on the Lexapro and Latuda I have been able to lose 17 pounds so far (I started mid-January).
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro briefly and had insatiable hunger. As well as feeling like I had a cloud made of bricks over my head constantly. I hated it. I switched to Wellbutrin and it's been great. Talk to your doctor. Sometime you have to try several different medications to find what works best for you.
  • maytehsp0rksbewithy0u
    Options
    Lexapro made me gain weight like crazy. It doesn't just cause an increase in hunger but can also cause metabolic syndrome that can cause you to gain weight without eating more calories as well in some people. If you find yourself gaining weight or your feelings of hunger don't subside in a few weeks, talk to your doctor about changing medications.

I'd suggest looking into Welbutrin since it's weight neutral.
  • Hope4Beth
    Hope4Beth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lexapro also made me hungry but it only did so for a short period of time. If you are concerned there is no substitute for talking with your doctor.
  • Terrorsita
    Terrorsita Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Beaner63 wrote: »
    rosestring wrote: »

That drug... ugh. It's evil I say.

Abilify is the danged reason I'm here. 40 lbs over the course of about two years. I used to be small. Now I'm large. That makes me sad. Abilify was supposed to keep me from being sad. ;)
  • raltschwager
    raltschwager Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote this post. I have the same thing going on with insatiable hunger. I was able to get running again after the first few weeks.