Primal Blueprint and Paleo Diet

Options
Does anyone follow the Primal Blueprint or the Paleo Diet? If so do you have any tips on how to get started?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't follow either, but I would start by throwing everything out that doesn't comply and stocking up with things that do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a bit (don't really recommend it, as you can do all the positive stuff without going paleo and I personally think whole grains, legumes, and dairy can be healthy parts of a diet and, indeed, that I should probably increase my consumption of legumes).

There's really no trick to doing it -- just make meals based on whole foods and don't use grains, dairy, or legumes. Meat, veg, and sweet potato seem quite popular, in various combinations.

Of course, you still aren't actually eating like a paleo person, but perhaps that's not the goal.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I pretty much lived and died by the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfillipo. I've since become much more comfortable with this way of eating and can generally do it on my own. I've also read Wheat Belly, Grain Brain, Primal Blueprint and a few others. They all had great information with little tweaks here and there. I've played around with my food and my macros to figure out what works best for me. I've been on and off plan a few times over the last 3 years, but every time I'm on, I love it. Feel free to take a look at my diary to see what I eat in a typical day/week.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I used to label myself as intolerant to this , allergic to that, but the truth was I was just eating too much. Only a little bit, but enough for the scale to creep up bit by sneaky bit.

I now eat ALL foods, count calories, have my dream body, endless energy, and no symptoms. I naturally limit sweet and stodgy foods as the calorie count is too high and I need something substantial.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Here is a suggestion. Do a whole30 challange. When done, start eating what you normally would eat. If nothing gets you sick then why bother with diets? Just eat within your calorie goals, try to stick to non processed whole foods and good quality meats etc. There no need for a diet as long as your health is in order.

This is not a terrible suggestion, but could perhaps be tweaked. After your initial Whole 30, I would reintroduce foods one thing at a time. I don't think that order matters, but giving yourself adequate time between reintroducing the foods will help you figure out if you are maybe intolerant or just don't do well with a specific food. If you go back to eating the way you were before the W30 and aren't well, then you will just be back at square one not knowing what food is causing your problems.

Since trying Paleo for the first time 4 years ago, I've been diagnosed with Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance as well as Lactose Intolerant. I can handle some dairy, but gluten makes me pretty ill. I was able to reintroduce legumes and corn and rice back in to my diet with no issues, though I do limit them since I try to follow a lower carb diet.

• hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I got really interested in it after listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with the founder of Primal Blueprint. Joe has cut out all processes sugar and doing very low carb and is leaning out. I believe it works but I don't think i personally could do it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint is excellent. I probably follow it, for the most part. Read Mark's book, and visit his website. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I mostly follow the "primal" suggestions, as I think avoiding dairy (for no special reason) is dumb (the main difference between the two). Going on 4-5 years, I guess. Mark Sisson is a smart guy, and his book is helpful.

Hints?
    1. Uh, don't be an ideological freak about it. He's very adamant to shoot for like 80% compliance and be happy with that. The world doesn't need more food-neurotics. So, relax.
    2. Also, post-lifting, just eat, a lot, of everything. Cereal, ice cream, whatever.
    3. count your calories, no excuses. The carb recommendations are pretty cool to have in mind, but you can easily wreck yourself by eating tons of nuts or something. Calories come first, always.
    4. Food is just one part. Sleep, lifting, endurance training, sun exposure, mindfulness meditation - it's all in there. All important. It's not a "diet" for losing weight, it's a set of suggestions for living a good life.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I mostly follow the "primal" suggestions, as I think avoiding dairy (for no special reason) is dumb (the main difference between the two). Going on 4-5 years, I guess. Mark Sisson is a smart guy, and his book is helpful.

Hints?
    1. Uh, don't be an ideological freak about it. He's very adamant to shoot for like 80% compliance and be happy with that. The world doesn't need more food-neurotics. So, relax.
    2. Also, post-lifting, just eat, a lot, of everything. Cereal, ice cream, whatever.
    3. count your calories, no excuses. The carb recommendations are pretty cool to have in mind, but you can easily wreck yourself by eating tons of nuts or something. Calories come first, always.
    4. Food is just one part. Sleep, lifting, endurance training, sun exposure, mindfulness meditation - it's all in there. All important. It's not a "diet" for losing weight, it's a set of suggestions for living a good life.

^^agree completely. A great, sensible post - which is rare when MFP ends up discussing paleo/primal LOL
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Avoiding Dairy...let's see...Hormones, Antibiotics, pus..... yep, good idea!!!
    Many good reasons to avoid, and most folks don't know this. ;)
  • juliadoulia
    juliadoulia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We did it for a couple weeks in February. We are starting back at it today! I would love to get a group started up :)