Help, I keep slipping up at night! Any suggestions?

Options
Hi guys,

My biggest downfalls are at night - it's a battle between me and the kitchen. I start making my husband and kids dinner and I start to pick at the foods and by the time you know it I have gone over my calorie goals. I drink 3 liters of water a day and I do good between the time I wake up and the time I leave work but as soon as I get home - all my good deeds go down the drain :frown: . This is fustrating for me because I know it's messing with my weight loss and I try so hard but I can't help myself. How do you deal with the cravings -

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    As dumb as it sounds - try eating more in the morning. It doesn't seem to make sense, but for me - when I really front load my calories, I don't have the grab a bite here, grab a taste there syndrome at night because I'm just not hungry and it's lots easier to practice self discipline when you aren't hungry.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I alternate between brushing my teeth and chewing gum. If my mouth is minty then I don't want to taste food while I'm cooking.
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    Try chewing a stick of minty gum while you make dinner, you will be less likely to pick at the food!
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    i chew gum while i cook, or have a hard candy.
    i do have to taste the food to make sure it is seasoned well, but if i'm chewing on a piece of gum i won't snack on a piece of cheese or whatever.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • lexrobin2
    lexrobin2 Posts: 33
    Options
    i would like to hear the suggestions, i struggle at the same time. When I keep my good self control at night, even though I may feel unfullfilled going to bed, I wake up feeling amazing and in self control. When i fail, i wake up depressed, sluggish, and gross. That should be motivation enough but somehow its not. Snacking and eating is addicting, despite the end results :(
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I alternate between brushing my teeth and chewing gum. If my mouth is minty then I don't want to taste food while I'm cooking.

Nice trick - I'm going to try that out, thanks!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The gum or teeth brushing idea that a few have been saying is excellent. I never even thought of that. It's all a mind game in my opinion. I KNOW that if I pick and binge at night, I feel like crap and beat myself up about it. And really, why would I want to feel that way? I hate that feeling. So I just keep telling myself over and over again that it's going to harm me more than help me, no matter how badly I want whatever it is I'm craving.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Eating a bigger breakfast works pretty well for me too. I seem to be less hungry througout the day, even after exercising, so I'm not tempted to pick at bad foods.

Also, it sounds like you're maybe depriving yourself of certain things and so by the end of the day, you're too tired to resist. Maybe try to make room in your calories for those things you really enjoy. Helps me!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I do the chew gum or brush my teeth trick.

Also, I will already "log" my diary. It helps me to see the "If every day were like today you, by ... you will weigh...." post. Seeing myself at 3 kg less is a great motivator to stay away from the snacks. Plus if people post "Way to go!" I don't want to then eat more and have to change my food diary.

Also, making sure you "save" some calories for something sweet or salty, so you don't have to deny yourself everyday :D

Good Luck! You can do it!!!!!
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey

Thank you for all those links, I'm going to read them and see if I get a better understanding of what I should doing. My diary was public but since I've been slipping up I feel ashamed and put it as private :frown:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    As dumb as it sounds - try eating more in the morning. It doesn't seem to make sense, but for me - when I really front load my calories, I don't have the grab a bite here, grab a taste there syndrome at night because I'm just not hungry and it's lots easier to practice self discipline when you aren't hungry.

Completely agree...but I will add to it. When I eat a nicely sized breakfast including protein (I usually have eggs and/or some kind of meat) my appetite is totally controlled all day. I love to pick while I cook, so keep a container of grape tomatoes or a bag of baby carrots on hand. You can pick at those while you cook :)
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I do the chew gum or brush my teeth trick.

Also, I will already "log" my diary. It helps me to see the "If every day were like today you, by ... you will weigh...." post. Seeing myself at 3 kg less is a great motivator to stay away from the snacks. Plus if people post "Way to go!" I don't want to then eat more and have to change my food diary.

Also, making sure you "save" some calories for something sweet or salty, so you don't have to deny yourself everyday :D

Good Luck! You can do it!!!!!

I log in all my meals every morning and I look at the "If every day were like today you, by ... you will weigh...." and I get the "Way to go!" but I still slip up. I don't want to say that I don't have will - everyone has will, I just need to put it to use.
  • xeno456
    xeno456 Posts: 1
    Options
    Too much water may stretch the stomach folds, which alot of times is why most people stuffer from hungry the first week of dieting. Try not to drink excessive and unnecessary water. ;) good luck!
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I drink a bottle of water with Crystal Lite when I cook. It keeps my hands/mouth occupied when I want to grab something, and it's sweet so it's more satisfying than just water. Plus it makes me eat less when I actually eat dinner.
  • debadams1964
    debadams1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thats a good idea. it seems when i eat a bigger,healthier breakfast, i am fuller during the day. night is also hardest for me. i think it comes with age too,ugh! :)
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    To be fair tho, I often slip up of an evening. I tell myself to keep it tucked away under the bed, but I just adore its rubberyness smell...so slip it up I do.........
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I tried it all and what has worked for me goes against popular belief and conventional wisdom- I don't eat each day unil I'm hungry (10am-noon-ish) which leaves me with more PM cals to get me through the night. I also eat a sliced up/baked sweet potato and frozen grapes- both are extremely filling and curtail further craving.
  • inatay7
    inatay7 Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, why eat breakfast at 7am if you're not hungry at 7am??

Though this could be because I work crazy hours in hospitality, my work and eating times get a bit unconventional! I get comments and looks for not eating the most important meal of the day...... but I AM - just when I'm ready for it :-)

I must admit sometimes I have the problem of picking at things unnecessarily....... listening to my salivating mouth not my content stomach. Great advice with gum and brushing your teeth... I'm going to give it a go! :-)
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options