Shin Splints

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
Ok, I developed shin splints about 2 wks ago, so I've been taking it easy. I haven't ran, and have barely even exercised cause I just want them to go away! I NEED to lose this weight! The thought of not being able to exercise and not being able to lose this weight is sooo frustrating, BUT I rested.

Well, I thought they were better. I've been stretching them a little over the past few days. I went to Zumba last night and they hurt AGAIN! I guess they didn't heal yet, but OMG when are they gonna be better?!?!?!?!

When I first got them I cried over the pain, but last night when they started hurting AGAIN...I didn't even CARE about the PAIN...I just started crying out of frustration that I STILL have them!

I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! I can't sit around and do nothing! This sucks!

I'm reeeally upset about this. :( I've never had shin splints before, so this is driving me insane!

What should I do?

I could seriously cry about it again! I just feel like I probably got them cause I'm fat, and I'm doomed to stay fat forever! :( I wanna get my body right...***CRIES****

Help. :(

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Did you ice them and take an anti-inflammatory?

Also, you can technically run on shin splints as long as you are 100% certain it is shin splints. Shin splints should be bad at the beginning on a run and get at least slightly better as you warm up. It's just not pleasant. I have gotten rid of shin splints through "relative rest," stretching and icing. Relative rest is where you either do a different activity or you decrease the intensity or the mileage that you're currently doing.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I got them last summer, because I was running w/ shoes that were shot. How are your shoes? Might look into getting some new ones that are good for your type of feet. I found that massaging with castor oil, icing and rest were what I needed to do for myself. Can you just go for some long walks, or does that aggrivate them, too?
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ice and ibuprofen are your best friends right now. I had them a few times in high school (I danced) and they stink,! I think it takes like 6 weeks for them to heal completely.
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    Does your gym or zumba center have one of those boards that you can stand on to stretch them. If so, definitely use it. I do that before and after running and working out, and it helps tremendously. Good luck!
  • ojell
    Options
    Does your gym or zumba center have one of those boards that you can stand on to stretch them. If so, definitely use it. I do that before and after running and working out, and it helps tremendously. Good luck!

Hmmm...I don't know. I'll have to check.
  • knegt
    knegt Posts: 4
    Options
    I bind mine up with tensor bandages before running but still run at least three times per week. It will heal in time. You may have weak arches in your feet that need special insoles. Also, a way to prevent them is to walk around on your heals (toes pointing up) for 30 seconds a day. This strengthens the muscles in that area. Hope that helps!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First up get them fixed. This means up to a week of rest, elevation, ibuprofen and icing (wrap a bag of frozen peas in a tea towel and hold them there for 15 minutes. After an hour, repeat). Only do no-impact exercise in this time. This means swimming, cycling or weight training, or boxing moves with just your top half.

If they are not better by then, SEE A DOCTOR! It's USUALLY muscular but in very, very rare instances it could be to do with microfractures in the bone.

As far as shoes go, you know the drill for getting fitted for running shoes. Unfortunately you need different ones for lateral movements like Zumba and 30DS-style circuits. I found this to my cost by injuring myself trying to do them in my running shoes and I'm waiting until payday to get a pair of cross-trainers with lateral support.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have felt your pain...litterally. This was the advice that was given to me and it worked! Stretching like you are already doing...try sitting in a chair and using your toes to pick up something off the floor and lifting up. It helps!

Also, try taking 2 ibuprofen 30 minutes before your exercise to help with the inflamation.

Make sure you are wearing the right shoes too! It makes a big difference.

It will be hard at first but you just have to work through the pain...it will get easier the more the weight comes off. When I first started this healthy living journey that was my biggest struggle with exercise and I could barely walk for 10 minutes without having to sit down because my shins felt like they were on fire...but now, I'm walking for 35 minutes daily at a fast pace no problem...it feels great!
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    Oh, honey - I feel your pain! I really do!!! I just found out I pulled a hamstring last week, so I've been put on the disabled list for the next 4-6 WEEKS - no running, no elliptical, no cycling, no walking unless necessary. It SUCKS!!!

I had shin splints a couple of weeks ago, and they do get better over time. You can still do SOOOO much: go swimming, use the elliptical, walk 3.0 mph on a treadmill, etc. (I wrote a blog post about my shin splints: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emciriaco/view/shin-splints-107055).

Don't let this get you down! There's still so much you can do, but you just need to take care so you don't aggravate the shin splints into stress fractures.

Your frustration alone shows you've got some trememdous will there. Chin up and hit the elliptical! Your legs will feel great in no time!

And in the meantime, make sure the shoes you have are right for you. I tend to supinate, meaning my foot turns outward when I walk/run; others pronate (foot goes inward). Both require different kinds of support.

Best of luck to you! =)
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    I bind mine up with tensor bandages before running but still run at least three times per week. It will heal in time. You may have weak arches in your feet that need special insoles. Also, a way to prevent them is to walk around on your heals (toes pointing up) for 30 seconds a day. This strengthens the muscles in that area. Hope that helps!

On that note, compression socks could possibly help as well. :)
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    Make sure to take care of your shin splints. I got them when I was in the military and because I pushed myself, the shin splints turned into stress fractures, which laid me up even longer. Ice, rest and anti-inflamitory are your friends right now. You can still work out, just nothing high impact. Walk if it doesn't hurt, but you can also swim or do biking or elliptical.

Like someone else suggested, check your shoes to see if they're too worn out. It is worth it to get shoes from a running store and be fitted by someone who knows what they're doing as far as shoe fitting. Make sure you warm up your calves before running by doing a little cardio like a brisk walk, and strech after your run.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

Also, try taking 2 ibuprofen 30 minutes before your exercise to help with the inflamation.

I'm sorry, it might feel like it helps, but DO NOT take ibuprofin before working out. There are too many health risks with taking ibuprofin before working out. If it's so bad you can't stand the pain, don't workout. Every year, my running club sends out information on why you SHOULD NOT take anti-inflammatories before a run.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got them last summer, because I was running w/ shoes that were shot. How are your shoes? Might look into getting some new ones that are good for your type of feet. I found that massaging with castor oil, icing and rest were what I needed to do for myself. Can you just go for some long walks, or does that aggrivate them, too?

I agree, check your shoes. You might want to consider getting new ones. And most importantly, stretch your calf muscles. Sometimes they occur from trying to do too much too fast, like running further than you are used to without working up to it or running at a greater speed, but I think you will conqueor them with, new shoes, ice, and lots of stretching! I love your attitude! This is just a bump in the road. You will heal. Good luck!
  • dietnfit
    dietnfit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am no exercise expert...but i have had my share of shin splints. If it was caused by exercise...it is because you may have gone too hard and fast or you overextended your stride. I think we tend to attack exercise with full fury hoping for quick results...but it is really better to ease into it and let your body and muscles get accustomed to the activity.

I would suggest walking..keep it at a comfortable pace where you don't aggravate your shin splints. Maybe 15-20 minutes and build from there. That will help build up the muscle support, while allowing that area to heal. Make sure you have adequate shoes for your activity. Shoes lose their ability to absorb shock and can result in shin splints or knee pain. you could also try swimming or biking as an alternative to walking..Look up your local school pool..many times they offer open or lap swim.

When you walk or run, don't overextend your gait to try and cover more ground. Quicker shorter strides are better.

Keep stretching the area, keep up with fluids, try tylenol (only if needed). Hope this helps

It will get better.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    1.Check your foot wear. Worn out shoes can cause shin splints. In terms of running anything with over 300 miles on it should be discarded.

2. Are they the right shoes? Go to a running store and get appropriate shoes for your feet AND activity. Running shoes are intended for forward motion, are you running? No, then you should wear a different style of shoe.

3. Ice massage the affected area for 15 minutes, 4 times a day. Rub ice right into the area. It will feel good and reduce swelling.

4. Allow them to heal properly. Shin splints are a repetitive stress injury or overuse injury. Usually caused by too much, too soon. You need to slowly transition into exercise. Your body may not be ready for what you are doing and as such is protesting. For running, never exceed the previous weeks mileage by more than 10%

5. If rest, ice massage and ibuprofen don't resolve the issue, see a Sports Physiotherapist (and not the one who deals with old folks in the home... someone who actually deals with athletes. It is a different mindset, in that a sports physiotherapist will work to get you back in the game sooner. The standard physio therapist often really just wants to make the pain stop. I have seen several and the sports physio therapists always deliver best results.

6. I finally beat my Shin Splints by getting ART Treatments. Thats Active Release Therapy Treatment and is offered by specially trained Chiropractors. My own treatment included a hybrid of massage, chiropractic, physio therapy and accunpuncture techniques. After 7 treatments, I stopped having issues and that was well over a year ago.

7. Shin splints are also referred to as a catch all diagnosis. There are different types of shin splints. Some caused by over use, some by bad shoes, some by muscle imbalances, and some by mechanical defect. Your easiest recourse is to address the shoes and reduce the activity. If you do these and the problem persists seek medical treatment from a sports physician.

Hope these help!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Get some good shoes with some air shock absorbers. Nike Air Max 95 are expensive but they have the air shock absorbers. You dont HAVE to get those - I dont have a pair - just trying to point out the air shock absorbers.

Also, a good exercise to avoid shin splints is to stand near a wall, put your palm on the wall and raise the balls of your feet off the ground (using your heel as the pivit point) about 50 times. Rest, then do it again 50 times.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    Here is an article on using anti-inflammatories before a workout:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37341523/ns/health-pain_center?gt1=43001

After, as long as you don't abuse them and aren't using them to mask a problem you should really be going to a doctor about, is fine.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    when my shins bother me, i wrap them tight with ace bandages and workout. it helps so much because it pushes the muscle back to the bone (opposed to away). try it, couldn't hurt and feel better!!!!!!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting mine for months! I stopped running because of it!

I can't do alot of the jumps in my exercise video because my shins hurt so bad. Icy/hot patches help!
  • ojell
    Options
    Ok finally got to read some more of your responses. I know how I got the shin splints because I was stupid one night and didn't stretch enough AND I went to a different area which had a bit of a hill which I haven't run hills in a long time. Grrr. lol

The shoes I've been wearing are not very old. I actually had the guy help me find the right one. I only wear them when I am going for a walk/jog/run.
    And for the zumba last night, I wore a different shoe...I used to do Zumba all the time, and I bought specific shoes just for the zumba. They're new also. :)

I have been resting, massaging and stretching a lot and taking the anti-inflammatories. I haven't really been icing. I'm just frustrated that they're not better yet.