Is there a good site that calculates your walking speed?

Options

Replies

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper, really easy to use. Also tracks weight loss as well.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »
    When I figured it out using the above site it was closer to 5 MPH, which sounds about right.

Are you sure of your numbers?
    5mph is close to jog/run it's a ridiculously fast walking pace.
    3.5/4mph would be considered very brisk.

Yes, I do a mixture of speed walking/ slow jogging, if i went any faster i'd be running. I cant however guarantee that I keep up that pace for a solid hour.. I probably do hover between 3.5 and 5. The actual number I got was 4.7 mph. I tested it over and over again, and came up with around the same number every time.
    The whole thing gave me a such a headache trying to figure it out perfectly, that at this point I don't give a flip how fast i walk per hour any more lol I just speed ahead as fast as my legs will take me. I'm 5"8 with a long stride length if that makes a difference?

Aha. Ok that sounds somewhat more likely to the speed then.
    As others have mentioned by far the best headache free method is to use map my walk or similar.
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Endomondo. uses GPS satellite.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Don't use Runkeeper for walking. It's not designed for it and will toss the calorie burn all over the place. It bases the calories on running, which burns more calories. And if you walk slow, it appears to calculate based on running in place or something.

But plenty of apps will show pace. Many overestimate calorie burn as well, but you can correct for that. I use Runkeeper for walking.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Don't use Runkeeper for walking. It's not designed for it and will toss the calorie burn all over the place. It bases the calories on running, which burns more calories. And if you walk slow, it appears to calculate based on running in place or something.

But plenty of apps will show pace. Many overestimate calorie burn as well, but you can correct for that. I use Runkeeper for walking.

I'm a bit suss on that MayMyRun app. I used it to calculate walking, and it was just OFF!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

I'm a bit suss on that MayMyRun app. I used it to calculate walking, and it was just OFF!

I've yet to find any app that is really close for walking. The MapMy(Whatever) app was grossly off, as was Endomondo, and Strava won't do it either. RunKeeper is closer, but still high.

On some of them it's the RMR that destroys the calorie burn. They factor really high. Endomondo put my RMR/BMR at almost 3300 calories. I could start an exercise mode, set the phone on a table, and rack up 160 calories per hour. Scary.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The ol stop watch and fitness tracker seems to be the most reliable way..
  • TEB4Me
    TEB4Me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't want another app to drain my battery bc I'm already using the Fitbit app. I just wish they'd add the average mph feature like most other fitness apps have. :|
    I also just wish they'd bring back the awesome caloriesperhour site!
    It had amazing calculators on it and seems very accurate. Oh well... :/

Thanks again for all your input! :)
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    TEB4Me wrote: »

I use this link too - under "pace" tab, enter your distance and how long it took you. It breaks everthing down for you. For example. If you enter that it took you 50 minutes to go 5 miles, it returns the following results:
    Result
    Your pace is:

10 Minutes Per Mile
    or 6 Minutes 12.82 Seconds Per Kilometer
    or 6 Miles Per Hour
    or 9.66 Kilometers Per Hour
    or 160.94 Meters Per Minute
    or 2.68 Meters Per Second
    or 176 Yards Per Minute
    or 2.93 Yards Per Second
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to run your Fitbit app while you walk? Doesn't your fitbit store that data and you sync later? You could easily run a different app and track with your fitbit at the same time.
  • annleg83
    annleg83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you don't need to keep your Fitbit map open. I'd use Map My Walk (or Map My Run) You start it up when you walk and it will show your pace and your course and it doesn't eat up the battery (just make sure you have your apps set to only work when you have them open - that includes the Fitbit app - that thing will drain your battery by refreshing all day/night.

Just today I went for a walk - started up Map My Run - set the activity to walk and hit start. As I walked, I could look at my pace, but I just wait until I'm finished and it shows me my pace.

Good Luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As others have said, download an app like mapmyfitness or run keeper - they'll tell you distance and pace easily.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Endomondo on your smart phone will use GPS and tell you your pace live. It will also track your peak, your personal bests, your average per, etc. Fitbit is pretty weak overall. Any of the apps listed here that incorporate GPS will be a lot better.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are apps for that right?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to run your Fitbit app while you walk? Doesn't your fitbit store that data and you sync later? You could easily run a different app and track with your fitbit at the same time.

Yes. Turn off the "all day sync" in the Fitbit app. Saves your phone juice. I keep the Bluetooth turned off, too, until I need it. Just manually sync once a day (or when you're plugged in).
  • TEB4Me
    Options
    annleg83 wrote: »
    you don't need to keep your Fitbit map open. I'd use Map My Walk (or Map My Run) You start it up when you walk and it will show your pace and your course and it doesn't eat up the battery (just make sure you have your apps set to only work when you have them open - that includes the Fitbit app - that thing will drain your battery by refreshing all day/night.

Just today I went for a walk - started up Map My Run - set the activity to walk and hit start. As I walked, I could look at my pace, but I just wait until I'm finished and it shows me my pace.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much! :)
    Sounds great but I love seeing my walk mapped right on my Fitbit dashboard so I can look at them anytime I want-precious walks etc.
    that data probably doesn't transfer from another app to Fitbit would it?
    Or does the Fitbit hr charge have gps in the actual devise?

• TEB4Me
    Options

Yes. Turn off the "all day sync" in the Fitbit app. Saves your phone juice. I keep the Bluetooth turned off, too, until I need it. Just manually sync once a day (or when you're plugged in).

Thank you!:) I do leave it syncing only when I manually do it when I turn blutooth on, since I don't leave it on to save juice.
    I just wonder if I don't log my walk thru the app w gps if it wouldn't show me my walked map in my Fitbit one?
    I really like seeing my mapped walks in my Fitbit dashboard. :)
  • TEB4Me
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    If you are just doing minutes/mile to MPH you can use google:
    just search for "8 minutes/mile to mph" (replace with your number of course)

Not sure if that is what you are looking for but pretty easy.

Thank you so much!! I will try that! :)
  • TEB4Me
    Options

Does the Fitbit hr charge devise have gps in it? I was thinking I had to have the Fitbit app open so it can track it using gps thru my phone. I wanted to see the mapped walk in my Fitbit dashboard and thought this was the only way...

Thanks!:)
  • TEB4Me
    Options
    joolie1234 wrote: »
    TEB4Me wrote: »

I use this link too - under "pace" tab, enter your distance and how long it took you. It breaks everthing down for you. For example. If you enter that it took you 50 minutes to go 5 miles, it returns the following results:
    Result
    Your pace is:

10 Minutes Per Mile
    or 6 Minutes 12.82 Seconds Per Kilometer
    or 6 Miles Per Hour
    or 9.66 Kilometers Per Hour
    or 160.94 Meters Per Minute
    or 2.68 Meters Per Second
    or 176 Yards Per Minute
    or 2.93 Yards Per Second

Ok thanks! :)
    I'll try it again. Maybe I just missed it somehow.