"Are you Pregnant?" ~ "Nope, just fat, thanks"

Options
This is not pretty, just an FYI...

So, I have been rather ill lately and have been in and out of my doctor's office. I went to my local pharmacy on Monday to pick up another round of antibiotics and some pain killers. As I speak to the tech she pulls one of my prescriptions but not the other. I explain that i'm in need of 2 and she goes to speak with the pharmacist. She comes back and stated that the pharmacist needed to talk to me at the Consultation Window.

No problem! I walk over there thinking nothing of it and then WHAM!!!! He asks (while looking at my stomach), "Ma'am, please don't be offended but I need to know that your not pregnant." O-M-G!

FK NO! i'm not pregnant, just fat ya A-HOLE! Thanks!

I went home and my poor husband asked me what was wrong. I shut down, completely. I finally told him this morning why I was so mad on Monday...

The truth is, i'm not mad that the pharmacist asked me if I was pregnant, i'm mad because I had worked so hard to take off so much weight and I have let it start to creep back on again. Unfortunately, it's ALL coming back to my stomach. I've always been pretty well proportioned but all of a sudden everything is hitting my belly.

I'm thinking about when I lose another 10lbs going back to speak with that same pharmacist and thanking him for the swift kick in the *kitten* =)

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Man, I'd never ask someone that--though in that case I understand why he had no choice. :(

I'm a guy and when I gained back a lot of weight, it all went to my belly. So I have a pregnant belly shape going on. Can't call it a beer belly, either- I don't drink.
  • kategottli
    kategottli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hold all my weight in my stomach, and I get the same thing more often than I really would like (heck, even ONCE is more often than I would like).

Eventually I was sick of hearing "when's the baby due?" and used that to motivate me to lose 30lbs from May 2010 to May 2011. Except now, the same "A-HOLE"s that asked when the baby was due are now going "you were pregnant last year..."

No, no I wasn't.

You just can't win!

Best of luck to you. My starting weight was 241 and I'm trying to get down to 160. Just joined myfitnesspal this week and am looking forward to a kick... I had plateaued around the 30lb mark and have been there since November. I'm in a wedding party next year and don't want to look like a pregnant bridesmaid!!
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    That man is a *kitten* if you ask me ! Never .. ever.. ask a woman that unless you are 110 % sure she is prego ! I would of said F**k Off and left ! Well grabbed my meds 1st the stormed out....

But with that said.. maybe I am just angry that he asked.. but in his profession maybe he had to make sure... but NO.. Wait.. You had RX's .. so your doctor would of not given to you if you were indeed prego.. So I stand by my he is a *kitten* !
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wonder if he doesn't have to ask that of every female taking that medication? Although I definitely would be offended too if he made it seem like he actually did think I was pregnant.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would be pretty upset. Good for you for taking that and using it in a positive way!! I bet that pharmacist would love for you to thank him later though. I bet that doesn't happen very often if he has to ask a non-pregnant woman if she's pregnant - ouch!

BTW - your daughter is beautiful!! And, I'm in MI as well. :smile:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah but their are certain medicines they will double check with anyone on that question because they can be so harmful to the unborn child.
    if anything you should stick with that pharmacist for being so diligent.

its kinda like my son is on two different strengths of prozac (to make up the strenght he needs) we get it filled at the same place every time. Every time when i drop off AND pick up they ask me if it is correct that there are two different strengths.
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    My belly is a major issue for me too - ive been asked "when im due" and had other comments such as "wow - your having another! arent you brave"

I was out with some friends a while ago and a friend of theirs was buying the drinks - he asked what id like and when i said "red wine please" he looked at me and then said "is that a good idea in your condition?" i have to admit i very nearly punched him -- i laughed it off and then cried when i got home.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This title caught my attention...I work at a preschool where 3 other teachers are pregnant. Before I started this site I was trying to lose weight but never tracked calories and I had a child come up to me and ask if I was pregnant too. I looked at hime and said nope I'm just fat. He said oh..he didn't think anything else about it but it sure made me think!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    That man is a *kitten* if you ask me ! Never .. ever.. ask a woman that unless you are 110 % sure she is prego ! I would of said F**k Off and left ! Well grabbed my meds 1st the stormed out....

so you should just go ahead and dispense medication that could kill the baby just to avoid embarassment????? i would rather a little embarass ment
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! That happend to me once as well. My grandfather asked my mom if I was pregnant again!!! I just had a big shirt on....but was of course overweight....but, still!!! Really depresses you. It didnt encourage me to lose weight though. That was years ago.....I just got sad. But, now....I am focused and love this site! By using this site....it is absolutely the FIRST time Ive been able to lose the weight! So encouraging!
    The pharmacist was just doing his job.....but.......I like how you are looking at it now.....he will end up being your savior! He is the reason you have got started on your lifestyle change.....even if he doesnt know it. But, from what you say.....looks like HE WILL KNOW IT in a few months! lol : )
    Good luck with your journey.....Im 42 ....and the stomach was growing.....and well.....it was just time to fix it!!! So, here I am!!!! Hope you get lots of support and are there for others as well. Sad story.....but kind of cute at the same time. It will be a happy ending!!! Just stick to this support site!!!! You are on the right road now!!!! BEst of luck!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    he could of played it off or something. He should of just said "not to use this drug if you are pregnant or nursing" and ran over how to take it, just being nonchalant about it. Im sure if he wasnt sure if your were preggo, and if he said it this way, it wouldnt of been insulting. Im sorry that you had this happen to you = ( ive had it happen once, but it was from a 5 yr old kid and i had a baby a month before, so it didnt affect me as much, but it sticks in your head thats for sure.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have had that same thing happen to me while i was out at a bar.
    A friend of mine came up to me and asked if i was pregnant. Talk about the most horrible feeling in the world.....

Well that made me re-evaluate my lifestyle, and the way i looked. I decided to weigh myself, and needless to say i had put on 25 pounds!!!
    Well, 7 months later of hard work and dedication I am proud to say i do NOT look pregnant anymore. LOL

USE IT AS MOTIVATION!!! <3
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that was a legal issue. Many meds cannot be taken if one is pregnant due to harm to the fetus. He had to ask.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am losing everywhere but my tummy, so I look more pregnant now than I did when I was 40 pounds heavier, sooooo frustrating!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    In most cases, I think asking if someone is pregnant is a horrible idea, but in this specific case, I'm pretty sure he was just doing his job, I know it may hurt because you are sensitive to the topic, but I doubt he was asking just because he wanted to know, more likely he was asking because of possible side effects that could be a problem for pregnancy. I wouldn't take something like that to heart, for all you know, there's a store or pharmaceutical policy that requires him to ask all females of child bearing ages if they are pregnant before dispensing the drugs. The same as he would speak to you if he noticed 2 medications that will interact with each other.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I was *also* asked "when are you do?" by a funny guy at work. Well... he had previously had a pretty big belly while I had not. He got into fitness while I, on the other hand, had quit smoking and gained about 50 lbs.

You are very wise in taking that incident in such a positive way and using it as motivation - much the same as the "motivating" effect of that guy's remark to me (when I was about 30 pounds heavier).

There's actually a Budhist philosophy that very little in this world is 100% good or 100% bad. Another way to look at it is sometimes good things come out of bad things.

Good luck with your (renewed) journey. :glasses:
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me. I was down 30 lbs from my heaviest, at the dry cleaners picking up my sexy new black dress for my company's Christmas party and the dry cleaner looked at me and said "When are you due?" I was like "Excuse me." Because at that moment I didn't realize what she was asking. She said again "When are you due?" while making a gesture towards my stomach. That is when it clicked and I firmly said "I'm not pregnant." The worst part is, she didn't apologize. Never using that dry cleaner again! Grrrr

Sometimes what people say can be so destructive to us. We are like thin pieces of thread. It only takes one snip for us to snap. But you have a very good attitude. You took that comment and turned it around to be a positive motivational kick in the *kitten*.

BTW, after that comment I lost an additional 31 lbs. Maybe her comment was a good kick in the *kitten* for me as well.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    There is alot of difference though between unnecessary rudeness, and important health questions as in the op.
    and no the question should never be asked unless it is in intrestest of health issures . though these can be not as obvious as some like medications, x rays, certain chemicals including cleaning chemicals. and yes animal health issues can be of great concern with people who are pregnant, there are parasites that animals can have that can be a problem.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    There is alot of difference though between unnecessary rudeness, and important health questions as in the op.
    and no the question should never be asked unless it is in intrestest of health issures . though these can be not as obvious as some like medications, x rays, certain chemicals including cleaning chemicals. and yes animal health issues can be of great concern with people who are pregnant, there are parasites that animals can have that can be a problem.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hum, I think it's their duty to make sure knowing if you are pregnant or not while giving you drugs. I understand why you might be a little sensitive about the subject. But try not to take the wrong way. You are doing fabulous.