Measuring bodyfat %

Options
fatty2sixpack
fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
When using a bodyfat % calculator I have come to believe that I have 70% body fat. I'm thinking about buying a skinfold caliper to see if 70% body fat is accurate. I want to know if the skinfold caliper can say that you have I have 70% body fat or does it go to a certain bodyfat % and then stops?

Also I'm thinking about using the bod pod if the skinfold caliper method isn't for me cuz I am morbidly obese weighing 480 pounds. What are your opinions on the bod pod?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    My question would be at this present time, what are you achieving by worrying about an accurate bodyfat percentage?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Really body fat doesn't matter too much for you right now. The numbers you have are good enough for you to work off. Re check your measurements and calliper readings every month and keep a log.

A body pod may be worth the money down the road, but for now I would say save your money.
    Unless you want the fancy pictures to look back on.

Cheers, h.
  • fatty2sixpack
    fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    My question would be at this present time, what are you achieving by worrying about an accurate bodyfat percentage?

Using a tdee caculator I have the option of putting in my bodyfat %. Without it my tdee comes to 3,539 calories per day. With 70% bodyfat put in the caculator my tdee actually comes to 2,137 calories per day.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a caliper, because the measurements are tricky, but I also wouldn't trust the tdee calculator for your body fat percentage. Just look in the mirror.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The bod pod is how I determine my body fat percent, but I get to go to those appointments for free through the military. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even try to figure it out. And honestly, at this point in your life, I'm not sure the specific number would be useful enough that you should invest a lot of time or money to figure it out. You already know your have a lot to lose and that you're carrying too much fat. If I were in your shoes and didn't have a simple way to determine it, I'd probably just work on losing weight and then work on the body fat stuff later. Just a thought.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What calorie goal does MFP give you?

I would got with MFP to begin with, log your exercise separately on MFP for the calorie burn and eat back a portion of those calories.

Don't worry about using an external TDEE calculator until you have an established exercise routine.

Cheers, h.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about body fat %. You're clinically categorized as obese morbidly obese and eating just 3000 calories a day will help you lose weight right off the bat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I might do it just to have a baseline to compare against later on, given how scales and calipers can be inaccurate. I didn't get a good BF measurement, nor tape measure kind, when I started. I wish I had to see how far I've come beyond a number on a scale.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Calipers are not a good tool to use because down the road when the OP succeeds they will be useless due to skin stretch.

DXA and even more so Bodypod may have size limits for the table and/or enclosure.

I just did a DXA scan and the tech was telling me how difficult it is to get accurate readings for people over 350... for whatever that's worth.

In any case, I am not sure what TDEE calculators you use. OR AS MENTIONED ALREADY the need.

At this point of time you will handily lose weight while eating 3000 Calories a day.

At your size I wouldn't even consider anything less as you have a long way to go and cuts to 2500 and 2000 can come down the road when you are in your 300s and lower.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    2,137 calories per day probably safest bet! :)
  • herrerajr693
    herrerajr693 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just focus on losing pounds for now until you are within average body weight (and you will get there just stay persistent!). Once you hit that milestone then you can decide how lean you want to be which is where BF% comes into play. Until then focus on the goal at hand.