exercise daily

Options
beth651
beth651 Posts: 34 Member
Are you better off working out daily or work out 2 days and then have a day of rest and then repeat?

Replies

• JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    2 days is pretty low, 3-5 days is recommended, but daily definitely won't hurt you -- just make sure that if you're doing strength training, you're using different muscles each work out so you give your body time to repair itself.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I personally do cardio everyday but I do a split of upper body, lower body, abs, then rest (where I do an hour of cardio) for lifting.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I work out every day, but I am now at a point where I can workout for 2 hours doing tennis or something and not be sore at all the next day.

I try to alternate:
    Heavy weights, light cardio
    Heavy cardio, moderate weights

And then when I just feel tired and dead, I take an off day. Or suck down some pre-workout drink and push through it. Depends on my mood.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity which is 6 days a week but I guess I am just INSANE! LOL
  • dcladydi
    dcladydi Posts: 95
    Options
    I have to do it daily so I can stay motivated. I only take one rest day and sometimes it's hard to start back up after that... but I make myself . Another motivator is I have a membership at our community gym and get a discount off our membership if I workout 12 days out of the month.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    I usually workout 6 days a week, but have been known to go 10 days without a rest day depending on my schedule.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i try to do some exercise every day, some times life gets in the way of that.

So long as i get atleast 5 days in a week i am pleased.
  • sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    i mainly do it daily because I know if I don't, I'll lose motivation and I will NOT start it again for weeks at a time. But that's just my own opinion.
  • sonia_vive
    Options
    I read an article by Jillian Michaels that says it is OK to do cardio everyday, but not strength training unless you are focusing on different muscle groups.
    I recently started Turbo Fire and I am loving it! It is mostly cardio but I just follow the schedule that came with the program and when she tells me to do strength training I do. There is a 5-day kick start inferno program which mainly consists of cardio, so I feel like that is the best way to burn calories and fat.
    It seems every quick start program just takes you through a week of cardio, although if you have time to do both it is really great to boost muscle strength as it raises your Basal Meatbolic Rate, which just means you burn more calories in your sleep.
    I am not a nutritionist or dietician by any means, I just do a lot of research! If I am wrong I am sure someone that knows will correct me, this is just how I have come to understand it! Hope this helps!
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am working out everyday, Tae Bo, Zumba, weight lifting and running alternating and I was told that I need to work out but also have days of rest because I'll hurt myself, But I do workout everyday.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i generally workout week days and not weekends, purely because that's how my life goes, creche isn't open on the weekends at they gym, and i work saturdays.

mon - cardio and/or weights
    tue - cardio and/or weights
    wed - RPM / spin class - cardio and in the afternoon if i have time and weather i go for a walk
    thurs - cardio and a reasonbably advanced yoga class OR
    thurs - cardio and a step class (i try and do alternate weeks)
    fri - cardio and pump class (weights)

weekends i go for a long walk if i get the chance, but that's not always