Favorite non sugar added beans recipes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm looking for more (easy) recipes that use beans (and don't use sugar/refined carbs).

Does anyone have any good one? I'm getting tired of refried beans. So far I've done baked beans (finding a recipe that doesn't use sugar wasn't easy) and some smoked sausage/white beans recipe, and it's good, I'd just like something different... Thanks!

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Chili!!!

Ground 1lb lean ground beef or ground turkey w/ 1 medium onion, 2 clove garlic. Drain. Add to crockpot. Add 4 cans beans, any variety, I like black, white, and 2 kidney (do not drain), then two large cans diced tomatoes, 1 packet taco seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can also add extra veggies, or whatever you like, this is just a good, simple, basic recipe. I serve mine with cornbread.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I like to have a cold bean salad--- avocado, tomatoes, feta cheese and either garbanzo beans or red kidney beans. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i like to scramble eggs and add beans and avocado.. also roasted potatoes and a little salsa.. about to make it right now!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is my current favourite; very satisfying.

http://www.food.com/recipe/bab-leves-hungarian-bean-soup-119049

Roasting the flour in fat is very important to the flavour and consistency of the soup. But you may use butter or any oil you prefer.

It can be made with our without meat. My last soup was made from chicken stock rather than ham.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker Ham & Beans is my favorite. Super easy, cheap and so delicious! You MUST use a ham bone. Plain diced ham meat doesn't give it the same richness and depth of flavor.

food.com/recipe/crock-pot-ham-and-beans-96347

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sugar in bean dishes? :o

I use a small amount of beans in minestrone soup, and in chili (barley or dried corn, soaked overnight, soak beans too, if from dry, lamb mince, onions, garlic, chili, peppers, squash, celery, tomato paste/passata). If lentils count as small beans, I use beans in burritos, with minced or chopped beef, pork or chicken, and in onion soup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sugar in bean dishes? :o

I use a small amount of beans in minestrone soup, and in chili (barley or dried corn, soaked overnight, soak beans too, if from dry, lamb mince, onions, garlic, chili, peppers, squash, celery, tomato paste/passata). If lentils count as small beans, I use beans in burritos, with minced or chopped beef, pork or chicken, and in onion soup.

Took me forever to find a recipe for baked beans without any sugar or product with sugar, so yeah!

Great ideas there, keep them coming!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I add them to anything I can. Last night I mashed some beans in with laughing cow cheese and sun dried tomatoes to make a cheesy sauce to use on a pizza. The texture was a little different but it was really good. It would have been good on pasta too. Just now I mixed some beans in with cottage cheese and melted it, mashed it then again used it as cheesy sauce for fish tacos. Later I'll be blending them with chipotle in adobo and probably a little water since i have no stock to use as a sauce on spaghetti squash.

You don't really taste the beans. I'm working on a can of northern beans right now so if I think of anything else I'll post.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I recently made black eyed peas, onion, tomato and kale in the slow cooker with salt, pepper, and onion and garlic powder, it was reeeally good.

Garbanzo/chick peas are really tasty with onion and tomatoes, salt, pepper and cumin.
    Sprinkle a bit of feta cheese on top!

I prefer dried beans and you do not need to soak them before cooking, just wash them off.

Navy/white beans are great with seasoning and onion and tomato. Eat plain like a soup or even with tortillas or toast.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Refried beans, or if you don't want the added oil, I simply boil my beans and make my own burrito bowls, or I make taco salad :)
  • knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Black bean salad with lime juice, cumin, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, diced red onion, a dash of red wine vinegar, and some olive oil is delicious over salad greens.

This might be a bit of a splurge, but there is an AMAZING recipe on food52 for a warm skillet of garbanzo beans, spinach, chorizo, and goat cheese. I think you can definitely cut back on the chorizo and use it more as a condiment while still getting great flavor.

I see you've done a white bean dish with smoked sausage; if you liked that, you may enjoy sausage and white bean soup. I use turkey Italian sausage in mine and cannellini beans. You brown the sausage in a dutch oven and just add beans, chicken broth, a sprig of fresh sage and a whole head of garlic with the top lopped off and loose peel removed from the outside and simmer for as long as you can possibly stand it. It's the epitome of comfort food!

These are just a few of the bean dishes that frequently appear at my table.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have try all of these recipes!!
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like bean salad- white kidney beans with avocado, cherry tomatoes or quartered heirloom tomatoes, salt and pepper, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Not sure about sugar in the glaze but you could always make your own balsamic reduction.