Homemade bars - calories?

Options
I bought a food bar from a local organic place that makes everything from scratch locally. It's a 3oz bar and the ingredients are butternut squash, oats, honey, sunflower seeds, dates, pumpkin seeds, cashews, hemp seeds, goji, apple cider vinegar, salt, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, camu camu, chia seeds, almond meal, shredded coconut, coconut oil, ginger, and "Sun Is Shining Green Superfood Powder."

Looking at the most (and most calorie-dense) ingredients in MFP (butternut squash, assorted nuts, coconut oil) my best guess for the number of calories in here is 300 but I have no idea how much of each ingredient is in the bar. Based on the consistency, it's mostly butternut squash, oats, and nuts.

Does that sound about right? Of course I'm not looking for anyone to tell me because that's basically impossible, but do you think I'm in the ballpark?

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I usually either look up recipes for similar foods & see what the calorie range is & pick one towards the high range & enter it in, or I check and see if there are any similar entries in the MFP database & again pick a higher calorie one.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Call the owner and explain that you track your nutrition. They may have a nutritional analysis done on it, or could even plug it into a calculator like the MFP one for you.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Call the owner and explain that you track your nutrition. They may have a nutritional analysis done on it, or could even plug it into a calculator like the MFP one for you.

This is a great idea!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I see bars like this in the natural/organic grocery stores all the time. They seriously range from 300-500 calories.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

That is such a great idea, thank you so much!