How to Start Weightlifting?

Options
I'm back on MFP after being gone for ages. I'm back up to my original starting weight of 240 lbs. I'd like to get started weightlifting and I'd like to lift heavy. Is it possible to figure this out on my own and just use machines at a gym? Or should I get a trainer that can spot me as I use free-weights? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :smiley:

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can figure it out yourself. Read some books, check out exrx.net, read stickies on Reddit, watch YouTube form videos.

A trainer may or may not give you good advice, and they're very expensive.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes add lifting! Have you done weightlifting before? I don't think a well-rounded lifting program would be all machines. Cables are great because they increase muscle activity due to time under tension, and free weights promote better balance and can give you a better range of motion. There are a lot of heavy lifts with free weights that don't necessarily need a spotter. Plus there are a lot of movements that are more about control than necessarily lifting a huge weight (concentration curls, tricep kickbacks, lateral raises, etc).

Adequate form is necessary before lifting heavy, so make sure you have form down. I would suggest you get a trainer if you think you need one to get proper form, but I would caution you to go with a trainer that respects your goals to lift heavy. If you have weight to lose, some trainers will try to have you do weight workouts that barely have rest periods and these are not promoting strength and heavy lifts.

I love bodybuilding.com for exercises and advice. You can lift heavy without a spotter unless you are trying to do a 1RM. You can use dumbbells on bench instead of barbell and drop them to the sides if you are struggling. You can usually set the catch on a squat rack. You can use a smith machine to get used to some movements.

Good luck though! Hope it works out for you.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I started lifting free weights in January with a friend. We started with the stronglifts 5x5 app because we could only handle learning a few moves & they all came with really good form videos. We also learned we were pretty weak! We started with an empty bar that weighs about 18 lbs.
    Around that that same time I learned about the All Pro progression and we have switched to that. It adds weight more gradually in 10% increments. We do about 7 different exercises now, all with 20-30 lb weight. In April I'll be moving up to 35/40ish weight.
    I'm happy going at this slow pace. I'll be eating in a deficit some months more so it's not like I'm missing big muscle gains and doing the same weight for more reps over a longer time has been a great way to really iron out form issues that can lead to injury.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started with Body Pump classes at the gym and then moved onto Stronglifts 5x5 which I absolutely love! I bought the book Starting Strength to read as well, and it is fantastic. I'd highly recommend x
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'll second the SL5x5 as a great beginner program. Body pump is not technically strength training because it's too many reps but I enjoyed the classes for a while and it takes it some form with lighter weights if you've never lifted before. I'd be wary of using a trainer unless you know a good one - often they give bad advice! stronglifts is easy to follow by just watching the you tube videos and downloading the app.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean strength training from the convos above, as weightlifting is an an Olympic sport that consists of the snatch and clean and jerk. If you want to start weightlifting, that's great, as it does build strength, agility, and explosiveness. You can find a weightlifting club here: http://www.teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting/clubs-lwc/find-a-club.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Like @scolaris I have opted for the All Pro programme. I like feeling secure in the weight I am moving before I increase, so a rep progression before a weight progression works well for me. Just finished my 2nd weight progression.

There is a link in the thread below that explains how to work out your 1 or 10 rep max so you know what weight to start at.

My gym only has the 45 lbs bar so I have adapted the lifts, except dead lift, to body bars and hand weights.

Cheers, h.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    <3 I got the all pro lead from you @middlehaitch
  • Dumpty393
    Dumpty393 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yess! Lifting is fantastic!

You should DEFINITELY research good form and practice a lot with really low weight. It is very very important you have good form.

I honestly recommend you do strength training. Since you will be a beginner you will definitely acquire what is called "nooks gainz," which is basically an increase of muscle mass while having some fat loss. That will only last for so long because typically you need a surplus In calories to gain muscle mass and a deficit in calories to lose body fat.

What I recommend is reading up and watching videos on good form for squatting, deadlifts, and benchpress.

Those three exercises are a must for weight lifting!! They will burn the most calories as they are compound exercises and require numerous muscle groups to execute. You will get super strong doing them as long as you are doing them with very good form and push yourself by doing a bit more weight every so often.

But MAKE SURE YOU LEARN GOOD FORM FIRST!!!!!!!

Have fun! I promise it'll get addicting as you try to reach new numbers down the road lol
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the best thing you can do for yourself exercise-wise. People already said what needs to be said, but you definitely can learn on your own if you have to. There are plenty of videos online and things to read. Pick a good beginner program and stick to it. Perfect the moves and increase the weight as you're able. You'll be good to go!

It really is a lot of fun, and it will go a long way towards making you stronger overall and transforming your body. Have fun!!! :smile: