Milk impeding loss of fat?

Options
Hey everyone! I've been very fortunate with my weight loss, as I have lost 15 pounds fairly quickly. However, the belly fat, especially my love handles, aren't disappearing.

I've been trying to isolate the issue, and lately I've had doubts about all of the milk I drink. I drink Fairlife milk (about 4 cups a day at least), as it is chock-full of protein. However, I've often wondered if this is what is causing my belly fat to stick around?

I'd like to add that I'm running about 10 miles a week, and counting my macros pretty strictly.

If anyone has any ideas or advice as to what could be behind this problem, I would greatly appreciate your input!

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is usually the very last to go. :) There's nothing you can do to target weight loss in any particular area, and as long as you're in calorie deficit and not drinking, like a gallon of whole milk a day, I really doubt milk has anything to do with it.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Nope. You have to continue in a calorie deficit. With or without milk doesn't matter - a calorie deficit is all that will get rid of belly fat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Continue the program, consider strength training so that are happier with what you see, and take another good look in the mirror to look for what you are proud of!
  • rca27801
    rca27801 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is usually the very last to go. :) There's nothing you can do to target weight loss in any particular area, and as long as you're in calorie deficit and not drinking, like a gallon of whole milk a day, I really doubt milk has anything to do with it.

Sigh. So I've heard. Problem is, I don't want to lose any more weight. Not sure how to go about losing fat around my midsection without dropping additional pounds.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    rca27801 wrote: »

Sigh. So I've heard. Problem is, I don't want to lose any more weight. Not sure how to go about losing fat around my midsection without dropping additional pounds.

You can't. You have to lose weight to lose fat.
  • concordancia
    Options

Strength training, with a careful balance of calories and macros.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Are you suggesting a recomp?
  • concordancia
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Basically. However, the fact of the matter is that strength training often gives people confidence, so that they are happier with their bodies even with negligible change.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You need to keep losing fat, and to do that you need to keep losing weight. No way around it. Why do you want to stop losing weight?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Basically. However, the fact of the matter is that strength training often gives people confidence, so that they are happier with their bodies even with negligible change.

Or he could lose the weight and be confident because he met is goal.
  • rca27801
    rca27801 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You need to keep losing fat, and to do that you need to keep losing weight. No way around it. Why do you want to stop losing weight?

I'm 6'2'' and 184 pounds. Didn't want to drop into an unhealthy weight.
  • concordancia
    Options

Or he could lose the weight and be confident because he met is goal.

His goal is to not lose more weight!
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options

It won't be unhealthy unless your BF% drops too low, and it doesn't sound like you're in danger of that. Cut down to <= 10% BF, no matter what the scale says, and your belly fat should pretty much be gone.

If you look too skinny, or you just want the number on the scale to be higher, I recommend you gain via weighlifting, rather than simply getting the fat back.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If you gain muscle after dropping the fat/weight, you'll still be at the weight you like.

muscle_zpsqquja4ua.jpg
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi!

Easy solution!
    Implement strength training in your routine, and keep your milk around! Drink it as a post-workout snack, about 20-30 minutes after your workout.
    Milk is the perfect post-workout snack, especially with a little chocolate syrup, because it has the carbs and protein your muscles need to recover.
    And why strength train? Because it will ensure the loss of fat, and ONLY FAT, it will result in the tight and firm appearance that you want, and it helps you build more muscle! Muscle burns almost 2x the amount of calories per lb of body weight per day than fat.
    I would do a little research and find some ab exercises that you like! It sounds like you lower abs is where you are trying to target. Try laying down with your hands under your bum, and performing what's called a reverse crunch. You legs are straight in the air at 90 degrees, and you're just going to use your lower abs to lift your bum off the floor. It's a wonderful exercise, YouTube it! To make it harder you can attach ankle weights. Also most gyms have a couple of ab machines, try those too for your upper abs and obliques!

I hope you get the 6 pack you want :smile:

Cheers,
    Kay
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Do a recomp eating at your maintenance calories and lifting heavy using a good program. If you are not lifting right now, consider Stronglifts 5x5. Only a handful of exercises to learn, focus is on compound lifts that work more than an isolated muscle, and it will lay down a good foundation of strength that will serve you well when you switch to other programs. This is a slow process, but it does work. Measure progress with body measurements and photos month by month.

The other option is a bulk and cut cycle where again while doing a heavy lifting program, you instead eat a little above maintenance for a few months which should put on some muscle. Then you go into a deficit again to lose the fat. The goal is to gain muscle more quickly than one would with a recomp. The danger for some who have had weight problems is that they can end up putting on more fat than muscle or relapse in a way that goes back to having lots of fat.

Take your pick, but at your height and weight the issue seems to be that you don't have a lot of muscle. If you lost a lot of weight quickly eating at a large deficit, it is likely you lost a lot of lean mass while losing the fat. For that matter even if you lost a moderate amount of weight but lost it quickly you likely lost a lot of lean mass as well. Heavy lifting will help put some muscle on, but it is a far slower process than what is needed to lose it.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Start doing kettle bell swings (awesome for belly fat) - make sure know how to do them properly as you can hurt your back.

Proper warm up is also needed.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

So, in reality you are unhappy about your body fat at goal weight.
    Bulk and cut.

Or more specifically - start strength training (stay in a small deficit for 4 weeks) to give your body time to adapt to training. Then bulk by adding cals to gain 1/2 lb a week for 4-6 weeks, then cut slowly while training. Rinse repeat.

Look it up. Get your macros aligned.