150 Calorie Low Fat Strawberry Almond Icecream

Options
OverweightZombie
OverweightZombie Posts: 12 Member
I took a basic icecream recipe and altered it to be diet friendly. The recipe was handwritten on a napkin from the 60's so i have no idea who invented it. lol :) My mother had this old icecream maker from the 70's that hadn't been used in 20 years so I borrowed it to experiment with. I could not get unsweetened creamer, so i had to use the regular stuff. If you can find unsweetened creamer, use that instead as it will drastically reduce the sugars. If you don't like almond milk, you can substitute soy, rice or coconut milk.

What you need:
2.5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 cups Vanilla Almond Coffee Creamer
1.25 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
.75 cups Splenda or other Zero Calorie Sweetener
2-3 Tablespoons Arrowroot Flour/Starch

Directions:

Divide the almond milk into 1 cup and set aside .25 cup. Add 2 cups strawberries to the rest of the milk and add the creamer and sweetener. Put mixture into a blender and mix well. Set aside the remaining .5 cup strawberries for later. Next, pour the mixture into a large pot and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-low heat and stir every few minutes. Just before it boils, mix together the remaining milk and arrowroot flour. Add it to the mixture just as it comes to a boil and remove from the heat. It should thicken to heavy cream.

Chill the mixture for several hours or overnight in the fridge. Once very cold, add it to your icecream maker. When the icecream is almost finished, add the remaining strawberries.

Makes approximately 6 servings (around 4 cups or 1 quart)

Nutritional Info:

Calories 145
Sodium 31mg
Sugar 25g
Fiber 2g
Fat 0g
Carb 30g

I'm going to try a few different recipes over the next few weeks. Perhaps one with chocolate or mint...or both;)

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy.
  • OverweightZombie
    Options
    Well, all my icecream is gone, so time to try a new flavour. Mango passionfruit is next. :smiley:
  • Thistimesforrealxox
    Thistimesforrealxox Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sounds yummy! Will have to give it a try if I get a icecream craving, since the wam weather will be coming back soon! :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    While it looks interesting it seems like so much work, and also, is there any reason why you are avoiding fat? I can have a serving of Edy's slow churned ice cream for 100-120 calories a serving, so I'm just wondering.
  • OverweightZombie
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    While it looks interesting it seems like so much work, and also, is there any reason why you are avoiding fat? I can have a serving of Edy's slow churned ice cream for 100-120 calories a serving, so I'm just wondering.

Oh, I'm not avoiding fat, I just can't have dairy. Almond milk is my favourite, so I tend to use it for everything. haha
  • SiaB12
    SiaB12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! I can't have dairy, and the store bought dairy free ice cream is always so high in calories and sugar!! I make my own yogurt & you just inspired me to give ice cream a try too :smile:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Oh, I'm not avoiding fat, I just can't have dairy. Almond milk is my favourite, so I tend to use it for everything. haha

Okay, I can see that. Almond Strawberry does sound like an interesting combo. Please make and send me some to taste :)
  • OverweightZombie
    Options
    SiaB12 wrote: »
    Sounds yummy!! I can't have dairy, and the store bought dairy free ice cream is always so high in calories and sugar!! I make my own yogurt & you just inspired me to give ice cream a try too :smile:

I've never tried making yogurt! I'll have to give it a try sometime! (I've been buying soy yogurt, but i really dislike the taste of it)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I like fatty ice cream lol.
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Well, all my icecream is gone, so time to try a new flavour. Mango passionfruit is next. :smiley:

Oh that sounds really good! Let me/us know how it turns out!