I don't know where to start

Options
Hi there, I've decided to branch out and ask the great people of mmf for some pointers motivation and support. I am at the beginning of my weight loss journey once again and I find it hard to even begin. I watch many fitness videos found a lot of great sounding programs but I have not found the one. I was considering the T25 with Shaun T but unsure. Its been 2 years since I last worked out. I've done the 30 day Shred and the Insanity but I want something new. I currently weight 248 on the verge of the 250 mark i'm 5'8 so i'm pretty tall but still over weight. I procrastinate daily, sadly. I start my first year of university in September and I would like to be living a healthy lifestyle by then and I know these things take time but I really would like to set a goal to 200 I know thats alot for someone who's just beginning working out and eating right. I have the motivation mentally but don't know where to begin. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading =^.^=

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to start with tracking everything you eat.
    It can really help you to see what you are really eating and putting into your body.
    I would start drinking a lot of water.
    I would plan meals ahead of time.
    Then I would start to exercise... Just start walking everyday. 30 minutes a day.
    Everybody starts somewhere!
    You can do it!
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Make MFP your new best friend. Log your food faithfully and figure out your meals the night before and stick to it the next day. I just started recently myself (a few weeks) and MFP has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. You can look at my food diary if you like. I've started a pretty strict calorie deficit but its working. I'm averaging .5-1 lb loss a week. Remember to log your drinks too. Depending on what you drink, there are alot of calories that add up there. I have to watch my hazelnut creamer for coffee. There are alot of calories in that little tablespoon so I've switched to skim milk with my Dunkin Donuts coffee every morning. You can see it in my diary. Good luck!
  • JLove115
    JLove115 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just did the 21 day fix, Autumn is pretty inspirational. I have never been able to do a DVD before, but I loved those. You can friend me if you want, I am finding that accountability of other people keeps me on track.
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me something that helps when I'm in a rut and need to get going again is setting a time period to perfect my routine. So for me: logging everything, staying under calories, setting a goal for exercising, etc. It is your mission. Sometimes all it takes is a week. So aim for that - you can start slow. Don't view the end of the week as the end of your healthy period though, view it as a kickstart.

Without fail, this productive week leaves me feeling good and eager to keep going. It reminds me how good it feels to be healthy. I know that I may slip up, but I know that I need to keep pushing forward and treating my body well.

Another thing that helps me is visualizing how I will feel being healthy. Not how I'll look specifically, just a healthier me on the whole. It's easy to get up stairs, I can run around and not get winded, I fill my body with lots of great nutrients, I'm able to set fitness goals and improve, I'm feeling more confident. When you're tempted to veer off course or you've slipped a bit, think of that end goal and embrace it. You can do it, I know so.
  • nicstir
    nicstir Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the wonderful advice!!
  • JLove115
    JLove115 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Routine and creating healthy habits is key!
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just START. Where ever you start is fine. Start by making a one day commitment to track food. Walking for 10 minutes. Going and checking out a gym. Small steps, but each step toward your goal is a victory. The more momentum you gain, the easier it will become.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Start by tracking your food and sticking to your calorie goal. That will have more effect on your weight than any exercise program. What exercise is for is 1) Health 2) Allowing you to eat more calories. It will not in itself bring weight loss, nor is it a good way to establish a calorie deficit. As to programs. I have no real suggestions there.
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to start with tracking everything you eat.
    It can really help you to see what you are really eating and putting into your body.
    I would start drinking a lot of water.
    I would plan meals ahead of time.
    Then I would start to exercise... Just start walking everyday. 30 minutes a day.
    Everybody starts somewhere!
    You can do it!

That's great advice. That's what I did. I would add that If you have a pedometer, I found it help me get moving because you can set your self a target for the day.

There are also great app to help create habbits.

Just remember, weightloss is 80% (or even more) what you eat...so I would suggest starting with calorie counting too.

Good luck on your journey!