Quick Question About Calories

Options
Hello everyone! I recently started weight watchers. I currently weigh 215lbs. I currently use 29 points plus points with WW. I noticed I'm really hungry all the time I eat between 1200-1350 calories a day. At my weight is that a good target for calories, should I adjust it? Any advice when starting working out, and about calories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It sounds a bit low. How much are you currently losing per week? Make sure you track correctly before you change anything - weigh everything and check the entries you are using.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Those calories might be too low, but I can't tell you that. Calorie recommendations also depend on activity level, height and age. You should put your stats into MFP and see what calorie recommendation they give you.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose? Set a sensible (i.e., not drastic) calorie goal. I would think it'd be more than 1350.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started about two weeks ago and have lost 3 lbs. I just started doing calorie counts for exact amts last week. To get to a healthy weight I need to lose at least 50-60 lbs
  • kommodevaran
    edited March 2016
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    I started about two weeks ago and have lost 3 lbs. I just started doing calorie counts for exact amts last week. To get to a healthy weight I need to lose at least 50-60 lbs

Your loss rate is excellent. On 1200-1350 calories a day, you should be losing faster. Not that you should lose faster, you are doing great. So, do you manage to stick to that amount? If you can't stick to it, instead of trying hard and compensating with bingeing/sneaking, increase your goal. Try 1600/day for four weeks, log accurately, and weigh yourself regularly. And eat your fruit and vegetables, meat or other protein sources, enough fat, and get in some grains and dairy every day.
  • xtina315
    Options
    Thank you! I'm trying really hard, I have PCOS, so it makes it a little more difficult to get the weight off. Yes, I manage to stick to that amount, I track every bit that touches my lips lol, but its getting difficult because I'm hungry lol. Thank you for your help, its been a challenge re-learning to eat properly.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you following a diet designed for PCOS? If not, you might want to look into it.

Basically, you will find that cutting way back on carbs and getting lots of protein and healthy fats will not only help with PCOS, but also may address your hunger, making it easier.

If your doctor hasn't pointed you towards a dietician, ask about it. In the meantime, you can just try an off the shelf version, like South Beach Diet.
  • kommodevaran
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Low carb is often suggested for PCOS - would you be willing to try setting your macros to 25% protein, 25% carbs, 50% fat? This will give you - on a 1611 calories allowance - 100 grams each of protein and carbs, and 90 grams fat. I don't know what exactly low carb does for PCOS, but this split is not extreme, so you won't do any harm to yourself on it. You have to find a way of eating that you can live with. The most important thing is that you don't veer off your calories (weekly on average), and if you eat well, in a way that you like and fits your lifestyle, it will be easier, you won't be hungry, and you'll have strength to exercise.
  • xtina315
    Options
    My doctor is thinking about putting me on metformin to see if it will aid in weightloss. I'm slowly trying to cut carbs out, I'm trying to eat fewer. Like with pasta, I've been making veggie noodles with zucchini, instead of the pasta.
  • xtina315
    Options
    Kommodevaran, I'll have to try that. I have a sandwich every day for lunch, so I can probably subsitute the bread for lettuce or something.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    That is good, try changing your diet before you consider meds.