Chia seeds?

Options
Anyone have any experience with them? Did they help loose weight, gain weight, maintain, or did they keep you full for a long time?
I know theyre good for an egg substitute in baking.

Replies

• windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use them in protien shakes, oatmeal, baking...they absorb a lot of water and do keep you fuller longer. They're great for regularity as well. They don't taste like anything but if left to soak long enough they get slimy. I have seen people make puddings with them, but I haven't tried it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I put them in yogurt for more protein.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have used chia seeds for my sensitive stomach. One or two tablespoons full (dry in the mouth) washed down with a mouthful of water will absorb excess stomach acid. (They go down surprisingly easy!) If using two it's best to do it in two swallows a tablespoonful at a time. If you use them for this purpose, just use enough water to get them down so they can absorb more from your stomach.

I have also used them mixed with water to make me feel fuller. Just mix a few tablespoons full in a glass of water and drink quickly so you don't have to deal with the slimy texture after they soak briefly.

A note: I did research on chia seeds. If you are a person with high cholesterol and triglycerides, it is best to use white chia seeds. The black ones can cause a rise in triglycerides. I wish I still had the link to the site, but it was a site that had results of clinical studies for commonly used supplements. I see some other sites claim that chia seeds, in general, can lower both triglycerides and cholesterol, but they don't cite any studies to back it up.

It's like anything else. Use your common sense. There are no miracle supplements.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I like using them to thicken something like making a pudding. I can make all the chia seed pudding and my kids won't touch it :D . They have texture issues lol.

I absolutely love chia pudding. Hmm I should make some.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is good, and it's a nice blend of protein and fiber. I also use them in shakes.
    They do get gelatinous if you soak them, but that also can be the point: they thicken liquids well if you blend them up.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Chia seed are high in protein.
    You can put them in anything. I put them in yogurt, on salads, make chia pudding, on top of eggs. Really versatile and have no taste.
  • candiejayne
    candiejayne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to research them more! I only knew of pudding, which I enjoy. It has a similar feel to tapioca
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a 1 kg yupik brand Chia seeds from Amazon for $10. Increase my healthy fats intake
  • freddythefluffy
    freddythefluffy Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    One of my favorite uses for them is to put them on top of a toasted whole-grain English muffin that has fresh avocado spread on it. They add a little crunch and some protein to a very tasty & healthy breakfast option!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've had them in a chai pudding (yes, a chai chia pudding, heh, agree it's like tapioca) and it was nice. So far, the only real benefit I've seen that would cause me to seek them out is they are high in omega-3s. Maybe for fiber if you are low, but they are a pretty high cal source of protein or fiber for something that tends not to add to the taste. They don't help with weight loss (no supplements do).
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been making steel cut oats in the slow-cooker. We always have leftovers, so I fry them up in a pan with chia seeds sprinkled on top- gives a little healthy crunch to an otherwise boring dish.