Looking for nutritional advice, 435+ pounds, fitbit user

Options
I guess I'm not only looking for nutritional advice. I'm looking for advice in general. Despite trying to be happy and trying to remain positive I'm really starting to feel at a loss in understanding how to lose what I feel should be decent/easy for someone of my weight.

As for a little background on myself, I am female, 33 (will be 34 in a month), sedentary for the most part outside of the walking I've been incorporating most days. Currently weight 436 pounds (466 I think when I actually started getting weighed at my doctor last June). In MFP I have it set to lose 2 pounds a week. Most weeks it is 1-2 pounds. My issue is when I look at my calories burned on my fitbit, most days is it 3500-4000 calories. MOST days I usually am around 1500-2300 calories. This is where I am comfortable with my calories, I don't feel like I should be trying to eat more, I'm not really often a "snacky" type of person generally it's 3 meals a day without snacks in between, maybe a snack later in the evening. I believe my diary is open. My sodium levels I would say 85% of the time or better are good. Maybe a day or two over the weekend is high (I weigh on Thursdays or Fridays).

Recently I've had my thyroid checked, pretty sure have been checked for PCOS aswell. No diabetes issues. I take 50000 vitamin D for one more week then I will be taking Multivitamins after as suggested by my doctor. The past week I was put on birth control as I haven't been having periods outside of a blue moon for nearly 16 years. I did gain 8 or so pounds this week from that I assume but it has since went back down. But that's not what I'm referring to. My doctor almost mentioned the possibility of a tumor somewhere but she didn't make a big deal of it. She said she'd discuss with some other people maybe having a CT scan. I follow up with her about 3 weeks from now but it's nothing I see as an immediate threat she didn't seem overly concerned.

Looking at my diary, looking at my activity, I don't see how it's justifiable to only lose 1-2 pounds a week. Mind you I'm not crazy, I'm not expecting biggest loser numbers, I know those are unrealistic. I'm hoping for a steady 3 pound or more a week. At my current calorie deficit I don't understand why I'm not seeing better results. It's becoming very discouraging. And sure you can say hey 1 pound a week or 2 a week, is 50 or 100 pounds a year! And yes it is. Someone of my size should easily be able to lose more though. And I have in the past. I'm coming up on 4 years since I had lost nearly 70 pounds through MFP. And 4 years ago I gave in to urges and impulses and fell back into bad habits. 4 years down the drain. Wasted. I could have been halfway to a goal weight by now had I not given up. Probably all the way there. I know I made mistakes and I'm trying hard to not let that happen again.

I guess I'm asking for you to look at my diary and exercise and tell me what you think I should try to change? I'm not really interested in lower carb, a lot of my fiber comes from pasta with fiber in it, and I do like sandwiches and fruits and vegetables I don't believe I could go low carb without losing my mind. Next week I might ask my RN to see if I can get a referral to a dietitian or a nutritionist. I honestly feel like I am doing nothing wrong whatsoever and my numbers are not reflecting the work I am putting in. My doctor suggested trying to elevate my heart rate like 3 times a week for 20 minutes. Suggested sprinting, dancing, jumping rope. I feel like saying do you not realize how overweight I am? I don't think it's plausible for me to be "sprinting". I don't think I can even jump let alone jump rope. And as far as zumba or anything like that, it's just going to burn more calories which from my standpoint is not the issue. I'm at a 14,000 calorie deficit this week, that's 4 pounds. I lost 2. I'm not sure if I should be just ignoring what MFP and my fitbit say and strive towards X amount of calories a day, X amount of fat a day, X amount of protein. I have no idea what my macros should be set at and I don't have a clue how to figure it out.

This is my fitbit link if it's any help https://www.fitbit.com/user/3CT3PL pretty sure it's not private but if it is and someone could show me how to change it I will. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At least any advice other than be happy with 1-2 pounds a week because I have tried for a month or two and I'm tired of going in every week to get weighed and pretend like I'm satisfied with how things are going. I've tried to be more open with my doctor and my RN. Last week I gained a pound and I was pretty much unable to hide my disappointment. After I got weighed and was moved into another room to be seen by my doctor I cried for like 5 minutes straight so there was no hiding it when she came in with my eyes being red and all but she didn't address my feelings which I'm glad she didn't because that would have made me feel worse, but she did try to encourage me and to say that I was still doing well and to not give up.

Overall I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, because I don't feel like I am..

Oh and when viewing my diary today I know I didn't eat breakfast, that's not typical. I get weighed around 10 usually and try not to eat before I go or have something very light. Today I didn't go in til around 11, and afterward I went grocery shopping. So I'm aware that my choices this morning sucked, but like I said :P Not typical lol. Oh and if you're in the market for new friends, my list is pretty small.

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale, using measuring cups, or eyeballing? Your diary has a ton of volume measurements (1 cup, 1tbsp, etc), when weighing things with a food scale is more accurate.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    1. Don't rely on your Fitbit for calories. Use it as more of a general info data.
    2. You didn't mention a food scale. Get one so you know how much calories you're eating and stay within that calorie deficit and do not calculate in your Fitbit "calories burned".
    3. "I'm hoping for a steady 3 pound or more a week." No, 1-2lbs a week is more realistic and achievable.
    4. You didn't get to 466 over night. You're not going to lose it overnight. Losing a significant amount of weight such as that you're looking will take years.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing the 30 lbs in the last 8-9 months. 100 lbs per year is reasonable. You are still quite young (with stretchy skin). Work with your doctor. Eat a really healthy whole foods diet and drink water, skim milk, plain brewed coffee/tea. Keep active. You can do this.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    2nd Abatonfan. Tighten up your logging by using a digital food scale and the appropriate cups and spoons for liquids.
    Double check your entries with the mfg labelling or the USDA.

As far as an exercise to raise your heart rate. Try aqua fit. The buoyancy and coolness of the water will help you. Little joint stress, and not too much dripping in sweat.
    If you are worried about being in a swimsuit, don't be. Aqua fit gets all shapes and sizes in the class as it is ideal for those needing/wanting a low impact work out.
    You can make it as slow or as fast as you want so as your cardiovascular system improves so can your performance.

Check with your doctor before starting a class.

Cheers, h.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When you calculate that you are in a 14,000 calorie deficit for the week how are you getting that number? Are you adding up all your Fitbit burns and then adding that number to your deficit on MFP?

That might be part of the issue because the Fitbit includes your BMR and MFP includes your BMR too.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-Fitbit-know-how-many-calories-I-ve-burned

People manage exercise calories differently. Some eat them all back, some eat back a portion, and other just ignore them and consider it a little extra boost to weight loss, which works too unless you have a very low calorie intake and a lot of exercise.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I hate to be all "rah rah" when you are just looking for suggestions but that is how I feel reading your post! You are doing it! You are losing! You have got your food under control and you are moving!!

If you care to hear my story I will share. Short and sweet. It has taken my 7 years to lose 70lbs. I could stand to lose another 10. Losing slowely has helped me maintain easily. I can go off mfp and estimate my food for a few months and stay in a 5lb range. I am not always happy with how slowely I have managed this, but I have stayed sane in the process which for me is a big deal. If I feel too deprived I binge or if I work out too hard I hit a wall fast and then do nothing for the next three weeks.

1-2lbs a week is not too slow. It is a loss and your body will appreciate the pace instead of being shocked. Also, your skin will shrink back nicely this way.

I would go with the suggestion to get a food scale and use it regularly. Walk as much as you can, up the pace once In a while to see how it feels. Do some body weight stuff in your living room. Squats, lunges, wall push-ups, planks. You don't have to be perfect at them just do them to the best of your ability. Focus on fruit veg and protein so your diet has room for treats once in a while. Get enough sleep.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You got this!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youre doing great!

get a food scale. it will help with knowing EXACTLY how much you are eating! no estimating, no guesses, no generic ' cup ' measurements.

keep moving! do what you can, when you can! its good for weight loss, yes but MORE important, its good for your HEALTH!

dont go by what fitbit says to eat. you can use it to monitor activity level and (estimated) exercise burn (only eat back about half) but not for much more than that. go by what MFP tells you to eat.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale and weigh your food. You're still overeating, at your weight and with the calories MFP provides you should be losing 10lbs+ per month. The other thing I suggest is set aside 30-60min per day and walk.
  • emmillyyyy
    emmillyyyy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great so far, congrats! As far as getting your heart rate up, try walking faster. Speed walk for a short period of time in the middle of your walk and gradually increase that. I am not overweight and am in relatively good shape, and I can get in a pretty good cardio workout upping the intensity of my neighborhood walks.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am using a food scale sorry I left that out. I use it religiously, usually in grams as it's more precise than ounces. I also use measuring cups and spoons. I weigh my meats raw (unlike my mother who does hers cooked no matter how much I try to convince her otherwise).

As for the -14000 deficit for the week that's what it shows on my fitbit dashboard. MFP is set to accept negative adjustments. When I log my walks and stuff I only log them as 1 calorie as just for a record that I did it.

I'm not overeating. MFP sets my calorie goal at 2370. Every single day I've been under 2300 calories, even with days at 1500ish. I'm not saying that I "need" to be eating higher amounts of calories. I'm saying my food eaten and my calories burned aren't lining up with losses if that makes sense. I've been walking 30+ minutes a day, this week bumped up to around an hour a day.

I've had fast food twice in the past month, I've given up diet pop and red meat (for lent, for now). I'm making choices both food and exercise wise that are miles ahead of where I was before.

Thanks for the input everyone, and thanks for the few that have sent friend requests :)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm about 85 pounds down now and when I was dieting I always lost on average 1-2 pounds a week. I think you are progressing well.

Slow as turtles I know.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I looked at 3 pages of your food diary and two things stood out:

1. A lot of refined carbs. Switch to whole wheat stuff.

2. Not many vegetables.

So my suggestion would be to focus on those two things for a month and see if you notice a difference.
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think what's going on here is that the 14,000 calorie per week deficit is simply not correct. As you said, 1-2lbs lost per week matches with 3500-7000 cal weekly deficit. Because your weight loss has been consistently in that range for some time, you have good evidence that your real deficit is in that range. It's the actual result of your eating, metabolism and activity.

I don't think it means you are doing anything wrong. Given that you are logging what you eat, you have some good information to start with. If you want to increase your weight loss by a pound per week you would need to increase your real deficit by 500 calories each day. You can do some of that with food, while staying above 1500 calories eaten per day. The other side is activity which is harder to quantify, but it can help substantially. As far as your doctor recomending sprints and other activities that seem impractical I think the intent is clear, to add activity that gets your HR up and makes you work. It doesn't matter too much what that is, if it's hard for you and you adjust your excercise as you get stronger.

Given that you are looking to change things up, whatever you do, make a plan and be consistent with it for 2 or ideally 4 weeks so you can get some good data. Based on your weight loss you can figure out how much of an impact the change made.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    SwtKittN wrote: »
    I'm at a 14,000 calorie deficit this week, that's 4 pounds. I lost 2. I'm not sure if I should be just ignoring what MFP and my fitbit say and strive towards X amount of calories a day, X amount of fat a day, X amount of protein. I have no idea what my macros should be set at and I don't have a clue how to figure it out.

This is my fitbit link if it's any help https://www.fitbit.com/user/3CT3PL pretty sure it's not private but if it is and someone could show me how to change it I will. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At least any advice other than be happy with 1-2 pounds a week because I have tried for a month or two and I'm tired of going in every week to get weighed and pretend like I'm satisfied with how things are going.

Not sure Fitbit does "public" but i made a friend request.

There's a general problem with heavy people and the equations used by MFP etc in that they can overestimate the calorie burn as there weren't many (any ?) people of 300+ lbs used to define the equations. In this case the Katch McArdle formula might be the best as it is based on lean body mass - I estimate your BMR is about 1600 calories a day based on this, which is about 1,000 less than other weight based equations would come up with.

Working from that, if you were reasonably active you might use 2500 calories a day so if you were to eat 1500 the deficit would indeed be 1000 and give you 2 lbs/week of loss.

If you can find a facility and the funding @SwtKittN I would get your metabolic rate measured at a sports science centre, metabolic clinic, YMCA, gym, University or whatever. This involves laying at rest and breathing through a mask into a gas analyser. With that you know your resting metabolic rate and can start to accurately determine the mathematics of what's going on. Perhaps the Doctor can help with that.

Meantime if you can eat a fixed 1500 calories every day regardless of exercise and get in 100 grams of protein per day with at least 30 grams in each of three meals I think you will do better. Use whatever walking and movement you can to increase the expenditure but don't eat any more - you want to be eating body fat not food where possible.

Another option to discuss with the Doctor might be a 6-8 week prescribed VLCD (very low carb diet) which would give you a faster loss rate to set you on the road, you could do spells of this on and off with calorie control in between times. Good Luck.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I can figure out your BMR to give you an idea of how many calories you are burning at a sedentary rate. That would be the lowest amount of calories you burn without doing much of anything. From that rate, you can figure out how many calories you need to burn in order to figure out your deficit. For instance, my BMR is 1745 based on the amount of exercise I do, which is moderate because I workout 5-6 times a week. I burn about 500 calories each workout in an hour (I have a heart rate monitor). If I eat 1500 calories in a day and burn 500 calories, and my BMR is 1745, I have a deficit of 745 calories. If I do the same thing all week, I have a deficit of 5215. Because 3500 calories = 1 pound, I will have lost 1.5 pounds that week.

Once you have your BMR, you can do the math and figure out how many calories you are burning each day. Your calories burn sounds too high.
  • Wattyz
    Wattyz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It does show your account as private, but if you want to change anything go to https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit and change your privacy settings there.

Lower carb would be better, though you said don't want to do it....maybe use lighter breads and not have carbs in the evening? (They swell up and hold water.)

I hate to be one of the repetitive dr types, but 6 small meals a day vs large meals helps bring up your metabolism, move a bit more when you can. (i used to do little workouts during commercials when watching my favorite show.) No caffeine or salt in the evening, and remember that you didn't gain it all overnight-it will take some time. You really are doing a great job! Right now you're inspiring me! (((HUGS)))
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    SwtKittN wrote: »
    I'm at a 14,000 calorie deficit this week, that's 4 pounds. I lost 2. I'm not sure if I should be just ignoring what MFP and my fitbit say and strive towards X amount of calories a day, X amount of fat a day, X amount of protein. I have no idea what my macros should be set at and I don't have a clue how to figure it out.

This is my fitbit link if it's any help https://www.fitbit.com/user/3CT3PL pretty sure it's not private but if it is and someone could show me how to change it I will. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At least any advice other than be happy with 1-2 pounds a week because I have tried for a month or two and I'm tired of going in every week to get weighed and pretend like I'm satisfied with how things are going.

Not sure Fitbit does "public" but i made a friend request.

There's a general problem with heavy people and the equations used by MFP etc in that they can overestimate the calorie burn as there weren't many (any ?) people of 300+ lbs used to define the equations. In this case the Katch McArdle formula might be the best as it is based on lean body mass - I estimate your BMR is about 1600 calories a day based on this, which is about 1,000 less than other weight based equations would come up with.

Working from that, if you were reasonably active you might use 2500 calories a day so if you were to eat 1500 the deficit would indeed be 1000 and give you 2 lbs/week of loss.

If you can find a facility and the funding @SwtKittN I would get your metabolic rate measured at a sports science centre, metabolic clinic, YMCA, gym, University or whatever. This involves laying at rest and breathing through a mask into a gas analyser. With that you know your resting metabolic rate and can start to accurately determine the mathematics of what's going on. Perhaps the Doctor can help with that.

Meantime if you can eat a fixed 1500 calories every day regardless of exercise and get in 100 grams of protein per day with at least 30 grams in each of three meals I think you will do better. Use whatever walking and movement you can to increase the expenditure but don't eat any more - you want to be eating body fat not food where possible.

Another option to discuss with the Doctor might be a 6-8 week prescribed VLCD (very low carb diet) which would give you a faster loss rate to set you on the road, you could do spells of this on and off with calorie control in between times. Good Luck.

^^^^^
    THIS is very good advice. With that amount you need to lose, you have a lot of wiggle room. You can burn off a lot more fat in a day than a 250 pound person can because you have a lot more fat to burn. Find a calorie level that works for you, 1500 sounds like it might work, and that you can comply with long-term. While VLCD are generally not that great, short term when one has a lot to lose and monitored by a doctor they have their place for people who have a lot to lose.

Just a note, you are doing great so far. The journey looks long, but you are making progress. Keep going.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would start with a calorie intake of 2000. If you give yourself a 1500 you're not giving yourself much room to adjust as you lose weight. Heck I'm at 1800 weighing in at 278. When I started 2 years ago I was over 400. Make small, sustainable changes. You want a routine you can stick to and feel good with. There were times where I'd dip to 1500, not knowing what I needed to get the scale moving, and yeah, it'd move dramatically... but that's not essentially the best. I increased to 1800 and still was doing well at 1.5 to 2lbs a week on average.

You're going to rely a lot on a food scale. Measure in grams and log what you eat. That'll be the backbone of your success. If you have bad days, don't beat yourself up. Just get back on and keep moving. Walking is actually a very good way to exercise. Fresh air, sun... tis the season to enjoy all that.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your progress so far!

I can't see your diary so I'm just going to throw everything I can think of based on my own experience and you can take whatever you like from it :)

Last June I tipped the scales just under 300lbs, I came back to MFP (I had joined before but fell of of it) after losing 10 lbs and since then have lost a total of 95lbs (yay me!) so I will impart what I have done as someone else who was/is working with big numbers.

Counting/weighting food is awesome; keep it up, it is the crux of your weightloss.
    I try to make sure at least 5 out of 7 days a week my supper is no less than 50% veggies. Stir fry, casserole, stew, spaghetti squash with veggie laden sauce, there's a million ways to do it. Keep your eating varied so you can keep up with all those macros, healthy fats, protein, iron, calcium, etc.
    Lots of water, early in the day. I have found that I feel fuller through the day with it. Do you *need* water to lose weight? Of course not. Placebo effect though it may be, I say if it ain't broke...

Fitbit is great; keeps you aware of your activity level. That being said, it's numbers are not gospel and MFP really over compensates for calories burned. I deactivated mine from adding info to MFP months ago ( I actually gave it to a friend who is just beginning her weight loss journey because it really is a great starter tool) because I found it mucky-mucked with the numbers too much.
    Movement is important on any level, but if you really want to see the benefit of being active it's your heartrate that will put a huge dent in weight loss. It's easy to find what your target heart rate should be online, for me the absolute max is 180 bpm, I shoot for 150 but normally 140 is what I maintain. I'm not a lover of working out and I have some health issues that prevent me from serious attempts but you can elevate your heart rate even by walking. You can talk but can't sing is a good range; don't rely on counters, just take your pulse for ten seconds and multiply by 6. Twenty minutes, three times a week, it will make a staggering difference. Last December, my doctor gave me the go-ahead to come off my blood pressure medication, and now my average bp is 110/75 with a resting pulse of of 60-65!!! This is from someone who had to take Amlodipine to control blood pressure, that's the kind of difference it makes.

While aiming to lose more than two pounds per week is not a great idea, the reality is you are working with big numbers; big numbers on the scale and big numbers in your calorie allotment. You are not at a stage where you need to incorporate your calories burned and it wont compromise your health if you don't, so don't. If you only have 40 lbs to lose or weight train daily, yes you need to eat some calories back, but you can lowball it with what MFP gives you, not tack on what movement you do, and still lose weight healthily. Some may poo-poo that, but I don't care, it's what I did and I'm the healthiest I've been in years. If you go that route, you will probably see a bigger number than 2 lbs. Now weight loss isn't linear, but in the beginning my body responded insanely to all the changes (because I was working with a pretty big number too) that I averaged 3-4 lbs per week. It has slowed now, and that's cool because I'm not looking to hurt myself, but in the beginning it was motivating to see some pretty quick results. just remember to view it as the bonus that it is, not a standard you should expect.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep, sounds basic but willpower is finite and it needs to recharge, make sure yours has time to so you can face each day with a fresh amount of zeal to make good choices.

NEVER beat yourself up if you falter; you don't need to win every single battle in order to win the war. NEVER "start again tomorrow/Monday/after your birthday/etc"; start again the next time food is going in your mouth.

Cheat days are a sham that self sabotage; how can you expect to learn to eat in a balanced and moderate way if you categorize food as good/bad or treat/proper? You want pie? Then eat pie. Learn to make pie something that you can eat and still be happy with your choices. When you disarm food you can keep control over it. I did not get to 300lbs because I was good with moderation; you did not get to 400+lbs because you are good with moderation. It's the hardest part of the changes but it is the most beneficial. Do it slowly, but do it.
    Also, your body is a very shrewd accountant when it comes to calories, you may give yourself a time out but your body couldn't care less.

And flowing off of that last one, be realistic. If you hate raw vegetables don't stock your fridge with celery and carrot sticks; complete recipe for disaster. It's about figuring out how to make what you like to eat work for you. It's about being sensible, yet satiated. Yes, food is fuel and all that but man has long associated food with celebration and victory and positive emotion and we will continue to; moderation and restraint is your goal. Moving around more to help your body burn some of those calories is your goal. Good choices beget more good choices.
    Last night, I picked up some of those Special K sour cream and onion cracker chips; my daughter wanted to watch a movie so I thought I'd like some munchies. Already a better choice than what I would have made a year ago. I ate a little lighter at dinner, opting for just a big salad with my cheeseburger instead of a baked potato, watched our movie and when I went out to the livingroom this morning my unopened box of chips was still sitting next to the sofa. No denying; no wrestling; I simply forgot about the d*mn things! Hahaha.
    All the work, all the struggle, all the hard choices, they WILL become habits. Eventually, you won't eat the pie because, eh, you don't really want the pie. Feeling full will become heavy and awful, feeling not hungry will be the norm. Before you know it, you'll walk out in the morning and see that you forgot you even bought chips, because you never felt hungry through the movie and you no longer associate eating with anything other than being hungry.

I know it's long and all over the place and probably way more than what you were looking for but I hope giving you all my tools on my journey can help you make your own that's just as successful!
    I want everyone to feel as good as I feel; to be as proud as I am in their own accomplishments. I have faltered; I have held at maintenance for weeks on end because I just couldn't find the stamina to push any harder, but as long as I don't give up, I win. And we all get to win, if we want too.

So good luck! Feel free to friend me, and hopefully I will see YOU on the underside of 400 lbs :smiley: