Is it worth it to get a nutritionist?

Options
Hello everyone,

There is a holistic healthcare practitioner nutritionist at my salon and I was thinking of going to her for weight loss. The initial apt is $95, lasts 2.5 hours and includes a total evaluation and plan. The follow up apts are every 4 weeks and are $45.

I was hoping to speak to her about health issues, geta healthy plan, etc. But do you think it's worth the cost? Or can I just use MFP for weight loss?

Thanks!

Diana

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you need it then go for it but you can find tons of information online at the library or from your doctor.
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It wasn't really helpful to me. I KNOW how to eat healthy. My problems has always been motivation/strength. Good Luck!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I've always wondered that. Do you know any of her former customers? Can she show you what you're getting into before you plunge into paying out? I guess the only real way to know if it is worth it is to give it a try aside from word of mouth.

I personally have wondered if I should get a nutritionist, but like you was afraid of the cost.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    WORTH IT :heart:

Knowledge is Power!
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    everyone is different but from my experience it was a waste of money. I got the same information from then I get on here and this site is free! :bigsmile: So I just stick to this wonderful site :flowerforyou:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I went and saw a nutritionist but I didn't get any new information. She basically told me to count calories and eat healthier - all of which I know how to do. However what you describe includes diet plans and whatnot. That could be helpful! If you can get and follow a meal plan laid out by a nutritionist that is customized for you then I say go for it!
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to a holistic nutritionist, but the one I went to (thankfully free with my insurance) was a waste of time/money. Everything she told me, I already knew and had been doing. She thought introducing me to Chobani was a big thing! Hello?

The one thing she did help me with, though, is realizing I wasn't moving enough and basically responded to my "no time" excuse with "get up before your daughter and exercise in your house"...and that's what I've been doing. Common sense that didn't have to come from a nutritionist, but still an eye-opener.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a WONDERFUL nutritionist! I see her in group setings and seminars through my doctor. I think it is a valid question to ask "What do I get for the money?" My nutritionist has a plan for people who are very unhealthy eaters and she takes them shopping with her. It depends on how healthy you eat already or how healthy you know you should eat, but don't!

Could be worth it, but I would get more info!
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am feeling like it might be a waste as well.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had to go to diabetic counseling for diet, was great for me. The focus was on portion size, carbs, sugar, calorie intake and how to read labels, shopping. Even though I new most of it, I learned a lot! it also helped my husband to support me and eat right as a family.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    NOOOOO! Nutritionists DO NOT need degrees!!! If anything, you would need to find a registered dietitian! They have degree's in nutrition, and to keep up their registration they need to keep up with continuing education.

Don't waste your money on a "nutritionist." Hell...I'm a nutritionist! :)
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A word of caution:

In many (or most) countries, the term 'nutritionist' is not a protected term. That means anyone can use it, without regulation or repercussions. Sometimes it has dire consequences, because the nutritionist doesn't have to have any training - and definitely no standardized training.

It you're worried about eating right, you want to see a dietician. These people actually have the training to counsel people on healthy eating habits, and if they mess up they have a regulatory body that is there to make sure everyone behaves like a professional.

Just make sure to research what you're getting yourself into, and you should be fine!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    you have what you need here on MFP ;-)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I did not learn anything I did not already know from my nutritionist but it did make me accountable.