Road Trip! What snacks should I pack?

Options
NewOR2015
NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
Got any ideas on what to pack snack-wise for a 10 hr road trip?

Replies

• mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    We're going on a big road trip soon, too. I'm packing Skinny Pop popcorn, carrots, string cheese, hummus, apple mango kale squeeze pouches... Hopefully I'll get some more ideas from this thread. :)
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've got popcorn, carrots, and string cheese ready. I'm thinking of getting some fresh fruit too.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    We also have a long road trip planned. For lunch I am going to mix canned salmon, cream cheese and capers and spread it on a tortilla and roll it up. Dinner is going to be a roast beef sandwich. We probably will are also bringing popcorn, pretzels, string cheese, granola bars. Some other ideas I have is hard boiled eggs, grapes, small cucumbers. I have been trying to think of things that won't leave my fingers sticky! :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For mine I brought some nuts (pre-weighed), Kind bars, and apples.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @Francl27 Aw, nuts! I forgot the nuts. That's a good idea (almonds for me).

@bioklutz I keep a container of wipes in my car. :)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit, granola bars, quest bars, lots of water, greek yogurt, pre bagged nuts, seeds and cereal.
  • wilmastraight593
    wilmastraight593 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with portion control so I weigh & measure & put into single serve containers or bags. If your sodium isn't restricted try beef sticks or turkey lunch meats
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yogurt cups if you have a cooler.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky, Quest protein chips
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like to take lunch with me on all-day road trips, along with snacks. PB&J is easy because it doesn't need refrigeration and you can eat it while driving if you don't want to stop. Or you can eat at a roadside rest area. That way I'm not at the mercy of roadside fast food that doesn't fit in my calories.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    My faves are Chex mix, jerky, oranges, flavored almonds, string cheese or laughing cow rounds, pumpkin seeds and Reece's peanut butter cups. And plenty of ice cold Coke Zero and plain water!
  • candiejayne
    candiejayne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 night away thing coming up and I appreciate all of the suggestions!
  • Samrny
    Samrny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Pre air-pop a biiig bag of popcorn
    Package some fruit!
    Bring plenty of water (and have potty stops planned)
    Keep in mind some snacks are smelly and if you're in the car with other people that may not be polite to bring...
    Make your own energy or granola bars!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    We drove from va to co and back last summer. In order to save money we ate breakfast and lunch in the car while driving then got takeout in the hotel for dinner. I packed granola bars and fruit for breakfast, and pb&j for lunches. I also took along gold fish crackers, wheat thins. Every few days we stopped at Wal-Mart for refills on bread and fruit.

Honestly, for a 10 hour drive I probably wouldn't even get too hungry. A coffee and protein bar would probably be enough. Something about sitting in a car driving doesn't make me hungry. I guess I'm too distracted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah for 10 hours I would probably just pack one kind bar and an apple, and stop for a filling lunch somewhere...
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I just wanted to make sure to have options so that everyone would be happy.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My go-to fruit for car and plane travel is grapes. They're juicy and sweet, but don't make a mess. I also like homemade french toast sticks to eat for breakfast or lunch on the road.

Unsolicited advice alert! I'd caution about packing too many snacks for a road trip. Try not to let it be an excuse to eat all day long - just have meals at meal time, and snacks at your usual snack times (if you do usually have a snack time). If you're traveling with children, try not to use food as a way to keep them from being bored in the car - because as adults many of us struggle to break the habit of eating-while-bored.