Anyone battling menopause and insulin resistance, too? Help!

Options
Hello, everyone!

This is my first post and my 100th diet. (Sigh) I am 14 pounds into losing my total goal of 50. For the first time ever, I've asked for medically assisted weight loss help, which is how I lost the first 14. I tried the Optifast program, but just couldn't take it anymore! The shakes were making me feel so sick. So now I'm moving to plan B which is calorie control and diet and exercise - until I started menopause, this used to work. Now, I am pre-diabetic, insulin resistant, and my body has changed, and I have found it so hard to lose weight! I'm currently on metformin, but I so need support. I'm feeling so bummed about not being able to stick to Optifast and am scared that 14 I worked so hard to lose is going to come right back.

Please, please, menopausal (or peri-menopausal) women - share what you know! Help me do this! I am so tired of feeling tired and sick! I am only 43 years old!

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of inspiration.

Lisa

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale so you can measure food in grams.
    You can eat the same foods you used to eat. Eat less and you will lose weight.
    This might be helpful:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Lisa000000
    Lisa000000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's great advice. One of the most difficult things about calorie counting and tracking specific things (like calories, carbs, protein, sodium, sugar, etc), is that in avoiding processed foods and making things myself, it's sometimes hard to know exactly how much I'm eating of certain things (like carbs and sugars, which I really need to track) and I end up estimating and getting frustrated. Appreciate the tip! I will pick up a scale.
  • eliasfuhrmler
    eliasfuhrmler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant as well. I don't see contemporary doctors who use western medicine as my wife is a certified herbalist and clinician as well as a nutritionist. I have found much success in sticking to a diet that lingers between the paleo and the ketogenic diet and I do three days of HIIT per week, three days of weight lifting. I try not to count calories, carbs, protein, etc., but I find that this app helps...a lot. With this app, I don't have to pay TOO much attention. I keep a very regular diet and I sure as hell notice when I have eaten something I knew I shouldn't have. I can't eat any carbs before bed or my heart is pounding and I get a lot of anxiety and I can't sleep. Its not so bad during the day, but it still happens. I just, straight up, stay away from carbs and sugar. All of our bodies are different, and what works for me might not work for you. I would suggest taking a chromium supplement. Chromium has been shown, in specific studies, to assist in processing insulin and therefore, weight loss in individuals with insulin resistance. I take 600 mcg daily. 400 in the morning after breakfast and 200 in the afternoon after lunch. I am not a fan of pharmaceuticals and will suggest to all of you taking Metformin to see an herbalist or naturopath and replace it with chromium, diet and exercise. Thats all I've got, ladies. Good luck!!!