Working Out With A Calorie Deficit

Options
I aim to work out 3 times a week. Does working out help with a calorie deficit or just need to create a calorie deficit in itself to lose weight alone.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Exercise is for fitness, it's not necessary for weight loss, only a calorie deficit is. Though exercise can give you more calories to eat and therefore make it easier to have a calorie deficit.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you're eating way more than you think because your logging is extremely inaccurate, you probably can't out-exercise your intake.
  • d3e4
    d3e4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, working out helps to create a caloric deficit. Lots of people do that plus create another caloric deficit by eating less calories. It's more bang for your buck. Just make sure you eat enough calories.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You should eat back 50-75% of the calories you burn from exercise.

You don't eat all of them back to allow for overestimation of burns and underestimation of calories eaten.

You should definitely eat back at least half to fuel your exercise, otherwise you risk serious health problems.

Kind regards.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me lose weight in 2 ways. It helps create a deficit and it also has a psychological effect that I will be less likely to go off plan because I don't want to waste my hard work. Plus, it's just plain good for you. As for reading back the calories you will find people telling you both ways, so just figure out which way works for you. If you don't eat them back and are starving or weak then try eating some of them. If you eat them and your weight loss slows then try eating less of them. For me personally, I almost never eat back my exercise calories.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

You don't eat all of them back to allow for overestimation of burns and underestimation of calories eaten.

You should definitely eat back at least half to fuel your exercise, otherwise you risk serious health problems.

Kind regards.

I don't agree with this. When calculating your TDEE you factor in your exercise. You then work out your weight loss calories using this figure so your exercise is included already. Any ADDITIONAL exercise should be eaten back in calories.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Kind regards.

I don't agree with this. When calculating your TDEE you factor in your exercise. You then work out your weight loss calories using this figure so your exercise is included already. Any ADDITIONAL exercise should be eaten back in calories.

We don't know what OP has set their activity level to, though. Some people do change it from Sedentary, but many people keep it that way. Hopefully the OP can clarify that for us.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Kind regards.

MFP doesn't work off of TDEE. It works off of NEAT, which factors in all non-exercise activity. What she said is true for those who follow MFP's goals.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

Exercise can help with increasing a deficit (or keeping it the same while allowing more calories to be consumed.

However, exercise can increase appetite.

On some days, I find it harder to stick to my deficit because the hard workouts really spike my desire to eat. That said, I still exercise while in a deficit because I'm more interested in the health and fitness benefits that exercise brings than always having a perfectly on point deficit.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Kind regards.

@joncooper1980 MFP's TDEE is based on Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT).

Your activity level is your activity WITHOUT exercise. You're supposed to input any exercise, and eat back those calories.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @joncooper1980 MFP's TDEE is based on Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT).

Your activity level is your activity WITHOUT exercise. You're supposed to input any exercise, and eat back those calories.

Thanks - I wasn't aware of this.