Home gym ideas

Options
Hello all-

I have some mobility issues- chronic lumbar strain and post-traumatic arthritis in my foot, so I am trying to lighten up to ease that pain. I am also turning 50 this year and I want to get healthier as a gift to myself. I just do not enjoy going to the local gyms (I've tried them), and I've decided to create my own gym at home. I have a decent sized finished basement. So far I have a simple utility bench and some Dumbbells, a smart tv to follow videos, yoga mats, blocks, etc, a nice mat, a big ball, and some posters illustrating dumbbell and body weight exercises. I also plan to install some mirrors and I'm planning on getting a treadmill (eventually, hopefully, when I have less pain).

Please give me your thoughts on anything else you think might be helpful. I would like to get a set of Olympic weights/ barbell/ bench when I'm stronger.

Thanks! Also, I would love some new friends!

Ramblerchik

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start!! I think you should start with what you have and add on equipment as you progress and figure out what you need and enjoy. I'm excited to hear how it goes
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Possibly resistance bands with a wall mount, but be careful with that, I dislocated my rib being unfit and with poor form.

Given your maladies, perhaps a recumbant bike?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I haven't been impressed with most poster and video workouts. New Rules of Lifting for Life is a good program for your age bracket. A door-mounted resistance band set is helpful. Get clearance from your doctor before doing strength training.

Why don't you like gyms?
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    To alleviate pressure off your foot, you might want to look at a TRX system for your home gym. The trx system let's you put your feet in the holders, while you are on your back or chest.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    This is a nice article about what a pretty good trainer/fitness writer with a triathlete wife put in his basement gym. Probably a bit over the top for most people but he does a good job explaining what he put in there, reasons and what options he looked at:
    http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/
  • ramblerchik
    ramblerchik Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks, everyone.

To answer the question of why I don't like gyms, i think I just really want more privacy. I'm a bit of an introvert. Plus, it's so dang convenient to just walk downstairs to my own peaceful space that I am creating.
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Suspension system, for sure. I personally prefer the Jungle Gym over the TRX. For me it's more versatile in terms of adjustments (it's 2 pieces rather than 1) and less expensive.
  • cammy_b3
    cammy_b3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would get an exercise bike rather than treadmill if your in any pain at all