Best "Fun" exercises?

Options
Hi there! I'm looking for suggestions for activities/exercises that are fun :) things I could do by myself, with a group, or with my 4 year old daughter. I'm trying to expand my horizons and get moving more.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's really a personal thing. I love resistance training and others hate it. I would pretty much rather have a root canal than dance.

What activities do you and your daughter like? Our neighbors have little kids, they built an obstacle course in their backyard.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    bike-use a trail a bike or tagalong for daughter, learn to rollerblade, kick a soccer ball, go hiking, try SUP paddling.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Those are good ideas. I probably need to invest in a bike and hit up the nice trails we have here. I like skating and dancing. We usually do the park but there's not much I can do while I'm watching her play. I hiked last year when it was nice out. I'm more likely to stick with exercise when it doesn't seem like exercise or when I have good music on! Keep the ideas rolling...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing.
    It is hilarious in a starter class because no one knows what they are doing.
    It would also be fun for you and your daughter to do at home.

It is fun wearing the coin scarf around your hips and making it shake.

Apart from it being fun it is a great workout and excellent for ab isolation.

There are of course lots of other things, but that is the most fun thing I have ever tried as exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • LCD_80
    LCD_80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Trampolining. Do you have a trampoline park (big warehouse with loads of trampolines and foam pits) near you? Fun for everyone and I found I burned close to 600 calories in an hour of (vigorous!) bouncing about!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I find wii dance was a fun thing to do with my daughters. I also had the Wii Zumba which we all did.

Bike riding is fab for exercising, although at that age, they had the bikes and we walked.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea to invest in a bike. That is an investment that will build the fundamentals for your daughter to enjoy exercise through the years. By setting up those good habits early, you can rest assured that your daughter will value exercise and fitness and promote a healthy long and prosperous life.

Swimming is so fun with children as well, again building on showing them the FUN in swimming from a young age. Mix up the time with some laps in the pool and "play time" in the pool so it doesn't seem like a chore I guess. Like bring a beach ball into the pool or diving for rings underwater.

And probably the most inexpensive option is a good old fashion run/hike/or jogging! All you need is a couple pairs of running shoes some water bottles and your good to go, you can make this more fun by having a healthy picnic (fruits, sandwhiches, veggies) together after the run. This will show her the importance of eating healthy and promote a passion for the outdoors.

Some other activities include wall climbing, roller skating, ice skating, dancing, gymnastics, frizbee in the park, hoola hoop, skipping ........

When I reflect on things, I appreciate all that my mother and father sacrificed to keep my sibling and I vested in sports. Swimming lessons, dancing lessons, gymnastics, ball hockey, scouts, soccer and camping. These things were the very foundation I called upon as I mature and continue to learn.

Just a suggestion though. The possibilities are endless and good luck expanding your horizons and reaching new destinations!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I snowshoe in the winter/hike in the summer, go berry-picking, walk the dogs, ride horses, work in the garden. I'm not much of an "exerciser"' per say, but I love to get outside and have fun.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For me it is dancing of all kinds. Just put on the music and move your body. Let the music dance you. Make sure it is your favorite upbeat stuff. Alone you get to try new stuff. If your daughter is there let her show you how a kid has fun with dance. And if you are with a group then dance till you drop! :) Good thread!
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Tennis and biking are good options
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm Lovin these ideas guys! I also would like to add walking in the zoo. I did that a couple weeks ago and that was fun plus we got lots of steps in :) keep me comin! I'm looking forward to doing lots of these soon.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sexerice
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Bicycle
  • A_mills08
    A_mills08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hands down rock climbing! Recently just signed up at a rock climbing/gym/yoga place and can honestly say I've noticed a different in my body quicker than any amount of gym time
  • lilmom101
    lilmom101 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hula hoopin, jump rope, simon says, hopscotch
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sexerice

Pretty sure she's not gonna be doing that with her 4-year-old daughter.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I take my son ice skating at least once a week. My regular skating is more of a workout but ar least we're on the ice together. We also swim a lot. In the nicer weather we take "hikes" basically walks in the forest when you're with a 7 year old. Walking at the zoo is great too.

I hate sitting at the park too so I like keeping active with my.boy.
  • healthyhabits98
    healthyhabits98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try mommy daughter yoga. Its surprising how hard yet relaxing the work is, and depending on what you want there are different types of yoga. If you want more info feel free to add and message me. :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 yr old who loves to exercise with me. We walk, hike and run together. When at playgrounds we make an obstacle course out of it. At home I let him pick out workout dvds. We each layout our mats and hand weights. I believe it sets a health relationship early with exercising.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What ever you end up doing with her, make sure she has a say in what you do. She's much more likely to enjoy and look forward to exercising with you if she's involved in the choosing of activities, and in charge of something (setting up any equipment, meal prep, even just holding the dog's leash instills a sense of responsibility in young children!) than if you were to just say 'we're going on a walk today'. I'd also set up a schedule that allows for variety, but becomes something she expects just like bath time or school. If it's something sporadic and all over the place, she'll still have fun, but the healthy relationship you want her to have with exercise is less likely to form when it's not a part of her weekly or daily life.

In terms of activities you could do together, maybe your local parks and rec has a mommy/child dance class? Those are always adorable, and if youve got a shy little girl, it's a good way to introduce her to group sports without thrusting her right into the throes, unprepared!