Muscle cramps

Options
Okay I have been eating clean, I only drink lots of water and my morning coffee (2 cups a day) with raw honey and fat free creamer, I am active and work out regularly every day from 1-2 hrs, sleep up to 7hrs a day, and I even do stretches before and after workouts. I've been get some serious leg cramps, almost like when your laying in bed and your legs cramp. Like that...I'm not sure how to make them stop because it happens pretty often. Am I doing too much or what? Does anyone have any advice for muscle cramps??? I've been told that pickle juice is good for cramps but I know it also has lots of sodium so I've been staying away from that. Advice please :) thank you!!!!

Replies

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cramps when you are on your feet or after you are off your feet?

Make sure you eat plenty of things with potassium and magnesium. You might consider a magnesium supplement if you don't get enough from diet. If they continue, you might consider asking your Dr.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need an amount of sodium in your diet, cramps can be due to too little sodium.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can also lead to muscle cramps.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of sodium unless it affects your blood pressure. The "clean eating" as you put it, is to make sure you are eating enough daily micronutrient dense foods. But "eating clean" does not guarantee that you are eating a variety of foods to ensure you are getting all of the micronutrients needed. For me, I know I need to, on rare occasions, supplement with magnesium for muscle cramps as I evidently get too comfortable with food choices that might lack or be less than needed in magnesium for the daily intake trying to meet caloric needs.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This may help......

webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/nighttime-leg-cramps-topic-overview

are getting enough potassium? (it surprises people to know that the RDA is about 4500mg for an adult)
  • cococat24
    cococat24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. Yes maybe I need some vitamins for it because I haven't been taking any kind of supplement, that could be the reason. Probably missing out and not getting enough in my diet. Thanks for the advice you guys :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This may help......

are getting enough potassium? (it surprises people to know that the RDA is about 4500mg for an adult)

I find it hard to hit potassium. Never realized the RDA was so high until I started tracking. If you are drinking tons of water that can deplete potassium if you drink enough.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Another vote for potassium and magnesium. I eat a banana every morning and take a magnesium supplement in the evening. Since doing so, I no longer experience muscle cramping. My doctor also mentioned that muscle cramps can be due to low calcium, so you might want to check with your doctor to see where you are low rather than guessing by adding in vitamins...
  • cococat24
    cococat24 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Very true, I am so gonna look into that. I love bananas and eat a lot of them lol. I guess it just hasn't been enough though. Thank yall so much :)
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just have to add...Leg cramping while you are exercising CAN be a symptom of a circulatory problem such as a blood clot. If it continues, don't ignore it. Ask your Dr.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    This may help......

I find it hard to hit potassium. Never realized the RDA was so high until I started tracking. If you are drinking tons of water that can deplete potassium if you drink enough.

You might be getting more than you think as the MFP database food entries are typically devoid of potassium count, so if you are using MFP to track potassium, then just be mindful of that.