Depression and weight loss

Options
Krugs94
Krugs94 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hey everyone, I've been trying to lose weight for several months now and I've had absolutely no success. I got separated from the Air Force and gained about 20 pounds because of emotional pain/depression. I can't stop beating myself up about this and my confidence level has never been so low. I know I've reached my rock bottom so-to-speak and I need to do something different this time. That's why I want to get active on MFP and stay motivated and consistent with my efforts because I know I'll just have more regret if I don't. If anyone can relate or has any helpful, positive words of wisdom..please lemme know. I want to lose 30 pounds over the next couple months and I want to be supportive to other people also. Thanks for reading this and thank you sooo much for any advice or positivity

Replies

• Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hope you're having a good day so far :)
  • hisage35
    hisage35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Trying to refocus and thought I would try reaching out to others. I would like to lose 30lbs as well. I can't believe how much food, weight and body image effect my self esteem. But what's worse is when I feel I can do anything about it. The good news is, I have experience losing weight and working out so maybe we can look for some of those golden nuggets.

Do you have a plan for food or working out?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Krugs94 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've been trying to lose weight for several months now and I've had absolutely no success. I got separated from the Air Force and gained about 20 pounds because of emotional pain/depression. I can't stop beating myself up about this and my confidence level has never been so low. I know I've reached my rock bottom so-to-speak and I need to do something different this time. That's why I want to get active on MFP and stay motivated and consistent with my efforts because I know I'll just have more regret if I don't. If anyone can relate or has any helpful, positive words of wisdom..please lemme know. I want to lose 30 pounds over the next couple months and I want to be supportive to other people also. Thanks for reading this and thank you sooo much for any advice or positivity

So sorry you're in the 'dark spot'... I definitely understand how depression can take a person down. Are you a runner? A walker? I'm guessing in the Military you were pretty active? Is there any one thing that you can push yourself hard to do even for 5 minutes.. push ups in the house, walk around the block, make yourself an awesome meal which an awesome salad and a steak. Just something out of the ordinary from your days lately?

Pick up your water bottle and start drinking...water is a game changer for me... something about it just shifts my mood a wee bit and then sometimes I can do a bit more.

Depression has many levels so not sure which if any of the things above might help right now.

Pampering yourself, nails, bubble bath...that'll only work if you're into that stuff though. lol
    I have a gratitude journal, at the end of each night I write down 5 things I'm grateful for.. it can be the sunset, the breeze, it doesn't have to material things. I started out at 3 and ended up doing 5...

Hugs,
    Hearts <3
  • Larrwein
    Larrwein Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I reached my dark spot and depression over took it all, am trying to get active on here too. Maybe we can team up? I am looking for motivated people too!!
    Do you have an plans in mind?
  • epeart11
    epeart11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Its hard but one of the huge benefits of exercise is helping with depression. Your endorphins help you to feel better.