Running...

Options
I need some motivation - i like to normally go running with my partner but he is currently working away. It's a beautiful day out and I really want to go for a run...

Dilemma - I feel self conscious when running alone - am I being paranoid?
Do others prefer running solo or with a partner??

Thanks guys and gals :)

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I've never gone running with a partner before and even though sometimes I wish I had a running buddy, I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy it because I like to do my own thing each workout. I set out on a mission and then it's a one track mind!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I like running alone for my shorter runs. It clears my head. Sometimes I run with my husband.

For long runs, I <3 my running group. They are built in support.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've never gone running with a partner before and even though sometimes I wish I had a running buddy, I'm not sure if I would actually enjoy it because I like to do my own thing each workout. I set out on a mission and then it's a one track mind!

Same here except i've tried with a running buddy and it didn't work well, we didn't have the same pace and I couldn't space out and just do it, she kept being chatty about all her problems in her life. Once i'm running, i'm spacing out and I don't care what I look like, just that it feels good.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I prefer running alone. Gives me time to clear my head of everything else in the world. Definitely a great stress reliever for me!
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I like to run alone that way i can run at my own pace and there isnt anyone holding me back, and if its a nice day I would deff take that as a sign that would should run either further or fastest then you have been. :) lol
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I prefer solo, that way I am not holding anyone up...I am not a fast runner, I just run long distances. Why would you feel self-conscious running alone?
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I run alone; it's my "alone time." No one disturbs me, the phone doesn't ring, etc., etc., etc. Revel in your time. :happy:
  • Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you both - so you think I should just go for it? I could get the I-pod out too - I do love running just never done it on my own! Need to burn off some lunch calories!
  • christasteph
    christasteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and ONLY like running alone! I like to set my own pace and not push myself to fast too soon or go slower than I can. I love running outside and breathing the fresh air, early morning or evening are my favorite, as are trail runs. Just get out there and do it! It's exhilarating and seriously nothing else has worked to shred fat for me than running (and I was a competitive swimmer for most of my life). If you're worried about your form, just remember to run upright (not hunched over, abs tight), take small steps to conserve energy, and don't swing your arms across your body. You will look great!
  • Bristle82
    Options
    I prefer solo, that way I am not holding anyone up...I am not a fast runner, I just run long distances. Why would you feel self-conscious running alone?

I am a little strange that way, I worry too much at times! I guess running along a main road where people are driving past. I don't know... I am thinking i should just get out there and do it!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thank you both - so you think I should just go for it? I could get the I-pod out too - I do love running just never done it on my own! Need to burn off some lunch calories!

I would do it. And if you don't like it, then, at least you'll know.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Not to mean that you're insignificant, because you are important, but no one really pays attention to us when we run. Don't feel like everyone is watching you. Unless you're running in a funny looking outfit.
  • Bristle82
    Options
    I am a runner and ONLY like running alone! I like to set my own pace and not push myself to fast too soon or go slower than I can. I love running outside and breathing the fresh air, early morning or evening are my favorite, as are trail runs. Just get out there and do it! It's exhilarating and seriously nothing else has worked to shred fat for me than running (and I was a competitive swimmer for most of my life). If you're worried about your form, just remember to run upright (not hunched over, abs tight), take small steps to conserve energy, and don't swing your arms across your body. You will look great!

Thank you for the advice - I do run a lot and enjoy it, I have just never ran on my own which now I think about it and listen to lots of you saying alone, it's quite odd I have never done it alone! Thanks :)
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    When I started running my friend and I set off together. We ran at diffrent paces and we were fine with that. we didnt compete with each other just followed one another along and it was nice. I moved away and now run alone and it doesnt bother me at all. I actually eajoy the time and clear my head. But every once in awhile my daughter will bike with me while I run and it gets her out too. I enjoy spending that time with her. As long as you enjoy running take it and run with it alone or not. Happy Trails :flowerforyou:
  • Bristle82
    Options
    Not to mean that you're insignificant, because you are important, but no one really pays attention to us when we run. Don't feel like everyone is watching you. Unless you're running in a funny looking outfit.

hehe yes I know what you mean - I will leave the pink tutu at home ;)
  • Bristle82
    Options

I would do it. And if you don't like it, then, at least you'll know.

You are quite right Amanda thank you :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    A woman I work with borrows the neighbors dog. Not even kidding. It helps. When I run with my dog I've noticed it is way more fun and I run longer and harder because I've got a ball of energy who wants to power through. It keeps me focused on my dog and 'training' her as we run so I'm not thinking about all the other crap.
  • Bristle82
    Options
    I like to run alone that way i can run at my own pace and there isnt anyone holding me back, and if its a nice day I would deff take that as a sign that would should run either further or fastest then you have been. :) lol

hehe well I will be panting after 20 minutes but I take your advice! I am going to do this - thanks all for the support!
  • Bristle82
    Options
    A woman I work with borrows the neighbors dog. Not even kidding. It helps. When I run with my dog I've noticed it is way more fun and I run longer and harder because I've got a ball of energy who wants to power through. It keeps me focused on my dog and 'training' her as we run so I'm not thinking about all the other crap.

Hmmmm I only have a cat and right now she is.... sleeping! As purrrrrr usual lol
  • Bristle82
    Options

Same here except i've tried with a running buddy and it didn't work well, we didn't have the same pace and I couldn't space out and just do it, she kept being chatty about all her problems in her life. Once i'm running, i'm spacing out and I don't care what I look like, just that it feels good.

Thanks yes i need some me time and to clear my head, Off to get the running shoes on!