Tuna and fish recipe ideas

Options
Nbbroker99
Nbbroker99 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
By far, I have found that tuna and other lean seafoods like whitefish have the highest nutrients and lowest calories and fat by far. I've taken it on to try and include one of these at least 3 to 4 times a week in my meals. That being said it's easy to get bored. I have seen a lot of people asking for ideas and I made something today that I wanted share.
Chopped Tuna and Artichoke salad
Chop everything very small
1 celery stick
1cup of raw spinach
1/2 cup cucumber
1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
1/2 cup tomato
1/8 cup red onion
1 can of tuna drained from water
1/2 can 100g canned artichoke hearts
1/4 cup of tzatziki sauce (cucumber yogurt dip)
2 tbsp zero fat miracle whip

I was thinking you could replace the tzatziki sauce with low-calorie ranch dressing or Greek yogurt for even lower fat.

This amount made exactly 2 cups of the salad and 1/2 cup I put as a serving.bzmbz81y9nd7.jpeg
99qzz7ac4wsl.jpeg

87 calories
2.1 g of fat
8.8 g of carbs
8.9 g of protein
441.1 mg of sodium
1.6 g of fiber
3.6 g of sugar

You can have this in a whole wheat pita, on crackers, as a sandwich filling or just on its own. Tons of flavour and looks good to eat!

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    That looks SO good. Tuna salad is on my menu this week so this is happening
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    By far, I have found that tuna and other lean seafoods like whitefish have the highest nutrients and lowest calories and fat by far.

Fat is an essential nutrient, so aiming to eliminate it or get it as low as possible isn't really a good idea. But if you are trying to reduce fat for one meal to make room for fat somewhere else in your day, serving your tuna salad on crackers as you suggest may well defeat the purpose--you should definitely check the label on whatever crackers you're using.

I like tuna salad served in a hollowed tomato when tomatoes are in season. I've seen people recommend serving it in avocado half (but lots of fat there). You could also mix in a little cooked pasta (mini shells, mini penne -- something small) and just eat it with a fork like a salad.

That said, I had a yummy rainbow trout fillet for dinner last night. Nothing much to the prep -- broiled with a little goat's butter, salt, and pepper for a couple of minutes, then drizzled with a mix of more butter, lime juice, and chopped parsley. I ate the whole fillet myself, but it could have served two with a couple of sides. 397 calories for 44 g of protein and 23 g of fat.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started making tuna salad with 1 can tuna, 3tbsp veggie (or other flavor) hummus, and yellow mustard. Added a healthy amount of onion powder, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning. I like mine on sandwich thins with baby spinach and sliced tomato on top. Super delicious and filling. The whole thing was approximately 331 calories, 36g carbs, 8g fat, 31g protein, and 8g fiber.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    That looks really good! Thanks for sharing.
  • amazonqueen29
    amazonqueen29 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For those that are sushi lovers you can substitute rice with cauliflower! You just rice the cauliflower cook it then add a little low fat mozz to make it gooey and spread it onto the nori! fy1hl3kcveez.jpeg
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos are good. I would use the white fish for them. I used to think fish tacos sounded disgusting until I made them one day. I rarely have beef tacos now.

I season fish with cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne then bake it (or foreman grill). Toast up a couple corn tortillas and put some fish in each. Top with salsa - I make mine because commercial brands are getting to where all I taste is salt. Also a little avacado would be good. Some chopped fresh greens on top to bulk it up. Then squeeze fresh lime and top with some plain fat free greek yogurt (more protein). So good.