Gain Muscle, Lose Fat, scale stops moving...frustration

Options
Hollycat here. I'm thinking about going against my instincts. My instincts tell me to keep dieting and do cardio to lose fat until I get to the halfway point, then start thinking about lifting weights again. Reason: I get frustrated when the scale stops moving because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. I have lately been thinking about risking that anyway. I really feel like I need to do more in the exercise department...start lifting some light weights 2 or 3 days a week, just to get my strength and flexibility building again. I know if I do this the scale will stop moving and I will be tempted to give up, as I have in the past. I know this is for life, but I'm just feeling uncertain and a bit worried. I've lost about 8 or 9 pounds and I want to keep the momentum going before I start deliberately slowing down the scale numbers. So....instead of focusing on the scale, I"m thinking about getting one of those BodyFat measuring devices. Does anyone know about them, their accuracy, how much they cost and where I can get one at a reasonable price?

Hollycat
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    I would consider using a measuring tape to take all your measurements and use that as a way to gauge progress instead of the scale. It will reflect muscle changes as you get smaller, even if the scale stays the same!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Do what I do... Lift for strength, not bulk. I go to the gym and lift 5 days a week and go for a 30 minute run afterwards to waste away whatever energy I have left. This way, my body isn't eating away my muscle since it's trying to build it at the same time and all that jazz blah blah you can read articles on that.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not in the same boat, keep up on your diet though.I weigh 220 right now and I know that at 185 lbs I will have significantly less fat with significantly more muscle. Keep striving for your goals.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • faerygirl33
    faerygirl33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was told, by a professional, lose fat for a while before you start lifting/using weights. Even tho muscle helps burn fat, you want to lose weight and fat before bulking up.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you......Im fighting with the scale today and its pissing me off. I dont care if its muscle I want lbs off! Its just so frustrating not seeing any results when you know youve been busting your *kitten* for weeks!

Hang in there!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree, measure more than just your pounds so that you can see all over progress and lose focus on just the weight as you're toning. Don't give up the cardio, keep doing that with the weights (you really should be doing some weights the whole time anyway). You can buy a sewing tape anywhere there is sewing equipment, I suggest getting one and start measuring your inches.
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm gaining muscle and not losing weight too.. I've been. I see the difference in my legs and my butt =) Happy with the changes but my overall weight loss has stalled. I was told I was doing too much Cardio.. I do lift a lil here and there but maybe I will just do 30 min cardio and 30 min of light weights..
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks guys! The old Tape Measure is probably just the thing.

And yes, I am eating enough. I vary between 1200 and 1800 net calories and I eat my exercise calories.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am right there too. The scale has stalled for the last three weeks and I know every one says "take your measurements" well, I have been doing that too, and the numbers aren't going anywhere on the tape measure either. I have tried zig-zagging my calories, I have tried eating more, I have tried exercising more, I have tried lifting more and now I am really stumped. I was ready to give it up this morning, but forced myself to the gym anyway.

Hopefully a couple more weeks and things will turn around. In the mean time, moderate weights (the definition is a thrill) 5-6 days of cardio and low fat/high protein diet. None of these can hurt, right? Any more suggestions?
  • LilySzalay
    LilySzalay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like what morganadk2 pointed out here. Remember the bigger picture is aiming for a healthy lifestyle.

We are/I am fixated with the numbers. It is difficult to get past this and that is where these sites help I think. You can go to get a professional BMI rating if you feel you must in order to grasp your state. I am relatively active and currently taking Evista for osteopenia. My doctor said she would have lost big money on a bet that I would have this since she knows I am so active. She told me to not stop what I am doing in the exercise department and pay attention to my intake.

For you, be mindful of healthy eating to be fit and healthy. Don't stop aiming for that healthier you. Continue exercising, maybe change it up some so you are not into body builder mode, although if it is muscle weight vs fat weight it might not be such a bad thing either.

Good luck with this lifestyle quest. Never give up!