Celiac Disease AND Sleep Apnea in past 3 weeks.

So in the past 3 weeks i finally received answers about my fatigue, hair loss, low mood and on and on, I have the autoimmune Celiac disease so my home is now gluten free and complicated, i have to cook every meal and i may have malnutrition from it. Then I was tested for Apnea and found out i stop breathing 7x an hour. Which has totally jacked my hormones that regulate appetite and satietation, gherlin, leptin, cortisol. This explains why I have struggled with the last 30 pounds for so long-but i just feel so overwhelemed and want my body healed now now now! its been so long until someone listened -18 years and the past 2 my symptoms nosed dived. I guess I am struggling w how to lose weight in this mess and workout- before these answers my workouts were super long cardio, or HIIT and occasional weights. but now maybe i dont need that workout , or maybe i should slow down and workout every other day for now, I just dont know how treatment will affect my weight loss journey. If anybody has any suggestions I would be greatful!

Replies

• jjskea
    jjskea Posts: 1 Member
    Good Morning, I have those also, as well hyperthyroidism which should make me skinny but of course no. I will tell you the truth it is hard at first but you will get there. Being Celiac there are really only a few diets that work for us...that are reasonable anyway. Paleo, it's awesome and I can tell you it does sucks the first couple weeks but you will feel amazing after 30 days. It's made for our systems. I did this for a year and it was the best I've felt or looked in years. It's hard and takes discipline at first, but eventually easy peasy.

Atkins, I felt pretty good on this too and you may not know this yet, but many Celiac's have a hard time processing dairy. So this makes this diet not as good for us. Especially in the beginning, I don't know how sick you get but I was pretty miserable the first year. What really helped me was when I saw my endocrinologist and he gave me some serious Vitamin D, we tend to have a hard time digesting fat soluble vitamins and I was seriously lacking. I actually had energy it was amazing. I wish you the best as you get this sorted out, just know you will feel have hard days but after awhile you will get to a place where you wonder how people can put that stuff in their body. Promise. Please let me know if I can help with anything as you get a routine down.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    You don't need a special "diet" like Atkins or Paleo if you have celiac. Like everyone else who needs to lose weight, you just need to eat fewer calories than you'd need to maintain your current weight.

I tend to avoid GF substitutes (I.e., GF bread) except as a treat. Eggs and fruit are good for breakfast. Salads or bean-something for lunch. Dinner can be a little tricky; what I've gotten in the habit of doing is making the main dish be GF, and have a gluten side dish as an option for the rest of the family.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,402 Member
    I have to agree with @jjskea to gain control of my celiac I went paleo til I got my body back in order and I was feeling great then I follow it to a point my body can tolerate yogurt so I eat that. Just go at it slowly and see what works for you.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 284 Member
    I'm gluten free but not celiac. When I was tested, I had 3 out of 4 of the markers, but the biopsy was fine. That was 1997!

I know it feels overwhelming at first. But this is totally doable. Back in 1997 there was almost no support. I got to know our local food co-op and went from there. There is also the Gluten Intolerance Group, who has been fighting for celiac recognition and better food labeling for years. I'll bet they have good resources on their site.

There are many gluten free grains, such as rice and quinoa, millet. There are flours available like from Nameste foods.

If you want any help, let me know. I am doing the cooking from whole foods thing myself.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 284 Member
    Does the doc have any advice for gut health replacement? I had supplements when we were repairing my gut health.
  • O2BNWA
    O2BNWA Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you all. My antibodies were off the charts 75 antibodies per ml of blood, so roughly 400,000 plus in my body. When the doc called me back in 2 weeks had passed, and she wanted me to take a biopsy, that would take 2-3 more weeks to schedule. but the results wouldnt prove any different than the blood test after being gluten free for that long so i said no. She referred me to a nutritionist but has no sent me for a metabolic panel , we discussed it but i think the nutritionist ( whom i am playing phone tag with) was going to see me and then she would sent me. In the meantime i have been taking my multi and 10,000 iu of vitamin D. She recommended increasing it that high until we get the panel back. I have found so many great resources. I am becoming very grateful for the autoimmune disease bc its forced me to stop treating my body like a dumpster. I already feel more awake, more energy, a more positive mood, a tiny bit more patience, and relaxed too. Its like a whole new world has opened instead of a loss i feel so excited to experiment with all the 100's of flours i knew nothing about. Food is tasting better. I am feeling satisfied and putting the fork down instead of feeling hungry after counting every crumb and like a failure as i did before. So far in the past 3 weeks I have lost 3 pounds, eating more food than i was and exercising a bit less! My friend said she thought i lost 15 bc i am no longer swollen and bloated! Its great! This celiac diagnosis has really made me take care of myself, make my health a priority. So thank you all for your support! I'm off to make some banana walnut GF muffins! enjoy the rest of your weekend ladies!
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    That's a lot to find out at once.

Its a trial and error learning process. Dont expect to feel better immediately but in a month or two the difference will be impressive.

As someone else said, dairy can be an issue for some celiacs and also oats even certified oats so listen to your body.

I'd recommend avoiding direct substitues like gluten free bread and cookies, crackers, etc. Not only do they have low nutritional value and you need to get as much nutrients in your calories to help with your vitamin deficiencies, but some of them taste like crap and will make you want the real thing.

Beware lipsticks, gloss, chapsticks as some contain gluten and will get you sick.

Feel free to add me. My diary is open to friends and I am strictly GF.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    That's a lot to find out at once.

Its a trial and error learning process. Dont expect to feel better immediately but in a month or two the difference will be impressive.

As someone else said, dairy can be an issue for some celiacs and also oats even certified oats so listen to your body.

I'd recommend avoiding direct substitues like gluten free bread and cookies, crackers, etc. Not only do they have low nutritional value and you need to get as much nutrients in your calories to help with your vitamin deficiencies, but some of them taste like crap and will make you want the real thing.

Beware lipsticks, gloss, chapsticks as some contain gluten and will get you sick.

Feel free to add me. My diary is open to friends and I am strictly GF.

This! EOS brand lip balm is GF; I don't like the way they fit in my pocket, personally, so I made my own lip balm last year.