Running Embarrassment

Options
I see a lot of women, but I'm sure some guys, who feel too embarrassed to run outside.

When I go outside, no matter how jiggly my parts felt to me at the time, I've never gotten a nasty look.

Here is what I have gotten:

AHEM:
~Older women giving me a "you go girl" look.
~Appreciative nods from men, which didn't feel dirty. They just liked seeing a women out there, doing her thing and sweating just as hard as any man.
~Little girls looking at me(while I'm wearing my cute running skirt), like "Woah, cool, that girl is kicking a@@ in a skirt!"
~Other women smiling at me
~A woman yelling at me, "Wow, you're fast!"... And it didn't feel fast to me, so it was awesome.
~And other runners from my neighborhood that approached me some other time after my run, to talk all about being a running enthusiast.
~Little boys singing the Rocky theme song as I passed them by over and over again.

Don't worry about the potential negatives. The positives far outweigh it. You *MIGHT* get a jerk every now and again... but they are rare, and well... a jerk.

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is so great, thanks for the encouragement. I'm a new runner, and little embarrassed by being one of the larger runners I see out there, and your post just gave me a boost of encouragement to go out there and kick some booty! Thank you! :happy:
  • brvanover
    brvanover Posts: 52
    Options
    i was always super nervous to run outside because I was larger and felt like people would judge me and think "wow, she really needs to run." But people are so nice! I love getting the "runners wave" when I pass people, it's like being in a super cool club, lol.

It's great to finally realize that other runners don't see you and think you don't belong, they just see another person running! It's great!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, i definitely used to do the whole quick switch to walking if i was running and saw someone up ahead. the funniest was when i wasn't paying attention and they caught me by surprise as we were crossing each other and my instinct was to switch. i think it was more embarrassing when they obviously could tell i was running and stopped because of them.

now i just don't care! and i have also never had a negative look or reaction, if anything, we just ignore each other or nod, but sometimes i've also gotten words of motivation!

haha glad i'm not the only one who suffers from runners embarrassment
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That is great. Inspiring. I go to the track and walk fast....but if noone is there....Ill run one side of the track....walk around then end of the football goal....then run down the other side.....etc. Im just embarrased to run in front of others because I havent learned how to breath while running correctly....and dont want to look like a fool. Thanks for sharing......something I need to think about. Thank you!
  • meghan1207
    meghan1207 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i've been running (slowly!) for years and whenever I see a new/bigger/timid runner, I have nothing but admiration for them. Running is HARD but worth it, and I'm always excited to see a newbie give it a go!!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    well put and thanks!
  • buttquack
    buttquack Posts: 10
    Options
    ~Little boys singing the Rocky theme song as I passed them by over and over again.

My favorite...I LOLd
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    How awesome! lol i love the little boys part lol
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT!
    I love running outside and since I run early in the morning I have a tendancy to dance/run. Probably looks crazy, but that is ok with me. I have gotten some honks and waves, I wave right back and keep going. I hope that if someone catches me mid dance moment they smile and have a good chuckle for the day. I am just happy to be out there doing my thing. Even in the pouring rain, like this morning. I got over any embarassment because I am having fun and that is important to ME!

Now, if anyone is willing to do the Rocky theme song for me . . . . :happy:
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    love it!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    AWESOME
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you're fast or slow, once you start running, you're in the club! It's a whole new world with it's own language and no one is judging (if they are, it's because they are jealous!). Keep up the good work, and who really cares what other people think, they don't have to live in your body, you do! A good idea is to sign up for a race, like a small 5K or so and you'll see the many different of sizes of people that are runners. I ran the Denver 1/2 Marathon last year with over 15000 people and we were all in the club, big and small!!
  • Kathryn72
    Kathryn72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So true! I've run for 4 years now and never had a negative experience/encounter while running outside. I just got back from a run and I wore my trusty running skirt for the first time this spring. I was hesitant to wear it because I'm a bit bigger than I was last spring. So what? People do notice me though. I often run into neighbours and acquaintances who comment that they drove by me on a run. They are always very admiring and positive though!

Don't be afraid to take it outside, running ladies! You will be so happy you did!
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I run outside everyday that I run unless there is a blizzard but it is usually at 4:45 a.m so no one is around and I do feel self-concious but every once in a while someone will say to me "I saw you running this morning and you were really going " or some such...makes me feel good!!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I *heart* running outside. The breeze. The trees. And my favorite moments are when I have seen someone while I was doing a warm-up walk, and then see them again while I am running. They always have this look on their faces like they expected me to walk the whole time. I love exceeding their expectations and altering their ideas of what fat people can do.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I got a "RUN, Forrrrrrrreeeeeesssst!" the other day when passed some teenagers who were walking their bicycles on the sidewalk up the hill. Not sure if they meant it maliciously or not, but don't care. I've compared myself to Forrest Gump enough times.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I got a "RUN, Forrrrrrrreeeeeesssst!" the other day when passed some teenagers who were walking their bicycles on the sidewalk up the hill. Not sure if they meant it maliciously or not, but don't care. I've compared myself to Forrest Gump enough times.

I think people see stuff around them and try to make connections. The Forrest Gump reference has become to go-to reference for runners. It used to be Rocky. Actually, I was surprised when a bunch of 7 year olds started singing Eye of the Tiger. lol
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

I agree with Bunches, they were probably just making the mental connection. But hey, if it was malicious, you can always look at it this way... You were running and making yourself healthier, while they were walking bikes up a hill, lol.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would loveee to have Forest Gumps stamina-lol
    I am still an insider treadmill brisk walker- I walk my dog once its dark cause embarassed/nervous. we live in a subdivision and there are some other joggers/runners and im just too nervous to do the outside thing. Im sure they have better things to do then see me walking/jogging and make fun - maybe one of these days ill get the courage.