Where my runners at?

Options
I'd love some more runner MFP friends! I'm training for my 2nd half marthon and trying to lose a regained 10 lbs plus *maybe* 10 more, but find training and losing SO tough! I'm using this training as a precursor to what I hope to be my 1st full marathon so I'll be peaking at 15 miles and pushing my weekly well above my normal 20 mpw.

I LOVE to eat, which is my first problem :) but I know how to do this, I've lost 130 lbs, but finding the motivation this time around is a little tougher, especially since I was on the maintenance train for almost a year...well ok, I guess since I've gained 10 lbs over the last 3-4 months that's not exactly maintenance LOL.

Anywho, I'm looking to figure out how to BALANCE my running life with my weight maintenance life and lose 10-20 lbs in the process. I think after this last weight loss "vacation" I've learned a lot and am finally on the right path to balance and away from the binge, restrict cycle. Would love to find some people on a similar path!

Friend me!

Replies

• KLow4
    KLow4 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey lady!!! Training for my fourth marathon (first post baby)! Would love to bounce some fun running things off of you!! I just started the training process and the balancing act of the babe and running is proving quite challenging! Hoping my feet don't fail me now! Good luck to you and your training. Fingers crossed for happy finishes! When is yours?
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    lol... I've done three 5K's at run, and a few fundraisers at run/walk speed.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Training for an Ironman...and I've found that the key to losing weight while training is actually knowing how many calories youre burning. I use the BodyMedia FIT.. Turns out I only need 2k calories a day even if I workout for 3+ hours.... I think another problem with training is the feeling that we need to eat so much. Turns out, we dont.. :) Good luck

Feel free to friend for motivation/tips (both ways!) :)
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    I just started training for my second half marathon yesterday. I gained some weight after my first one from lack of exercise and bad eating. I am trying to loose the weight at the same time as train hard to improve my time. Maybe we can help each other out?
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just recently finished my first 1/2 marathon on May 1~ so exciting! I have been thinking about training for a full, but have not fully decided yet. I'm in the middle of P90X and trying to balance all this exercise and food is a full time job (on top of my full time job). I agree with Rebecca- we really don't need to eat alot, even if we do exercise alot. Just focus more on eating the right foods and finding a good exercise/food balance. Good luck with the marathon training!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow! Quick reponses! SO awesome to see other runners out there.

My half is August 14th and I'm hoping to run the LA Marathon in March - still undecided...but think I'll register regardless.

My biggest issue is that I'm so hungry after my longer runs, anything over 10 miles and I'm starving all day! Even over 5 miles and I'm pretty hungry. But I think I was under eating a lot which was leading to WAY too much overeating. So I think with the help of MFP I'll be able to balance that out a bit. Only trick will be finding room for the occassional indulgence - guess I'll save those for long run days!
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    I run :) I do long distances and have my first ultra coming up later in the year.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    My biggest issue is that I'm so hungry after my longer runs, anything over 10 miles and I'm starving all day! Even over 5 miles and I'm pretty hungry.

My questions would be are you eating a pre-workout meal and fueling during the run? I did a blog post about it...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rebeccabarter/view/anyone-s-guide-to-preworkout-and-workout-nutrition-116591

Also, make sure you have a protein shake after your run or even at the tail end. It adds to muscle repair by 18%. Thats huge! It also helps with hunger. Lastly, general high levels of protein will keep you full for longer. Add chicken (grilled mmm), turkey, turkey sausage, low fat cottage cheese, etc.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    Options
    I run early (4:30 - 5:00 am) so I don't eat before I go, but I usually do take a GU - mostly to wake me up. I try to eat well the night before though.

I also shy away from the protien shakes, except after long runs for muscle repair like you said, because I don't find that they make a difference in my hunger so I don't like to waste the 100-200 cals when I can save it for "real" food later. I find the data on post work out shakes so contradictory it makes my head spin. Does anyone know of an article that would sway me one way or another? I'll check out your blog post too. Thanks!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Im a runner. Just did my first half last month and will be running my first full in january. My summer is full of local races. Feel free to add me.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half in Sept.....weight loss and training is difficult but doable...I have lost 8lbs since starting to train....I think one of the above posters added that we dont need to eat as much as we think...I always make sure my MFP food log is at 1200...I NEVER go below that......but I do not eat back all of my exercise calories....some but not all...I think that has helped my trememdously.....Im also having to get used to my legs....I soooo want skinny legs but that is not my build and now my legs are ALL muscle but not skinny.....have to learn to love that and not loathe it...LOL
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hello! Runner here! I did my first half marathon last month.. looking to do another in the fall. I'm also looking for more runner friends. Feel free to add me!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Have two half marathons under the fuel belt. Have three lined up in the fall before my full marathon in October. I don't think that's too much as I am really using them as my long runs during training so I shouldn't be burnt out by the time the marathon rolls around.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another fellow runner here. 22 marathons (actually one 50K and 21 marathons) and tons of shorter stuff. I've done LA four times (including the last two years) if you need any info.
  • vjles
    vjles Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK.

Been running for 20 years, currently running 160 miles per month!

Feel free to add me. :-)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a fairly new runner, I've been doing it about a year. I did my second 10k last weekend, and am aiming for a half marathon in the Autumn if I can find one nearby. I am doing another 10k in Sept as well. I have about 10lbs to lose too, and am struggling with doing so while maintaining my running times. I think my performance has dropped a bit in the last month as I get closer to my goal weight.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Runner here....ive only been running for a year but ive completed 2 half marathons and quite a few 5 and 10k. currently spending time working on strength and improving running form and speed. i will begin training for my 3rd half in july.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Another runner here. I did my 1st marathon last month and will be training again soon for #2 later this year. In the meantime I run shorter distances and am trying to shed more pounds before training begins again. Feel free to add me
  • DontThinkJustRun
    Options
    This is fantastic! I'm so excited to be on this journey with fellow runners!
  • cokpara
    cokpara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i LOVEEEE running, will add you as a friend... i also need more running friends!