Overwhelmed...How did you get Motivated to Start and stick with it ?

Options
ktbacon
ktbacon Posts: 2 Member
I need to do this and want to until the food is in front of me. How did you do it

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Why do you need/want to do this? What exactly do you want to do? For me, I wanted to fit comfortably in my clothes again....the uncomfortable clothes are a huge motivator every time I take a bite of food. I also wanted to see my muscles again, rather than having them covered in flab. Knowing that I'm going to have to log my food and see what my calorie count for the day really was also motivates me to turn down the excess food. I've found that after some time eating 1200 or less calories a day (most days), I physically cannot eat the amount that I once could.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I relate to this. My intention is strongest in front of the mirror and the weakest in front of the refrigerator.

Big tasks become do-able by breaking them down in to manageable pieces.

Here's an easy first step. Are you logging all your food? See if you can do that for a week, without trying to change anything else. In a week re-evaluate and if your first challenge covered, change something else.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Self love, baby steps, and forgiveness.
    Love yourself and remember why you are doing this. Small goals, and taking it one day at a time. Eg. If you know a day you will definitely be tempted by something eg. Birthday cake at work, your goal might be to just eat half a slice instead of a full one. And if you do slip up, forgive yourself and move on. Don't write the day off, just make better choices for the rest of the day.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've stuck with it for 21 days now. My motivation was my yearly physical when I found out that my cholesterol was bad, my blood pressure was up, and I was officially pre-diabetic. At only 51, I'm too young to be this unhealthy. I don't expect miracles, but I do expect that this is a plan I can live with and become my healthiest self.

I remind myself that I have never starved; if I pass up pizza today, it will not be my last chance ever to eat it.
  • tjsquires
    tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FOr me, it was the whole not fitting in pants thing. I have a lot of nice clothes that I can't wear because I enjoy the worst things in life.

One thing that works for me is to portion control, and if you're going to eat that slice of cake, understand why, don't make it a habit, and work for it.

I know it's probably not the healthiest (not eating it is, probly), but if I endulge at church for a cookie over my limit (I allow on Sunday for these things), I work harder -- five extra minutes on the treadmill the next day. If I have pizza with friends, that's 10-20 minutes. For me, it makes me ask if I really really want to feel the burn more tomorrow just to enjoy this now. I'm no diet expert but it works for me!

Also, as stated previously, forgive yourself -- we're not perfect and sometimes having that slice of cake is oh so worth it and needed -- moderation moderation moderation. Good luck!
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I finally decided I wanted to live my best life. Is that egg mcmuffin gonna get me there? No. Can I eat it? Yes. Do I want to? Not if I want to reach my goals. Write down goals and your whys and think about those things. In the face of temptation tell yourself, "I can eat that, but I don't want to."
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My motivation is how AMAZING it felt when I lost weight 3 years ago. I went into a dressing room to try jeans on, after i had lost 17lbs. I cried. It was so amazing to pick up a pair of jeans in a size I hadn't worn in 20 years, and they fit loose. It was amazing to gain the confidence to not be the "fat friend". I wasn't even extremely heavy, but when you lose the weight...it just is amazing. I think a big help is to plan your days food. I also do better when I work out. You don't want to undo the work you just did, so it is easier to walk away from temptation. I also planned a treat at the end of the day. If I knew I could have a little icecream, I could say no all day, looking forward to the saved calories at end of day. You can do it. Once you get going it gets easier.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Starting and sticking have their own separate sets of challenges.

I would recommend focus on reducing the feeling of overwhelmed. Pick one or two things that you know that you can do now. It can be to start eating breakfast every day, or stop drinking soda except once per week, or adding a piece of fruit to your breakfast every day, or drinking four glasses of water, or walking to the store instead of driving. Add a new thing when the previous has stuck.

To be able to stick to a new set of behaviour, and choosing that over the old one, it has to have some degree of instant gratification that can compete with that of the old behavior. Find foods that you like. Don't cut out anything you like, but reserve the most calorie dense ones as treats. You will appreciate them more without missing out. Create an eating pattern that fits with your schedule. Do some exercise that doesn't feel like exercise - playing with your kids, water aerobic, walking the dog, dancing.

Your habits will change when you change your behavior. And your behavior will change when you change your environment. And your preferences will change when you change habits. And your attitudes will change your preferences.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    vegangela_ wrote: »
    Self love, baby steps, and forgiveness.
    Love yourself and remember why you are doing this. Small goals, and taking it one day at a time. Eg. If you know a day you will definitely be tempted by something eg. Birthday cake at work, your goal might be to just eat half a slice instead of a full one. And if you do slip up, forgive yourself and move on. Don't write the day off, just make better choices for the rest of the day.

This! Self love, baby steps, and forgiveness!
    Baby steps. First, just log everything you eat. Don't worry about macros or calorie counts that first week- just eat what you normally eat. Once you've logged for a week, it will be much easier to see where you can make healthier choices and small changes. I originally was on a plan my doctor set up where I started eating at the top of my total daily expenditure, and then cut out calories a little at a time until I was in weight loss- it made it so much easier than just jumping into a diet.
    Remember that this is change for life, and it starts with one tiny step at a time.
  • ThickJoker
    ThickJoker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How I got started... was not to plan it at all and just did.. I woke up and went to work and instead of eating like normal I looked up something low calorie and did it, after that I just kept on.. I had no plans to start it that day.. or even keep on...

How I managed to stick to it after the first day? pure freaking spite. Like I angrily kept going on, I complained the whole time, but I'm on day six and it is getting easier.

Still doing it spitefully but at least I'm doing it.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great! It gets easier day by day.
  • krazgrl
    krazgrl Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The one thing I tell people that seems to have the most impact is that before I indulge in something, I ask myself 2 questions:
    1. Have I had it before? (If no, go to question 2) If yes, that means I don't need it now.
    2. Can I get it again? If yes, I don't need it now. If no (AND it's special - like an Iron Chef prepared 10-course meal), then eat it. If it's not Iron Chef special, you can always eat some, but use moderation. :smile:

Also be sure to drink lots of water. You may mistake thirst for hunger.