Packed lunch ideas for weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to lose weight and want to know what I should take for packed lunch? (Where I go there is no microwave to heat up food)
So I usually take fruit and tuna sandwich. But my only issue is I've heard eat bread every single day is not good for weight loss. And just eating fruit does not fill me up for lunch. So what else can I take that I won't have to heat up? Thank you :)

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Eating bread every single day is fine as long as you're not going over your calories. Bread/carbs not being good for weight loss is a myth. Pack whatever you like to eat, as long as it's going to make you feel satiated and it fits in your goals. Personally, I love to have plain Greek yogurt for lunch that I add things to, such as fruit and granola. Sometimes I'll bring a salad with chicken in it.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I bring left-overs pretty much every day, but I do have access to a microwave. If I didn't have a microwave, i would probably just bring a giant salad every day, with lots of veggies, cheese, meat, maybe eggs, avocado, etc.

Bread is not good for me because it just makes me more hungry when I eat it. Your mileage may vary.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :)
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do better with weight loss when I don't eat bread every day...I know you can do it, but my body just feels better when I don't...to lighten up the bread, I find low calorie pitas to make sandwiches. I also do a variety of salads (I put fresh mozzarella cheese on it when I don't have any leftover chicken or meat...sometimes even when i do have chicken! and a bunch of tomatoes...with a balsamic vinaigrette its a big caprese salad!).
  • marissarekush
    marissarekush Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually have quite a big lunch and a smaller dinner. I take a sandwich (ham,chicken,lettuce,little mustard/mayo,and a thin slice of cheese), Greek yogurt, veggies, & ranch dip. It's about 598 calories but I like having my bigger meal in the middle of the day.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No microwave? Incorporate PB (keep it under 2tb) and carrots or apples. Hummus/carrots. Cucumbers dipped in salsa or avocado dip. Pretzels and hummus. Popcorn.
  • Makaiookami
    Makaiookami Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Carbs are your first line of energy. So while that stuff will be burned faster, and fat is harder to break down than carbs, as long as you are using more calories than your body is getting, you will lose weight. Carbs are an easy villain to attack. Your brain needs carbs.

The light dinner is really good for you. A big dinner means that your body is turning those calories back into fat, so when you wake up you won't have lost as much weight. Though since it's harder to break down fat, I don't think eating late really does anything negative to you. In the short term you convert it to fat, but in the long run isn't your body expending more energy to burn that fat? Though if it negatively impacts your sleep that could hurt.

The calculation for weight loss is easy.

X-Y=Z

X Calories in
    Y Calories burned
    Z Net affect.

If your X is 3000 calories, and your Y is 2000 your Z is 1000. You've gained 1000 calories.

a gram of fat is 8 calories.

Z/8=A

A = Fat(g)

Then you can just ask google or Siri to convert A(g) into A(lb) by saying "Convert __A goes here____ grams to pounds."

So that's how you find out if that extra slice of Cheesecake is worth it to you. Is it worth the extra 10th of a pound to a quarter of a pound of fat. (360 calories is about 10th of a pound, and 1000 calories is about 1/4 of a pound)
  • anniemac08
    anniemac08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you like sandwiches but want to limit bread (which is up to you, bread isn't the enemy), you can try sandwich thins, flatbreads, pitas, or even using lettuce leaves to roll your fillings inside. Salads are great, too. I'm a big fan of chopped salads - I just chop up everything (hard boiled egg, avocado, all sorts of veggies, maybe lunchmeat or leftover grilled chicken, the whole deal), throw it in a bowl with a small bit of dressing. For me, it's a great way to use up what's in my fridge :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Big salad girl here. I mean BIG salad--like 350-400 grams of shredded broccoli, napa cabbage, spinach, and /or lettuce just to start. Add some tuna, cheese, hard boiled egg, leftover chicken breast, or baked tofu for protein, a bit of light vinagrette dressing; and maybe some tomato, celery, carrot, radish, cucumber or kimchi to mix up the flavor, and I'm good!
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love chicken salad (made with fat free yogurt, celery, etc), romaine, and a few crackers. My other go to lunch includes salad, boiled egg, and guacamole.