Underactive thyroid & struggling to lose weight

Options
zoegough192
zoegough192 Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a underactive thyroid. I weigh 10st 10lbs originally a size 8 frame but wearing size 10-12 clothes. I feel down and trapped in my body.
I only eat white meat ie turkey, chicken and fish all in which are healthy. I don't like sweet foods ie sweets, cakes etc but struggling to lose the weight. Stuck in a rut! Food suggestions I can have or something that will help me lose weight? Help please x

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I assume you're on medication? What kind? Are you numbers all in the good range?

Do you not eat any veggies or fruits?

Are you weighing or measuring and logging everything you do eat? What's your calorie goal?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication for it? Once you get on meds it does get a bit easier. I take synthroid and cytomel and it took a good 8-9 months for everything to even out. Are you eating at a deficit? Exercising? All of these things will help.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keeping carbs below 100 grams/day will help.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hear your pain. Before I was diagnosed with hypothyroid, my doctor had me on a medically supervised 1000 calorie diet, and I was gaining. Gaining weight at 1000 calories. That's what finally got her taking my "I keep gaining weight and I'm exhausted all the time!" complaints seriously. It took about three months to get my meds regulated and sorted, but once I was balanced again, it was so much easier to lose that weight and my energy levels soared!
  • Agibelle
    Agibelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I just cleaned my diet and started doing yoga and going to the acupuncturist. I stopped gaining weight. Sometimes holistic approach can help in addition to meds. In my case, I even was able to stop the meds and control my thyroid with natural supplements.... it wasn't possible before!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been in a rut and finally worked out it related to my thyroid. I did the aggressive diet 1200-1400 cal per day and 1 hr of exercise 6 days a week for 12 weeks. I lost 20or so pounds but it wasnt a lifestyle I could maintain. It did however help with the energy levels and my TSH improved (diagnosed a few weeks into it). However after going back to a more realistic diet I became tired and lethargic again and struggled to get my weight to move.

I decided to give the meds a go. I've only been on them for a week so no massive changes yet. I do feel a little more alert and wasnt as wiped out after mowing lawns etc on the weekend. I am hoping that my energy levels continue to rise which will make life/work/exercise easier as I have been struggling. I have been trying to take vit D too, not everyday but most days.

Foodwise I dont find any particular food helps me, trying to stay away from caffeine/sugar as its a bit of a high/low cycle for me. I need the high to get going and then the low is low and I come crashing down.
  • Greensherbert
    Greensherbert Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agibelle wrote: »
    I'm the same. I just cleaned my diet and started doing yoga and going to the acupuncturist. I stopped gaining weight. Sometimes holistic approach can help in addition to meds. In my case, I even was able to stop the meds and control my thyroid with natural supplements.... it wasn't possible before!

Care to share what your natural supplements were that helped control ? Thanks!