Logging my food

Options
tjsquires
tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
Hello fellow MFP users,

So this is my third attempt at this whole getting less large ordeal here and, I must say, I’m doing pretty well when it comes to fitness – I got me a new Fitbit and am enjoying it, however, that’s not my purpose here.

When it comes to logging my food, I fall into a couple of issues Meaning, I’m hoping to make things easier An example is – for breakfast for example – I ate a bubba’s bagle with a bit of cream chese, a cup of coffee with a splash of coffee creamer and a packet’s worth of sugar I feel that it should be easier to log. Right now, I’m having to find coffee, log it, find creamer, pick the serving size, log it, bagle and cream chese are the same, and it is cumbersome to me. Is there a way to add bagle with cream chese and just be able to click on that to save time?

I am aware of importing recipes from the web, but, for things I guestimate (spaghetti comes to mind), adding each thing is tedious.

Thank you all for the advice – feel free to add me if you like! As a side note, I don’t bite – can’t afford the extra callaries!

Tj

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same coffee each morning so I made it a recipe so I can quickly add it each morning. You could do that with anything you eat regularly.
    It's important not to guesstimate. If you want this to work for you, you really need to weigh and measure every single thing you consume.
    It's time consuming at first but it will get easier.
  • Cathyd07222016
    Cathyd07222016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you have it every day it will also show up in your Recent or Frequent foods.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Once you log it, save it as a meal. Then next time you go there, just go to My Meals, choose Bagel/Cream Cheese/Coffee (or however you choose to label it), and everything will automatically be logged.

What you want to do isn't necessarily the best idea. You want to be as accurate as possible, and choosing a generic bagel with cream cheese entry from the database won't necessarily reflect the same calories/macros of the one you're actually eating.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Put in the effort to get it right/accurate once then it comes up as a recent food item just click the box and you have it all simple for the next time.
  • tjsquires
    tjsquires Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Making it a meal is exactly what I was looking for -- thanks, all!

I do intend to get a kitchen scale in the near future.
  • michaelalbany494
    michaelalbany494 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups, spoons and scale are wonderful when I cook dinner I add all the ingredients etc. makes it easy. The real key is consistency. I went from rarely remembering to log my food, to now I log it right after or at a restaurant I add it before I eat. If I forget I set a reminder alarm on my phone to go off before bed to log any missed food.