Unable to lose weight

Options
Okay so I've been dieting for months now.

I was put on medication a few months back that made me gain about 4/5 stone, and I'm at an EXTREMELY uncomfortable weight now.

I've tried so many things: from tablets that supposedly make you lose weight; going to the gym regularly; cutting out sweet things and generally eating less altogether. I've tried different theories such as eating at different intervals and living off solely water, I go to slimming world too, and even their regime of better eating and exercise - which works for the rest of my family- isn't working for me. I've done the same things I did to lose weight at previous stages of my life, but it just seems no matter what I do it's impossible for me to lose weight. It's very frustrating and tbh I feel downright disgusting, but it seems there is just nothing I can do about it.

Please, anyone, ANYTHING (AND please be in detail if you can)

Replies

• brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Count calories for EVERYTHING you put in your mouth. Don't just cut out sweets.
  • BryanK1977
    BryanK1977 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's as simple as Calories in / Calories out. Eat less than you burn/ need to survive. MFP gives you the tools to give you a rough estimate of how much you need to eat. Get a food scale, log everything accurately and stay within your calorie goals. It really is that simple. Without being accurate and simply eating less or cutting out sweets you can still easily eat too much. Good luck but that's really all there is to it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    What they said. Calories in < Calories out will result in weight loss.

Log everything. Weigh it properly first as much as possible. Be careful to not overestimate exercise calories. Consistency is key, so keep it up even if you don't see much loss in the first week or two.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with medication and excessive weight gain. I went and talked to my doctor and she found another medication and switched them. Since then, I have been slowly losing the weight. Try talking to your doctor and see if there's something else you can take.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    CICO; calories in, calories out. Keep track of your water too; a lot of medications cause weight gain due to impacting appetite but also affecting hormones and water retention.

Regardless, if you're consuming less calories than you're using, you'll lose weight (even if it might be slower/ less even than it should be).

I highly suggest using a TDEE calculator like iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ this one here.

If you find that you're gaining weight at eating 20 percent less than your TDEE (the suggested amount for losing weight), then lower your TDEE by 100-200 calories and try again. This may take over 4 weeks.

Weightloss takes time. Adjusting your lifestyle, improving your health for sustainable loss that you won't gain back, this takes time.

But it can be done. You can do this. But you have to want it, for sure, and you have to remember that it doesn't matter if you cheat or try not to add a calorie to your diary, because your body will always know what calories have been in it and respond accordingly.

For exercise, the best activity plan is one that you can stick with consistently, but also should meet your goals; are you just interested in weight loss? Do you want to look 'toned'? Do you want to get stronger? Are you not yet sure?

Lifting followed by HIIT is supposed to be some of the most effecient of ways to stimulate fat burn and muscle growth.

For pure weight loss, cardio is a great way to burn calories (but often makes you hungrier than just lifting on its own).

For aesthetics, Ice Cream Fitness (lifting) and Strong Curves (lifting with butt/thigh focus) are often rec'd. I'm on Starting Strength right now with Cardio (Fitness Blender videos and some stationary biking). Lost 30lbs so far, getting stronger day by day.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eating plays a much bigger role in weight loss than exercise does. Cut back on some of the food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    From the sound of it you haven't actually tried a calorie deficit for any meaningful length of time yet...?