Setting Calories for Walking Exercise

Options
Hi all!

I am huge fan of walking exercise. In fact, it's the only exercise that I can do. With my current fitness level, I don't think I will be able to step up to more vigorous exercise in the next 6-12 months.

I plan to eat around 1600 calories a day, which is -25% from my TDEE. Am I getting result with this plan?
Has anyone get success with only walking exercise? If you do, how much calories do eat everyday?

Thank you.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    People have success with no exercise and with only walking. 10,000 steps a day is about 1h40 for me and uses up a few hundred calories more than sitting around.

1600 sounds a shade high to me, at that level I wouldn't eat the extra calories allocated from walking. I suspect you're quite heavy and getting an overestimate of TDEE on account of high weight.
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Walking is great form of exercise - low impact. You can give more kick to calories by also including some uphill walking. As you will read in most of the threads, its all about calorie in - calorie out. In my opinion, it does not matter how calories are burnt, running 10 min or walking 30 min, its all calories burnt in the end. Use the MFP exercise log to find out how many calories you are burning. I would also advise, if possible try lifting some weights. It has the added advantage of building muscles to make you stronger, and muscles burn more calories.
  • aqila17
    aqila17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @yarwell I'm around 280 lbs, 5'4. Even at 1600 cal/day I still feel very hungry. Most of the time I eat back my exercise calories. Some other time I exceed my calories limit. But it's still in the beginning of my attempt to lose weight. I hope I'm getting better in the next weeks and months.

@hiker583 I only have small dumble, each a pair of 5 and 10 pounds, and resistant band. just last night I tried no equipment exercise on youtube, It's so damn hard... So at the moment walking is the only option for me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry may be about what you're eating or may just be in your mind. I see a fair bit of added sugar, white bread, milk shakes, sugary drinks, biscuits etc in your diary.

I would just eat 1600 to lose weight, and bank the walking as extra weight loss at this stage of the game. Might need to change when you get below 200 lbs but that's some way off.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and love it, so if I get any exercise at all, it's in the form of walking! I generally don't count any calories from it unless i do more than 3 miles though, unless I am doing a more intense session, like a fast pace on an incline or something. I try to do at least 3 miles at a moderate pace every day.

Keep in mind that exercise isn't needed for weight loss, though. That will come down to your calories. If you're still feeling hungry, try lowering your loss. If you have it set to 2 pounds a week, try 1.5 so you can get more calories each day.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    One note of caution is that MFP tends to over count exercise calories.