Hello, breastfeeding here

Options
Hello everybody, I am Lila and I come from Greece. I am 5,3 high and I weigh 154 pounds. I am very excited with this site, I went through a phase thinking that I could lose eating only fruits and vegetables. Now I realised that it is only about calorie deficit. I am so excited that I can eat whatever I want!
My question is, how do I calculate my calorie burn as I am breastfeeding. There is not such option in the settings. Therefore I had to check the "Active" box, considering that I am losing about 500 kcal from breastfeeding my 15 month old daugther every day. MFP showed that I have to consume 1200 kcal per day. Isn't it too little? And the days I work out I should eat more? Is that right?

Replies

• stephaniemg3
    stephaniemg3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The formulas this site use won't help much if you're actively breastfeeding. Yes not going crazy with your eating is wise but I'd suggest focusing on nutrition more then just calories. I'm big into natural health and it's really not just about calorie deficit. That might only slow down your metabolism. I actually eat 2-4 oz a day of coconut oil. Thats 460- 920 calories a day from fat! Right now I weigh a little more but I have lost weight even while eating that much fat every day.
  • hannahjhen
    hannahjhen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, first I want to say way to go on breastfeeding it is awesome and difficult but so worth it I uam currently weaning my son after a year of breastfeeding. So I have gone from 170 to 138 by exercise and eating healthy what I found while breastfeeding was that I didn't need to worry about how much I was consuming or calorie intake as long as what I ate was mostly healthy. I did allow myself to indulge on a cookie every now and then. When you start to wean you will want to pay closer attention to calorie intake. I didn't and have gained 8 pounds which is why I am starting my fitness again. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck with everything :)
  • BabyWeightLindsay
    BabyWeightLindsay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! Me too! I found breastfeeding in the "foods" section. It adds -500 calories (or whatever you decide based on mixing in formula etc.) It will take that number out of your total calories. A weird thing I found though is that I only see the difference in calories on my ipad or desktop, it doesn't show up on the app in my phone. I am however technically challenged so maybe it is me? Anyways I am friend requesting you!
  • LilaIoannidou
    LilaIoannidou Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The formulas this site use won't help much if you're actively breastfeeding. Yes not going crazy with your eating is wise but I'd suggest focusing on nutrition more then just calories. I'm big into natural health and it's really not just about calorie deficit. That might only slow down your metabolism. I actually eat 2-4 oz a day of coconut oil. Thats 460- 920 calories a day from fat! Right now I weigh a little more but I have lost weight even while eating that much fat every day.

I like to look if a theory has been proved by scientific research. Research says when it comes to losing weight it is only simply about calorie deficit. You will lose weight equally if you eat a meal equal of 1000 kcal of lettuce salad with olive oil and a meal equal of 1000 kcal of hamburger and potato chips.
    Also reasearch says that metabolism doesn't slow down that easily. This is a myth.

Of course I don't eat counting only calories, I take care to reach balance in the macros (carbs, proteins and fats) and I eat mostly naturally, whole foods, fruits and veggies every day. But if I want a candy bar, I will eat it and not feel guilty! I went many times through periods of feeling deprived and this hasn't helped me. It always ended in binging and huge disappointment!

Yes, you can eat 50 - 80% fat in your diet and still lose weight, provided you are in calorie deficit. Have you counted how many calories you eat in total? Also why do you eat so much coconut oil? Isn't it supposed to be saturated?
  • LilaIoannidou
    Options
    Hey! Me too! I found breastfeeding in the "foods" section. It adds -500 calories (or whatever you decide based on mixing in formula etc.) It will take that number out of your total calories. A weird thing I found though is that I only see the difference in calories on my ipad or desktop, it doesn't show up on the app in my phone. I am however technically challenged so maybe it is me? Anyways I am friend requesting you!

Thanks, that was really helpful! I have added you as a friend.
  • LilaIoannidou
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hannahjhen wrote: »
    Hi, first I want to say way to go on breastfeeding it is awesome and difficult but so worth it I uam currently weaning my son after a year of breastfeeding. So I have gone from 170 to 138 by exercise and eating healthy what I found while breastfeeding was that I didn't need to worry about how much I was consuming or calorie intake as long as what I ate was mostly healthy. I did allow myself to indulge on a cookie every now and then. When you start to wean you will want to pay closer attention to calorie intake. I didn't and have gained 8 pounds which is why I am starting my fitness again. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck with everything :)

Thanks! You bet breastfeeding is difficult! I haven't slept for months! I plan to train her not to breastfeed during the nights when she is 18 months.
    However I don't base my diet only on eating healthy, because I am a big eater and I end up eating huge quantities! Counting calories works better for me, so that I don't lose track!
    What kind of exercise did you do and how long? I was also very enthusiastic to start a vigorous exercise program (Tabata training) 5 times per week, but unfortunately I ended up with a sore lower back, so for the time being I am not doing anything. :(