Looking for veggie friends!

Options
DEgal99
DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
I'm looking for some vegetarian/vegan (or trying to be!) friends to help encourage a healthy lifestyle and maybe swap some recipes. I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 11 years (12 in July) but only recently have I really been trying to expand my food knowledge. So I'm looking for people who want to share food ideas that are veggie friendly! :)

Replies

• 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm veggie. Mostly a vegan diet, but I'm known to stray on occasion. I love to cook, hence my name.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Yeah!! Another veggie!! :bigsmile:

I have been veggie for almost 4 years and borderline vegan these days. I would love to share recipes - this is an awesome site!

http://vegweb.com/
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    HI! I'm veggie. Mostly a vegan diet, but I'm known to stray on occasion. I love to cook, hence my name.

Love it!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    been veggie my ENTIRE life, never ever tasted meat or fish...always welcome veggie and vegan friends, please feel free to add me..anyone in this thread!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    We're here! There are a lot of veg (or veg friendly) people here on MFP! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi! Vegetarian here (will eat salmon every now and again), love cooking and making veggie meals that taste great (husband will eat meat so I gotta stay one step ahead).
  • DEgal99
    Options
    I'm glad to see this quick response! I've added everyone so far as a friend and am excited to share some great new veggie dishes!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey all, this recipe is one of my all-time faves and is fairly simple to make! Quinoa-stuffed bell peppers:

http://elizabethsedibleexperience.blogspot.com/2009/11/quinoa-curiosity.html

If you're into making your own enchilada sauce (it's way easy), I use the recipe here (ignore the meat...):

http://blogchef.net/beef-enchiladas-recipe/

Yum. Meat-eating husband LOVES these and even feels full after, no meat required :)
  • KikiOmaha
    KikiOmaha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been mostly vegetarian for almost a year now and my boyfriend has been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I occasionally do eat fish. I am getting much better about eating well balanced meals and getting plenty of protein and needed nutrients. This website is a great way to keep track of course.

I enjoy cooking and experimenting with flavors. I am happy to share recipes any time! It will also be nice to get hints and tips from others as I am a veggie newbie.
  • DEgal99
    Options
    Hey all, this recipe is one of my all-time faves and is fairly simple to make! Quinoa-stuffed bell peppers:

http://elizabethsedibleexperience.blogspot.com/2009/11/quinoa-curiosity.html

If you're into making your own enchilada sauce (it's way easy), I use the recipe here (ignore the meat...):

http://blogchef.net/beef-enchiladas-recipe/

Yum. Meat-eating husband LOVES these and even feels full after, no meat required :)

Mmmm... sounds delicious!
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm a borderline pesce-vegetarian. I do have the occasional BLT (sorry folks) and chicken likes to come back and bite me in the butt. However, I generally avoid red meat like the plague and have chicken on occasion. I love vegetables, and am trying more and more to avoid all meat altogether. I want to be completely vegetarian, but its really difficult in my region (Midwest). Everyone loves beef, and in almost all restaurants the only veggie option is an iceberg lettuce salad (not my favorite).

I would love to have veggie friends to talk to and get recipes from (and if I come up with or find any recipes, of course I'd share those too).
  • vegilover73
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian almost 20 years; almost vegan lately (feta cheese gets me occassionaly!). Since I joined MFP I've realized just how little protein I get and how many carbs I'm eating. I'm happy if I get 20g protein/day. Any vegan-ish suggestions?! I've started eating a lot of quinoa, but that is also high carb. I feel like I can't win this protein/carb fight! I can't lose weight for anything :(
  • KikiOmaha
    KikiOmaha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian almost 20 years; almost vegan lately (feta cheese gets me occassionaly!). Since I joined MFP I've realized just how little protein I get and how many carbs I'm eating. I'm happy if I get 20g protein/day. Any vegan-ish suggestions?! I've started eating a lot of quinoa, but that is also high carb. I feel like I can't win this protein/carb fight! I can't lose weight for anything :(

I've been obsessed with quinoa lately. Just two days ago I made a warm quinoa salad. (Cooked quinoa topped with grilled eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and red onion marinated in a little olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar.) In my case I topped it with little mozzarella balls, but you could easily toss in some pine nuts instead to stay with the Italian feeling.

Also, something I make all summer is Black Bean Salad. It feels light and refreshing (tons of recipe versions out there.) I eat beans several times a week in many different varieties. I will toast chickpeas instead of eating hashbrowns; I eat black bean patties with salsa & avocado instead of a burger & bun; I mix lentils with rice to add more protein; and of course tofu is a great option, except my boyfriend doesn't like it. Then, because I've bulked up the meal with protein and high fiber foods, I don't deny myself the carbs, but I can decrease them.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian 20 years but occasionally eat fish and I eat dairy but I don't eat red meat or chicken. I only recently discovered tofu would you believe! I tried it year ago and it was glupey and horrible! but then I tried the seasame tofu and veg dish in Pei Wei and it was soooooo good. I haven't tried to do tofu myself though.

Must try quinoa also. I'm a pretty boring vege actually. Love my steamed veg and salads nothing too exciting.
  • vegilover73
    Options
    That sounds great! Now I'm hungry :) Thanks for ideas!!!
  • sonbeam
    sonbeam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am also vegetarian (I do eat salmon). I too would love to have some vegetarian friends to share ideas and recipes with.
  • 30in11
    30in11 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi! I've been a vegetarian for 14 years. I try to eat clean and currently I'm trying to up my protein intake to build muscle. I'd love to connect with other veggies here.