Foods that fill me up

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for foods that will fill me up? I'm still hungry after I eat.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What kinds of foods are you eating now?
  • janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smaller servings of what I used to eat
    Breakfast- Cheerios or 2 eggs and bacon
    Lunch- salads, sandwich, or left overs
    Dinner- a small serving of whatever we make

I'm mostly starving before lunch and still hungry after lunch.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber help me feel fuller longer. Eating lean protein and lots of plant fiber- oatmeal, black beans, etc- has really helped me stick to my eating plan.
    Try adding 1/2 cup of beans to your diet- garbanzo beans and white beans can easily be added to salads and have both protein and fiber. Swap out your cheerios for oatmeal. Look for ways to replace things you already eat with higher protein & fiber options.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, soups/broths, popcorn/kettle corn, high volumes of veggie or certain fruit, smoothies, herbal tea, coffee, salads, adequate protein. things like bread, cookies, cereal, candy,or sweets in general make me want more. so if i want something to fill me up i eat a real meal or something that takes up a lot of room
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to switch up the foods for something new. Or you may need to add high fiber fruit/fiber cereal to your breakfast, and big portions of vegetables to your lunch/dinner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How aggressive is your deficit?
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get most hungry in the morning. I eat two breakfasts! I have two slices of toast with a fried egg and cheese about 7-8am, then a few hours later I gave cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. I eat five times a day. Letting myself get hungry is a trigger point for me to make bad choices. For me, upping my protein helps me feel fuller longer.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Protein is best at satiating hunger. I suggest increasing your protein intake.
  • jademaid
    jademaid Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like steamed cauliflower with vinegar. It helps fill me up and is a healthy snack and since both have very few calories and don't count in many diet plans, they are the perfect combo for a snack without feeling like you're cheating.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Weird idea. You could try intermitent fasting 16:8. Meaning you don't eat for 16hours and only eat within a 8 hour window. For example: skip breakfast and start with a (bigger) lunch. That way lunch & dinner will definitely leave you satisfied.

IF is easier for me / comes more natural. If I have a small breakfast I'm usually hungry til lunch. When I skip breakfast I'm not really hungry until lunch! I'm doing this now for 3 months.

How aggressive is your deficit?

This!

Cheerios won't keep you full.

Food that is high in protein usually keeps me full. When I get hungry I snack on carrots or sometimes apples.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Smaller servings of what I used to eat
    Lunch- salads, sandwich, or left overs
    Dinner- a small serving of whatever we make

I'm mostly starving before lunch and still hungry after lunch.

Eat a bigger salad at lunch, add protein to it as well. good snack b/w lunch and dinner would be a hard boiled egg, apple... lots of options!!!
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to supplement with snacks. I am eating 5 or 6 times a day.
    If I ate 3 times Id be hungry as you!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and some frozen berries. Keeps me full til lunch.

Vegetables are awesome too. A microwave bag of broccoli is like 100 calories for 4 cups...which is a ton of broccoli. lol.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    While I don't do intermittent fasting, I've noticed that by moving my breakfast to later in the morning and splitting it in two, I avoid the mid-morning hunger.

Pre-diet, I would wake up at 5 am and have breakfast right away. Cheese toast or PB toast, usually. Then I would get dressed, etc. I would start getting hungry at 10, force myself to wait til 11 to eat but then eat a big lunch cause I was so hungry.

Now, I wake up at 5 am and do 30-60 min workout, shower, and take my breakfast with me to work. I get to work at 8 and putter around answering emails for a bit. Then eat my breakfast around 9. Smoothie, hardboiled eggs, or plain nonfat greek yogurt+fruit. I have a small snack at 11 - cottage cheese or another one of the breakfast options+ a big cup of plain black tea.

Usually I can then hold off lunch until 12:30 or 1, especially if I have time/weather is nice enough to go out for a quick 20 min walk around the block right before lunch. With my lunch I eat either a big salad or a big portion of leftover cooked veggies. This usually keeps me pretty full til dinner.
  • jademaid
    jademaid Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is always a great breakfast option to keep you full until lunch. There are lots of Pinterest recipes so you can make them the night before and grab them on the way out in the morning.

Also, fruits like bananas, berries, and apples can keep you full and provide some good nutrients and additional fiber to your diet.
  • janicekdavis484
    janicekdavis484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'll google some protein/fiber options. I think I'll also try to delay breakfast. I'm not really hungry in the morning I just feel like I have to eat and then bamo there goes 300/400 calories and when lunch comes I'm starving.
    What are some low cal snacks y'all eat?
    I read cottage cheese, fruit, yogurt, veggies. Any other yummy and filling ideas?
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber help me feel fuller longer. Eating lean protein and lots of plant fiber- oatmeal, black beans, etc- has really helped me stick to my eating plan.
    Try adding 1/2 cup of beans to your diet- garbanzo beans and white beans can easily be added to salads and have both protein and fiber. Swap out your cheerios for oatmeal. Look for ways to replace things you already eat with higher protein & fiber options.

^^^this^^^
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I like protein and fat, personally.

Does the eggs and bacon keep you more full than the cherrios? This may be a good indicator of what would make you feel more satisfied. Or, are you a volume eater?

Add protein to your salad at lunch.
  • kabigelow
    kabigelow Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    try eating less at breakfast, if you're not that hungry. My breakfasts are usually greek yogurt with chia seeds or a light english muffin with a tbsp of light cream cheese and it keeps me satisfied, all around 160-200 calories. I dont feel like I kill my calorie counts for a meal I'm not that hungry for in the first place and you can have extra calories at lunch and dinner.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a fiber girl. I average 35-40 g of fiber a day.

Breakfast is an omelet with 200 g of veggies (mushrooms, onions and spinach are some favorites).

Lunch is often 350 -400 g of "heavy" raw veg - salad-- napa cabbage, celery, shredded broccoli, chopped bok choy, cole slaw mix. They keep me fuller than lettuce or spinach. Then add a protein like hard boiled eggs, shredded cheese, Asian - spiced baked tofu.

Dinner starts with stir fried veggies or chopped veggies in a cabbage or tomato - based soup stock. Soup is wonderfully filling!