Fruits and Sugar

Options
Should I be concerned when I go over my sugar limit, over half of the sugar I log is coming from fruit! Just wondering if there is a difference because fruit has natural sugar??

Replies

• billbrown72
    billbrown72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is different than the added sugar in foods and drinks..It doesn't effect your blood sugar levels like the others...Me I rely on the glycemic index for my foods and fruits (a couple are high) are on the lower end of scale
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate it. Look at your diet as a whole. People seem to come here and start to micro manage without looking at their whole diet. I normally go over my sugar goal at breakfast because I eat a lot of fruit but my overall diet is balanced. Sugar is sugar no matter it's source, though sugar in fruit does not spike insulin the same way as it's bound up with good things such as fibre and vitamins.

Part of the issue people have started to demonise sugar the same way fat was demonised in the 80s/90s without looking at the big picture.

The questions to ask is your diet balanced? Are you hitting your realistic/reasonable calorie goals and hitting your weightloss goals? If the answer is yes then carry on and don't over stress about the small things

Good Luck
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if you have a medical reason to be watching your sugar intake
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is different than the added sugar in foods and drinks..It doesn't effect your blood sugar levels like the others...Me I rely on the glycemic index for my foods and fruits (a couple are high) are on the lower end of scale

Sugar is sugar. They are not different. The fiber that is found is fruit is what makes people think they are "different".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Sugar is sugar. They are not different. The fiber that is found is fruit is what makes people think they are "different".

Correct. But the MFP limit is because various sources recommend limiting add sugars (because calories and nutrients) and US labels make it impossible to separate. They make an assumption about how much sugar people eat beyond added sugar, and if you eat more (lots of fruit) the number won't work for you. So, OP, there is no reason to worry about fruit consumption if you aren't over calories or under on protein or avoiding healthy fat or vegetables.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eat all the fruit! There's lots of health benefits that come with eating a bunch of fruit. Also fiber!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Should I be concerned when I go over my sugar limit, over half of the sugar I log is coming from fruit! Just wondering if there is a difference because fruit has natural sugar??

You could review the other half, and/or make lower sugar choices.

All sugars are natural.

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes you should be concerned depending on the amount of fruit your eating. As long as its whole fruits I would 2-3 pieces is plenty a day. Have a smoothie from a bottle and it's a ridiculous amount of sugar without the benefit of the fibre
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I cut back on fruit because of the sugar and started eating more veggies. Instead of having a huge apple, I'll have half an apple, or eat berries, which are lower in sugar than many fruits.
  • Justine_Kimberley
    Justine_Kimberley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I usually have a banana in the morning with my breakfast and an apple after supper! Sometimes during the day I'll have a cup of mixed fruit! I was just wondering cause I don't go over my calories, it just seemed to be my sugars and I noticed that most of it was from fruit! I was just wondering if this was okay! I'll continue to eat my fruit as normal :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is actually worse. It contains Fructose, which is immediately stored as fat in the Liver. Stick to berries when it comes to fruit, and eat in small amounts only.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you're sensitive to sugar, you should avoid fruit. DH does, he has wicked bad IBS.