Not eating enough

Options
I weighted in this morning. And I just wanted to stress the importance of eating all your calories each day.

Though I did lose 4 pounds, I also lost muscle mass, and I gained body fat.

It wasn't a lot of muscle mass or body fat, but I would rather have more muscle than fat. I've been doing this for over a year and you would think I would know better.

The first thing my trainer said to me after weighing, you need to eat more. I was try to stay around 1300 calories. But that was too low for what I do everyday.

I just wanted to remind people to eat all of their calories! Its very important. I know eating more and losing weight doesn't seem right in our own minds, but that's the only way to do it.

Believe

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring the loss of muscle and gain in bodyfat?
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

The post wasn't regarding how its measure. On here there is so many opinions regarding the measuring of muscle mass and body fat. I have been using the same method since starting this journey. So I'm sure the it is the best accuracy for me.

I'm not getting into that on this post. Its regarding the importance of eating enough.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    The post wasn't regarding how its measure. On here there is so many opinions regarding the measuring of muscle mass and body fat. I have been using the same method since starting this journey. So I'm sure the it is the best accuracy for me.

I'm not getting into that on this post. Its regarding the importance of eating enough.

However, if you are making claims you need to be able to confirm how you are gathering your data to back yourself up!
  • Mystical64
    Options
    I do have the data and I can back it up.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    With only 4 pounds lost since the last measurement, it is likely that the measuring error inherent in any sort of measuring system (especially something like a bio-impedance scale, which I am assuming is what your trainer used) overwhelms any true changes. Things like hydration status make a huge difference in results.

I don't think anyone would argue the point that eating too little is a bad thing, but when you are trying to define what too few is, based *only* on a notoriously faulty measuring tool, that is reaching too far for the data you have.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how your trainer could verify that you had lost muscle mass and not fat?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

LOL! That isn't how this works. The burden of proof is on you, so people have the right to question the method utilized for obtaining your BF%.

Nobody here will debate that eating enough is definitely important, as it's mentioned everywhere on this forum. However, how frequently you weigh in and the method you use is coming into question. You could be concerning yourself with muscle you didn't actually lose.
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    People are being way too harsh on the OP. If they're confident in their measuring, then they're confident. That wasn't the point of their post. @Mystical64 - I guess you have tried propping up your calories with the usual shakes, peanut butter, etc? Are you drinking much caffeine?
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from regarding not eating enough. What people don't realize is that the more you workout, the more calories your body burns and therefore your body needs more food (fuel) to function. When you don't give your body the right amount of fuel it needs, it can go into survival mode and will hold onto the fat which in turn can hinder your weight loss. I'm going through the same thing and therefore making myself eat more during the day.
  • Mystical64
    Options
    https://www.inbodyusa.com.

I know I need to eat more. I was doing double work outs and keeping my calories low. Which I know is incorrect. I have a goal of 140 pounds this year. I have already lost 22 pounds since last Jan.

I have added the link to the machine we use. Same machine I started with. And I have my progress report. Thank you JamBlaze. I don't mind losing a little muscle mass on my legs, but I know the saying.....quads or jeans you can't have both.

I know how far I have come and I believe in what I'm doing.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    https://www.inbodyusa.com.

I know I need to eat more. I was doing double work outs and keeping my calories low. Which I know is incorrect. I have a goal of 140 pounds this year. I have already lost 22 pounds since last Jan.

I have added the link to the machine we use. Same machine I started with. And I have my progress report. Thank you JamBlaze. I don't mind losing a little muscle mass on my legs, but I know the saying.....quads or jeans you can't have both.

I know how far I have come and I believe in what I'm doing.

Yea, those aren't accurate.
  • Mystical64
    Options
    that's why I didn't post in the beginning.....I don't need negative feedback!

But hey to each his own.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That's not negative. That's factual.