How do I eat healthy when I don't like much food

Options
I really want to be healthy and get into shape but there's only a few things I like to eat, I am the pickiest eater I know and I hate most things ☹
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get over this or what to do.. ?

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like but withing your calorie goal to lose weight. Try to slowly implement new foods by trying out new stuff and recipes. You do not need a huge change in what you eat to lose weight, all you need is portion control. As for the health part...try new stuff ad add what you like. It is a process, I read man picky eaters here in time discovered many new things that they like and/or started liking something they used to dislike :)
  • juliamate
    juliamate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok cool thank you i will try that! :)
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You will probably find your tastes change as you try and introduce new foods. I used to be a massively picky eater when I was younger, I never ate vegetables, hated fish, hated eggs etc. But I have tried to introduce these things slowly and in ways I like (e.g. I still hate hate hate boiled carrots. But carrots roasted with a bit of honey and paprika YUM. Or brussels sprouts fried with cumin seeds and a bit of bacon etc) and now eat veg and eggs all the time! (but I'm still struggling with fish).

But despite that you can get into shape eating the things you like, just make sure you log them and stay under your calorie goal :smile:
  • juliamate
    juliamate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow ok cool thanks heaps :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All of the above.

Also, if you can cook, don't just try new things - try things you haven't liked in the past cooked in new ways. Think about what you didn't like about them and pick a method that addresses that. More spices for bland food, salt and sweet can counter bitter flavors (to a point), mushy food might be better roasted with crispy edges, pan fried, breaded and sauteed, etc.

And of course, if you don't cook, this is a great incentive to learn.

ETA: Forgot - also, sometimes it's the food combination. I'm not a fan of sweet potato with anything that's sweet. I'll only eat it with savory things, preferably spicy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are still some ways I won't eat eggs. But I have also found ways to enjoy them. If I were you I'd start with the short list of the foods you enjoy, track the calories, and stay within your calorie goal. Take a multivitamin to hopefully cover shortfalls. Then slowly add a new food every week.

Food for thought:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257795355_Mindfulness_and_Eating_An_Experiment_Examining_the_Effect_of_Mindful_Raisin_Eating_on_the_Enjoyment_of_Sampled_Food
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know it's not always easy, but try to keep an open mind and keep trying new foods or give foods that you dislike another chance. I love the comments above about finding new ways to enjoy foods you haven't liked in the past - great advice! It's worth it in the long run, makes things so much easier. I know that can be easier said than done, but I too, used to be an extremely picky eater (I grew up with cucumbers and iceberg lettuce as the only 2 vegetables I was willing to eat, never ate fish, wouldn't even put ketchup on a burger, etc.). I started a diet program in my late 20s because I had to lose some serious weight and I knew I would reach my goals faster/more easily if I expanded my food options. Wasn't always easy! But eventually I grew to love trying new foods. Best of luck to you! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This thread rocks. Great advice, all. Good luck, OP.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Please don't eat humans. Eat healthily.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Define healthy.