Not losing weight!

Options

Replies

• ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements changed? While I recognize the need for a scale you should see how your clothes feel. Are they looser or do they feel the same?
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Igotithear wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what happened, but I've lost about 4 pounds since this post. I didn't run out and buy a food scale (sorry I'm poor lol) and I didn't change anything to my routine, but I'm very ecstatic to see this new number! Thanks peeps!

You are awesome! See? You just had to stay the course and be patient.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Either you are eating more calories or burning less calories than you think. Or a combination of the two.

This may have already been covered so my apologies but: Are you weighing everything you consume? (Don't just measure - use a kitchen scale for accuracy!). What are you using to get your calorie burn? 800-1000 calories burned each day is a lot, but that also depends on your current weight/height and what you are doing. Unless you are using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, you're not going to get a near-accurate picture.

Something else to consider - if you just started at the gym and have gone from zero to what you are doing now, it could be water weight. Alternatively, are you on your period? That too would be water weight?

And finally, define "scale won't move." Perhaps this does not apply to you, but I often see people on here claiming that they have lost no weight when in reality they have lost half a pound or one pound.

Bottom line: assuming you are logging everything correctly and are indeed at a caloric deficit, give it a few more weeks. But I would check there first just to be sure.

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly what happened, but I've lost about 4 pounds since this post. I didn't run out and buy a food scale (sorry I'm poor lol) and I didn't change anything to my routine, but I'm very ecstatic to see this new number! Thanks peeps!

Congrats. :)

Sometimes you are doing everything right and the scale just OWES you. It can be frustrating, but now you know...stay the course.
  • Igotithear
    Igotithear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Either you are eating more calories or burning less calories than you think. Or a combination of the two.

This may have already been covered so my apologies but: Are you weighing everything you consume? (Don't just measure - use a kitchen scale for accuracy!). What are you using to get your calorie burn? 800-1000 calories burned each day is a lot, but that also depends on your current weight/height and what you are doing. Unless you are using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, you're not going to get a near-accurate picture.

Something else to consider - if you just started at the gym and have gone from zero to what you are doing now, it could be water weight. Alternatively, are you on your period? That too would be water weight?

And finally, define "scale won't move." Perhaps this does not apply to you, but I often see people on here claiming that they have lost no weight when in reality they have lost half a pound or one pound.

Bottom line: assuming you are logging everything correctly and are indeed at a caloric deficit, give it a few more weeks. But I would check there first just to be sure.

No I don't weigh food as I don't have a scale, nor the money to get one. I do a lot of different classes, zumba, ripped, insanity, in addition to running two miles and lifting weights. As for the HRM I do use one with a chest strap and transmitter (Polar brand). Additionally I've been going to the gym for the last 5 years, but more recently had a baby and attending college so finding time or not being in pain from the pregnancy made going difficult, so I'm not entirely out of shape. Lastly I'm not on my period, I'm part time breast feeding which has delayed my period. Since the date of the original post the scale has moved significantly... I'm down 5.7 pounds.. the scale is cooperating and the math is in line for approx. -2 a week X 3 weeks. I'm super happy! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

No I don't weigh food as I don't have a scale, nor the money to get one. I do a lot of different classes, zumba, ripped, insanity, in addition to running two miles and lifting weights. As for the HRM I do use one with a chest strap and transmitter (Polar brand). Additionally I've been going to the gym for the last 5 years, but more recently had a baby and attending college so finding time or not being in pain from the pregnancy made going difficult, so I'm not entirely out of shape. Lastly I'm not on my period, I'm part time breast feeding which has delayed my period. Since the date of the original post the scale has moved significantly... I'm down 5.7 pounds.. the scale is cooperating and the math is in line for approx. -2 a week X 3 weeks. I'm super happy! :)

You would be better off selling the HRM and estimating cals burned in other ways, and using that money to buy a kitchen scale. HRMs are only a good estimate of cals burned for a very narrow range/type of exercise.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing - if you can afford the gym and a heart rate monitor you can afford a scale!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Well when the portions on the box say 17 pieces... That's when I count... Or when it says 1 cup, what is there to weigh?

Ever portion size is generally followed by a measure in grams or ounces. For instance, on my cereal, it says serving size is 3/4 cup (28 g). I do not measure out 3/4 cup - that is really just a guesstimate - I weigh out the 28g.

If it's fluid there is no problem - but when you use dry measures it can be off by a significant amount - and this will add up when you are eating calorie dense foods like nuts -

For instance - one serving of 30g of almonds - it said on the package serving size 1/4 cup or 30 g. For fun yesterday I measured out 1/4 cup - it was level to the top. But when I weighed it, it came out to 37 g. The calories for 30 g was about 173 - for 37 g it is 213 - 50 calories more.

Do that a couple times a day, or a couple times a week - and you can easily over eat without realizing it.

Use a food scale.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Well the good news is you can get a decent digital food scale at Walmart for under $15. And it will last for years. I have one that's almost 15 years old and still works fine. I only upgraded because I wanted a bigger surface area and bigger display (old eyes)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

OP--remember, weight loss is 80% diet, and 20% exercise. I would buy the digital scale (they're cheap).
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 calories and burning 800, that only leaves your body 400 calories just to function. Depending on your height and weight, your body uses about 1500-2000 calories just for you to breathe. You're not eating enough food. Check out this website to get your BMR:

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

You probably need to eat 500 more calories per day.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

There you go! Sometimes our bodies just take a couple of weeks to drop the weight. It has happened to me before as well. Good for you and keep at it!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I never eat exercise calories as I lose slow I use a calorie calculator add in honestly how active I am , it Worked for me 71lbs lost in 11 months
    Some weeks id not lose even gain & I was always weighing measuring everything.
    Nothing can honestly give you precise calories burned tbh.

Sometimes it's what you eat too there good foods bad foods , good carbs bad carbs etc.
    Then sometimes you maybe not eating enough.

Or drinking enough water......

Some foods have too much salt you'll retain water due to this !!!!

Etc
    The list is endless
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I never eat exercise calories as I lose slow I use a calorie calculator add in honestly how active I am , it Worked for me 71lbs lost in 11 months
    Some weeks id not lose even gain & I was always weighing measuring everything.
    Nothing can honestly give you precise calories burned tbh.

Sometimes it's what you eat too there good foods bad foods , good carbs bad carbs etc.
    Then sometimes you maybe not eating enough.

Or drinking enough water......

Some foods have too much salt you'll retain water due to this !!!!

Etc
    The list is endless

Whether one is eating "good foods" or "bad foods," a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. Not eating enough will also result in weight loss (although it should be avoided for other reasons).
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You had a baby in January, are breastfeeding, and are only eating 1200 cal per day, shooting for an aggressive 2 lb per week loss when you only have 40ish lbs to lose?

Why has no one commented on any of that?

Don't be surprised when your supply drops. Thatisall.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP, you've gotten some great advice mixed in with some really misinformed posts, so I wanted to summarize!
    • Nutrition info is correct for the weight portion (grams) & estimated for volume. Get a food scale, they are only $10-$15.
    • Use whatever you want to get your exercise calories, but try eating back @ 1/2 to 3/4 of those calories. This will give you a better chance of fueling your workouts while protecting you from overstimated calorie burns.
    • Weight loss is not linear. Even if you do everything perfect, some weeks you will lose , some weeks you won't. So as you've now seen, two weeks isn't enough time to tell whether what you are doing is working or not.
    • With your stats, you should really be aiming for @ 1 lb per week weight loss.
    And:
    • No, you didn't gain muscle weight in two weeks
    • No, eating too little will not stall your weight loss
    • No, eating specific foods will not stop you from losing weight, unless you are eating over your calorie goal
    Looks like you already saw a change, so yay! Be patient and best of luck :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    As the above poster (@tlflag1620), I caught the part about you just having a baby in January.

So, you're only about 6-8 weeks postpartum? That explains a whole lot. It takes a few months for your body to start getting back to "normal" after a baby. Even after that initial 6 week period, it still is adjusting and reshaping and changing calorie needs. And all sorts of things can make it hard to see results on the scale. So, first of all, be patient. You just grew a new life, which took 9 months - don't expect to see a whole lot of change the first 9 weeks! :smile:

I do hope that you were cleared by your doctor before going back to the intense levels of exercise you are describing (zumba + HIIT + running + weights, enough to consider 800+ calories anything like an accurate burn). Even if you are out of the "official" postpartum time, you can really overdo it and set yourself back. The same with an aggressive calorie deficit.

Are you breastfeeding? That can add another dimension to the scale thing. First of all, you need more calories to make the milk. Second, the amount of milk you have can affect the scale weight. And, for some reason, it seems like many women struggle to lose those last pounds while bf (it doesn't invalidate CI/CO, but possibly affects appetite or something else like that).

Most of what I say is related to overall health and wellbeing of you and your child, not directly to weight loss. For that, you need to make sure that you are at a mild deficit. Weigh everything (that's already been covered) and don't overestimate your exercise calories. And, depending on the difference between your maintenance and goal calories, and how well you're tracking, those 100 calorie overages a week could really be 300-500, and it is enough to keep you from losing weight, so watch out for those, too.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options

That's probably the water weight coming off :smile: It's fun to see that big drop, but don't get discouraged if things slow down after this. Also, recognize that certain times of the month will have you showing a weight gain (water again, sometimes 2-5lb, at ovulation and when you get your period). It's tough to see the scale move upwards, but the downward trend is what matters. Consider using a website like Trendweight so that you can keep that in mind when the scale move upwards overnight!
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    You had a baby in January, are breastfeeding, and are only eating 1200 cal per day, shooting for an aggressive 2 lb per week loss when you only have 40ish lbs to lose?

Why has no one commented on any of that?

Don't be surprised when your supply drops. Thatisall.

I was coming to say this. If you are breastfeeding (even part-time as you said), you need to make sure you are at least hitting your calorie target for the day. Or else your body typically stops making enough milk. I had to eat at a huge surplus to keep my milk supply up, and ended up with a 25lb gain when I stopped breastfeeding. Everyone's body is different, though. /anecdote

And OP how do you even have the energy to be going to the gym 4 days a week?? At 8-ish weeks postpartum, I was so tired I could barely make it up and down the stairs all day. Then the 4-month sleep regression...omg...basically I was exhausted for 6 months ;) so props to you for even having the energy!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I see.. so for portions where the serving is in pieces, do the companies typically have corresponding weight info to accurately weigh?

Every solid has to be weighed. I've come across many products where the listed serving was x pieces but when I weighed it I found I was eating nearly two servings. All serving sizes will be in weight as well. That's more accurate. I was able to prove to many people that by not weighing solid foods they were eating nearly double of what they thought they were.