Success with exercise DVDs/online workouts/in-house exercise?

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what peoples' experiences are with the above in terms of weight loss?

I currently go to a bootcamp in my local park 2x per week for 1 hr a time (I also walk there and back, 35 min journey each way). The rest of the week I then do a big workout indoors on one day (Jillian Michaels burn fat boost metabolism) and the other days I find short HIIT workouts on youtube (20 mins or so). I ALWAYS make sure I hit my 10,000 steps (at least) on my fitbit and often this is by walking indoors (!). I have found I really like the Leslie Sansone workouts and use it to top up my steps. I often up the tempo a bit, but I find her really motivating!

Does anyone else use the Leslie Sansone walks/aerobics? We don't really have workout DVDs like that in England (like Leslie Sansone I mean). I think she's great!! lol

What success have people had with workout dvds?

:)

Replies

• CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones 4-5 days a week. My core has gotten amazingly strong and I now have biceps that show a little. Before my arms were more like string beans. My bf has noticed my butt getting firmer and rounder. I dont have the ambition to go to the gym. I used to but its difficult being a 3rd shifter with a toddler to take care of during the day. Videos have been a great addition to fit my lifestyle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eating less = weight loss. Exercise is mainly for fitness. Sure, exercise can burn a few calories, but your main weight loss will come from watching your calorie intake. Besides, if it were just about the burn, one VERY IMPORTANT exercise category would be off the table (strength training). It's much harder to work off 200 calories than it is to eat 200 calories.

That said, I love my exercise DVD collection. I make sure to do well rounded programs, some strength, some cardio, some flexibility (I'm older). My video collection will help me stay active for years to come....this too is a lifestyle change for me.

Leslie Sansone's YouTube Channel.....another way to "bump up" Leslie is to use a rebounder.
    www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

More walking based videos:
    www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv/videos

One of the walking groups here on MFP:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/335-leslie-sansone-walk-at-home
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For weight loss I watch my calorie intake using my food diary at My Fittness Pal. I have had great success with that.
    I exercise to manage stress and get my body more fit not to lose weight. I get a few more calories to eat with exercise. I use workout videos off of You Tube often. I like Jessica Smith TV. She is very positive and has lots of workouts to try.
  • katie1318
    katie1318 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend this video for quick, fun, challenging workouts. And very unique for a workout video.

http://kickasslife.leadpages.co/fightingfit/
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I love videos.

Been using CIZE (www.cize.com) for 6 weeks lost 5.5 pounds and 8.5 inches. I'm starting it again this week. It's a lot of fun.

I use Leslie Sansone's Fat Burning Walk as a supplement when the CIZE videos are short. Can you order from Amazon?

• samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com Free, fun, and tons of variety.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I love videos.

Been using CIZE (www.cize.com) for 6 weeks lost 5.5 pounds and 8.5 inches. I'm starting it again this week. It's a lot of fun.

I use Leslie Sansone's Fat Burning Walk as a supplement when the CIZE videos are short. Can you order from Amazon?

Are CIZE videos region free? OP is in the UK .......most of what Amazon sells is region 1 (North America).
  • aqila17
    aqila17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    God, I love Leslie Sansone. I think hers is the only video that I have been able to stick for a long time. It depends on your fitness level. I'm so out of shape, don't have many option.
    my plan after I finish Leslie Sansone is to try Slim in 6.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been doing videos for a few years now, and first got into videos with Jillian's 30 Day shred, like most. I've tried gym routines, but I've never been able to stick with them. I much prefer working out in the privacy of my own home with fewer distractions. I guess maybe I'm a paranoid individual. I've been doing 3-6 dvd workouts per week over the last few years... with some extended periods of time off here and there ;)

I might also add that I have a polar heart rate monitor that helps me get a rough estimate of calories burned during each workout and how hard I am working at any given point. I do want a 24/7 fitness tracker someday, but for now just having my HRM and my workout DVDs is the perfect combo for staying motivated.

I am currently doing Jillian's Body Revolution for the 2nd time. The first time I tried Body Revolution, which was last Spring, it was more difficult because I have naturally weak knees, ankles, and wrists. But since then, I have gained a lot of strength and it is MUCH easier this time around. Because of Body Rev I can actually do real push ups now! Huge victory for someone like me, who thought they were cursed with the crappiest upper body strength. :) I'm almost halfway through now, and I plan to follow up with her more difficult program called BodyShred at some point, but I will probably be looking for a non-Jillian program in between.

Here are some non-Jillian resources:

Try collagevideo.com. They sell tons of different workouts, but it's also a good place to look for trainers, read reviews, and watch previews.

Check out videofitness.com. There are literal fitness video junkies hanging out over there, and also tons of fitness dvd reviews.

I also suggest typing different trainers' names into youtube, to see what pops up. You can find tons of workout previews to see if you might be interested in buying some new workouts.

There are tons of online streaming services now. I wanna try FitFusion, which features JM and many of her proteges. BeachBody has one now, too, but I don't think it's for me. A good free one is Fitness Blender. I usually go there when my muscles are tight and I want a guided stretch video. Fitness Blender videos are super minimalist, which I like.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I love my DVD collection and do most of my workouts at home. I have several Leslie Sansone videos as well as CIZE and a KettleWorx set. Enjoy them all. I can do things at my own pace and since the closest gym to me is over 30 minute drive this works. When the weather is nice, I love to take long walks and look for the wildlife (I live in the country)
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender is my life lol. so much variety and I love incorporating strength and cardio, great workouts!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich and Leslie Sansone are my faves.

collagevideo.com
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I love videos.

Ive heard mixed reviews about Cize, that you only dance to the hit song for the last 3 min of the dvd. Is it not like Zumba with continuous dancing?
  • samikirkby2016
    samikirkby2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on the wii, it's a really good workout and you can keep pushing yourself harder to try and beat your high score. I have Jillian Michaels 30 day shred which is a tough workout too. I do go to the gym but on days where I can't get out the wii is a great help.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I love videos.

Are CIZE videos region free? OP is in the UK .......most of what Amazon sells is region 1 (North America).

https://www.beachbody.co.uk/product/fitness-training/cize-dance-workout.do?utm_campaign=UK|Google_Brand_CIZE_Beta&utm_term=+cize&trackingid=sNvYZdVQA&gclid=CPy_sq2twcsCFRY8gQodlYQErg

Link to CIZE in UK

I love videos.

Ive heard mixed reviews about Cize, that you only dance to the hit song for the last 3 min of the dvd. Is it not like Zumba with continuous dancing?

Yes you only dance to the song for three minutes, but the first 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the dance, he teaches you step-by-step and then you repeat it so you are dancing the whole way through And getting a major work out the whole time. You can redo the hit song/CIZE it up part over and over again because as soon as that part is over you come to the menu and it asked you if you want to CIZE it up again. As I said originally, for me, it has been a good workout and I lost weight and inches all around. It's fun, not too hard, and I always sweat.
    Having done Zumba as well, I found it easier to learn and a better workout.
  • moralestonia
    moralestonia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on my kinect when I'm home in morning and night since I started I lost some weight while having fun
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    lml852014 wrote: »
    fitnessblender is my life lol. so much variety and I love incorporating strength and cardio, great workouts!

Me too!! I'm 85 lbs down, which obviously was due to my diet. But I am also in really good shape now and I thank fitness blender for that! So much variety, I'm never bored.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I do Kayla Itsines BBG (Bikini Body Guide) in my living room. I have done Jillian's workouts before and while she is wonderful, I found it very repetitive.

I like the BBG because it has 3 different days per week (Day 1: Legs & Cardio, Day 2: Arms & Abs, Day 3: Full body) and it changes weekly. Plus it 28 mins and I drip sweat & feel the burn.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    YouTube: BodyFit by Amy, bodyrock, tone it up, autumn fitness, fitness blender, yoga with adriene, gymra, athlean-xx for women, blogilates, hangtightwmarc
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba off YouTube, and I've lost about 20 pounds this year. Sarah Placencia is my favorite, but, sometimes I'm looking more for a song I enjoy and then I will try anybody's video. :smiley: