Over eating

Options
Im 48 and still cant maintain a healthy weight. I struggle every day with food. Love to eat. Im depressed and hate my body. Why can't i control what and how much goes in my mouth any suggestion desperately need advice

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything you eat? To me that was a major wake up call, actually being able to see in full what I was eating in a day.
  • giannaben
    giannaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes i am now but i still find it hard to control my eating. On most days i eat well but there are days i just dont stop. I just want to be happy and healthy with my body. Thankyou for your support and help
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you seeking treatment for your depression?
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options

take it one meal or snack at a time. what healthy choice can you make? don't worry about the whole day, just that one meal or snack. You should allow yourself some "cheat days" so that you aren't eating everything in the house. I listen to my body's hunger signals, and don't deny myself any kinds of foods.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you are only starting out with MFP/weight loss, you may want to track your normal eating for the first 1-2 weeks. Weigh and measure everything you would normally eat, and log it in your MFP diary. Then, after that part is done, you can start taking out the "extras" in your normal diet bit by bit.

Say, if you're now consuming 3200 calories and it's keeping/making you overweight, at first you can drop the excess 200 (if you're having a soda or a glob of cream for that amount, etc), then another extra 500, one more extra 500 and we already get back to 2000 which is a pretty good weight maintenance number for many people. If you have a lot of weight to lose, 2000 calories may even be a good starting point to lose weight.

When I first started out on MFP, I logged a few of my "usual" eating days first. I thought I wasn't consuming any more than 1800-2000 calories every day, but the numbers actually crept up to 3500 per day. No wonder I've been overweight most of my life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    vczk2t15 wrote: »

take it one meal or snack at a time. what healthy choice can you make? don't worry about the whole day, just that one meal or snack. You should allow yourself some "cheat days" so that you aren't eating everything in the house. I listen to my body's hunger signals, and don't deny myself any kinds of foods.

not sure why you quoted me in your response?

'Cheat days' for someone who has problem with binge eating would not be my advice. learning moderation and fitting in tasty snacks so OP doesn't feel deprived on any given day would be a better idea.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As someone who suffers from Depression and Binge Eating Disorder I find that they sometimes go hand in hand. When I was depressed or stressed out I binge, then I feel worse after and binge again. I use to have good streaks where I felt like I was in control, then bam I would get this urge and eat until I made myself sick, or caused myself pain. There is a self quiz you can take to see if you may be suffering from Binge Eating Disorder. I have a group I started for it with some links, I have put the link to the group, you may benefit from checking out some of the info.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112095-binge-eating-disorder
  • RNZLR44
    RNZLR44 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you can't control what you eat, I would recommend journaling for 2 weeks as to WHY you eat. By that I mean, journal about how you feel when you eat. Were you hungry or stressed? Did you feel sad and decide to eat? Journaling your feelings before you eat will give insight as to WHY you eat. Then you can begin to see a clearer picture of what drives you to food. From there you can attack the problem at its cause (the reason you eat) and not the symptom (the fact that you overeat). Once that's done, you could focus on what you eat... Just my $.02
  • giannaben
    giannaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    vczk2t15 wrote: »

Thank you for your support and suggestions