If you are using Mirena (IUD)....long, but please read

Options
Hey girls, This is for any of you who suspect that you may be having a negative reaction to Mirena.

In the past I have been unable to use hormonal birth control. Depo, even Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, threw me into black depression. So my husband and I gave us using them; until October of last year. We had been struggling with some issues in our marriage, and the monthly prospect of pregnancy was adding a lot to our stress. So we decided that I would try Mirena, since it supposedly has a very low dose of "hormone", thus much lower side effects than traditional hormone BC.

I had it put in, and did not notice the deep depression that was an immediate result of the other BC. So after a couple months, I really started thinking that this wasn't going to affect me negatively. By 4 months my period had stopped (very normal), which I wasn't completely comfortable with (for health reasons), but since I wasn't planning on using the IUD for the entire 5 years anyway, I chose not to worry about it.

The past couple months I've been fighting depression a lot. Not the black kind that makes you unable to cope; but just constant. Nagging. My husband asked me a couple times if I thought there was a connection to the IUD, and I said I didn't think so, because it wasn't severe enough; also because, why would it just start after several months? Didn't make sense to me. So I just contributed it to the fact that I am an OTR trucker's wife with 3 small children, and naturally I'm going to have a high stress level.

The other thing I had noticed was a complete loss of libido. I'm not talking about a "reduced" libido. I'm talking DEAD. Girls.....my man is gone a week at a time. He is HOT. WTF???!!! When he comes home I just want to hand him the kids, and go sleep till it's time for him to go back on the road. I keep reading on the forums where women are experiencing higher sex drive as a result of losing weight and exercising, and it always made me feel sad and a bit jealous. :smile: I exercise regularly; I even hit my GW a month or so ago. I eat clean. Nothing made sense here! But again, I attributed it to the stress level of our lives at this point.

Last night my husband and I had a talk before he left on the truck. He asked me once again if I think that the IUD is affecting me. I just can't kick the depression. It is getting worse, not better. So after he left, I decided to research Mirena from a holistic standpoint. And let me tell you, I am SO glad that my boy is more insightful that I am!

I found this article: http://drbloem.com/2009/06/13/the-mirena-menace-are-iuds-intra-uterine-dangers/

If you don't care to read it, I'll highlight a few key points:
*The "hormone" that Mirena puts in our bodies is a CHEMICAL not normally found in the human body.
*Depression and decreased libido are 2 of the 33 COMMON side effects.
*The "blessing" of not having a period is NOT a blessing. Regular periods are normal and essential. (I would encourage you to do further research on the long term effects of going without a period. NOT good at all.)

I also found this thread, which is NOT a medical approach, but rather 8 PAGES of real women, just like you and I, who are being honest about the effect that Mirena has had on them. They are not being paid to say this.....rather most of them stumbled across the topic, just as I did, and added their experience.

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/anyone-using-mirena-iud-have-low-sex-drive-mine-almost-non-existant-o

I called my doctor this morning. Mine is coming out bright and early Wednesday morning. I am also going to be researching natural ways to balance hormones, because I have no question of the damage that has been done in the past 6 months.

I hope that this can help even 1 person. At the same time, if you are using Mirena and love it, please don't feel like I'm trying to influence your decisions. I'm HAPPY for you if you haven't had to experience what I, and hundreds of other women, are experiencing. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! My husband and I have three daughters and are done having children. I've thought about getting the Mirena but had decided against it and reading this solidified my decision. I can't be on any sort of birth control either. The depression and migraines effect my daily life too drastically. We are careful for now until hubby can get the snip, lol.
  • sdckc6528
    sdckc6528 Posts: 19
    Options
    I had the Mirena in for about a year and half. Out of nowhere I started having odd symptoms that just didn't seem normal. After a few days I was 99% positive I had to be pregnant! (I have two children already) After countless pregnancy tests and going to the doctors and having several tests run and everything coming back negative. I thought I was losing my mind. I had every symptom of being pregnant that I did in the first trimester of my other two pregnancies! Well I researched into Mirena on my own and found several websites of women stating they had the same thing happen to them and they took the Mirena out and the symptoms went away. I went to the doctors the next day and had the Mirena removed and by the next morning I felt perfect!!! I am definitely not a doctor but I thought I would share my experience as well.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! My husband and I have three daughters and are done having children. I've thought about getting the Mirena but had decided against it and reading this solidified my decision. I can't be on any sort of birth control either. The depression and migraines effect my daily life too drastically. We are careful for now until hubby can get the snip, lol.
    I am SO happy it helped! That is exactly why I posted this....if even one lady can be helped, it makes it worth it!:flowerforyou:
  • alliecore
    Options
    I had the Mirena in for about a year and half. Out of nowhere I started having odd symptoms that just didn't seem normal. After a few days I was 99% positive I had to be pregnant! (I have two children already) After countless pregnancy tests and going to the doctors and having several tests run and everything coming back negative. I thought I was losing my mind. I had every symptom of being pregnant that I did in the first trimester of my other two pregnancies! Well I researched into Mirena on my own and found several websites of women stating they had the same thing happen to them and they took the Mirena out and the symptoms went away. I went to the doctors the next day and had the Mirena removed and by the next morning I felt perfect!!! I am definitely not a doctor but I thought I would share my experience as well.
    I've had the exact same thing this past month. I almost took a preg test, because everything from mood to sore boobs pointed towards pregnancy. I canNOT wait to get this thing out!!!!!!! Thanks so much for your input!:flowerforyou:
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I have been debating an IUD so this is helpful for me. I think I will stick to the pill :) I hope you find something else that will work for you.:smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction. I'd encourage anyone who is concerned to get advice from their doctor, instead of the internet.

Having no periods as a result of hormonal birth control is safe. I wanted to make sure that fact was stated. I've been period free on monophasic birth control pills for years now. Just like seasonale, there is no reason you must bleed, especially when no lining is being built up.
  • alliecore
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I have been debating an IUD so this is helpful for me. I think I will stick to the pill :) I hope you find something else that will work for you.:smile:
    Thanks girl!!!! (((hugs)))
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this posted....birth control has caused so many problems in my life, marriage, and beyond. I hate it! I too am hoping to find a natural way regulate my hormones.
  • alliecore
    Options
    I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction. I'd encourage anyone who is concerned to get advice from their doctor, instead of the internet.

Having no periods as a result of hormonal birth control is safe. I wanted to make sure that fact was stated. I've been period free on monophasic birth control pills for years now. Just like seasonale, there is no reason you must bleed, especially when no lining is being built up.
    Thanks for your input:smile: I should have added the disclaimer that I'm not at all trying to replace the advice of a physician. Absolutely girls----talk to your doctor!!

As for lack of periods being "safe", I absolutely refuse to engage you in this. I have done my reseach, and I will do what is best for my body; and I encourage all women to do the same. What is best for ME may not be best for the next person, but all should research both sides and make an informed decision. Good luck to you hun!
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    If you haven't yet, look into Fertility Awareness Method (no, NOT the rhythm method). It has no side effects, and almost anyone can use it.

http://www.fertaware.com/awareness.html

It does take some time to learn, but once you do it is as effective as many other methods of birth control - when used perfectly it's as effective as birth control pills.
  • brazilian27
    brazilian27 Posts: 60
    Options
    Omg !! I have the same issues that you have !! Jesus that explains everything !!! Im on it since 2007 but 7 months ago I'm fighting against depressing , mood changing , no periods for 6 months .. and yes I'm so dead on my sexual life and I feel horrible for my husband because I know very inside of him he negative thoughts cross his mind . Pls let me know how it will work for u and I swear I'll look forward to remove mine asp!!!
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was on MIrena right after I had my son in 2006. I lasted 6 months on it. I so moody, with no sex drive on top of the weight gain. I asked my dr to remove it. I then got on the Loestrin Fe but around christmas, I decided to stop taking it altogether. I feel much better now.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    No complaints about the Mirena here, I'm doing just fine. :) But for anyone interested in looking into natural methods of birth control that require no hormones, I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility (again, FAM (fertility awareness method) or NFP (natural family planning) is NOT the rhythm method :) ). It's very insightful into how everything works, and when used PROPERLY, nfp is very effective.

http://www.tcoyf.com/
  • alliecore
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. :flowerforyou:

Again, I want to make it clear that I don't consider my research to be something that would replace asking a doctor for advice.

For those of you who mentioned NFP, thank you! I am incredibly disappointed in myself for trying Mirena, because I KNOW this stuff (we have used natural methods, successfully, for years)......and I knew I was playing with fire. Oh well....lesson learned! Best wishes to everyone!
  • passion3flower
    passion3flower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: http://mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it
  • SJRBoomz
    SJRBoomz Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I got mine in October. I want this to work out so badly but I'm starting to think this is a failed experiment after all. I've always had painful periods but usually only 3 days of brutality and then a couple more as it cleared up. When I got it put in, the cramps I had for the three weeks following were almost unbearable. The first few days we utter torture - so bad I could barely move.

After a few weeks it started to get better and the cramping dampened. About a month and a half after insertion I got my first round of spotting (with mild cramping) which lasted about 2 weeks. About 2 weeks after that stopped it started again, this time lasting over 2 weeks. About 2 weeks off again and then it started again, lasting almost 3 weeks! A week and a half off and then spotting and cramping again for over 3 weeks. It was awful but I promised myself I'd give it 6 months to balance out. Because of the spotting and discomfort I didn't really even notice the loss of sex drive because I just chalked it up to physical discomfort and feeling gross all the time. And because the periods of non-spotting were so short I felt gross and didn't want my bf to perform oral, so when we did have sex and I couldn't get off I assumed it was because I needed oral for get me fully stimulated.

Well, now it's been about a month since I last spotted and it seems I've finally reached that magic time of no more periods. But I have no sex drive to speak of. Nothing he does seems to do anything for me even though it used to be fantastic. We haven't been having any relationship problems at all - if anything, we continue to grow closer together.

I've also noticed since the start that I'm much more emotional, but before I had chalked it up to being frustrated by the whole near constant spotting thing. Now that that had stopped, I don't have any other explanation for it. I think that perhaps if I can get my sex drive back that will solve my emotional issues.

I really don't want to have it removed. I want this to work out so badly. But I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Has anyone had this experience but had their sex drive balance out after a while?? Has anyone tried any herbal remedies or anything else to increase libido???

ETA: I should add that I've struggled with depression in the past and it is always a concern for me. I was on marvelon birth control pills for a few years without issue beginning about 10 years ago and then I had a doctor convince me to switch to Yaz. I got very emotional after that switch and cried constantly, which is very unlike me. Switched back again but remained horrible emotional. Went off the pills completely and balanced out after a few weeks. I haven't been on any birth control since then until I got the mirena in Oct.
  • ThickJoker
    ThickJoker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't have these issues on Mirena, the only reason I had to go off was cause I started forming ovarian cysts (2 which resulted in surgery) and Mirena does not stop ovulation, sadly now I'm on Depo and really not enjoying IT'S side effects (hearing loss being one of the biggest issues, I already have significant hearing loss, so it's been trying, and the whole weight issues, soon as I got back on I started ballooning back up)

On Mirena I actually had no dip in my libido, I was still what they what called high drive. I'm experiencing it a little on depo.
    I'm actually noticing a lot more emotional instability on Depo then when I was on Mirena.
    Cramping, Jesus Christ the cramping, I don't GET a major period (mild spotting), but on Mirena I had nothing, no cramps, no spotting, nada... Depo it's tiny lil pseudo periods once a month, and if there's no cramping/blood it's just an insane amount of bloating and PMS

I do know not all birth controls are right for everyone, and each person has to find which one is best for them (My sister is actually allergic to most forms of BC)
  • ElbowCoude
    ElbowCoude Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had it! I gained TONS of weight and was extremely depressed! It was awful. I had it removed and started losing weight and feeling better, the I got pregnant lol and now my son is 11 months, since having him I have lost well over 100 lbs and am HAPPY