Butter and Coconut oil in Coffee??

Options
Have you guys heard of this? Blending coffee, grass fed butter and coconut oil together? I tried it recently and actually love the taste. It seems to be controversial with some people saying it's good and others saying it's a bad idea. What are your experiences and thoughts?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking it everyday since Oct. 2015....I drink it around 5am and not hungry until later in the afternoon ....but I add HWC to my coffee and sugarfree vanilla syrup
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If it tastes good to you and you can fit it into your calorie goal, why not? I personally think it sounds kind of gross, but I can't think of why it would nutritionally be bad unless you've been told (by a doctor, not a fad dieter) that you shouldn't have a ton of fats. Even then, I can't imagine you're having enough of it at once to matter.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sounds healthy :^)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but for all those calories I would rather eat food.
    But if you are usually short on your fat macro, or if you just really like it and it fits in your calories, then go for it. It doesn't have any magic weight loss powers though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I never drink coffee, but Hubby lives his full fat cream and coffee in the nutribullet.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There's no actual benefit to it, unless you're doing keto and that's one of your ways of keeping up with the fat %. For some, it might even be a bad idea, because you're consuming so many calories in just one drink. But if you feel fine drinking it, drink it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you feel your health would benefit from extra saturated fat, sure, it is a healthy idea. Most drs would tell you the less saturated fat the better, but I am sure someone will post how drs know nothing about nutrition :)
    For the average person, if it fits your macros and calories and you like the taste, why not? For me the thought alone of adding butter in my coffee makes me want to gag, so it is not something I have to debate about.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat in the diet doesn't correlate with saturated fat in the bloodstream, so we rely on weak and vague epidemiology with low risk factors to support last century's war on saturated fat.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    It's definitely best for low-carbers! :)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would do this if you don't need the extra calories and/or like the taste.

I drink 16oz of black coffee with my breakfast. It is pretty filling because 16oz of liquid period is filling.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the old bulletproof coffee. Fat-burning magical properties or some such nonsense. I might try it if I'm backed up and need to get things moving, but otherwise it just sounds like an abomination.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Basically it's bulletproof coffee. Most add MCT oil as well.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Saturated fat in the diet doesn't correlate with saturated fat in the bloodstream, so we rely on weak and vague epidemiology with low risk factors to support last century's war on saturated fat.

Either way, it's a bunch of tasteless calories that I'd rather use those on something I'd enjoy a bit more.

I hear it can help with appetite, but that seems obvious since it adds 100-200 calories to your coffee.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone ruin their coffee like this? Dont get it. Straight up espresso for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tingutz wrote: »
    Have you guys heard of this? Blending coffee, grass fed butter and coconut oil together? I tried it recently and actually love the taste. It seems to be controversial with some people saying it's good and others saying it's a bad idea. What are your experiences and thoughts?

Seems like wasted calories to me -- I like coffee black and it's not adding anything but calories (not much in the way of nutrients).

If people actually like it, it's the same as anything else people eat because they enjoy it, though -- I just don't know why it's faddy or is supposed to be healthy, weird.