I'm new

stormy_55
stormy_55 Posts: 1
edited 9:49PM in Introduce Yourself
In Feb of this year I had gastric bypass surgery and since then I've lost 76 pounds. I hope to eventually lose about 100 more. At this point the scale is moving very slowly and I'm trying to walk and work out to keep it moving and so that I can tone up.

I'm 55 years old, and have tried many diets. My weight has gone up and down so many times and when I was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago I knew I had to take control of my health. My doctor suggested weight loss surgery. I'd often thought about having this surgery, but to be honest I was scared. However, my fear of diabetes was greater than my fear of weight loss surgery and in June of 2010 I entered a program to prepare for it.

I heard about myfitnesspal from people I know who have also had weight loss surgery and thought I should join and work at keeping track of my exercise and of what I eat. I have tried keeping a food journal, but at some point I always stop. I'm hoping that I can connect with other people who are also struggling with keeping weight off. Having surgery does not guarantee that I'll lose my weight and keep it off..it is a tool that I must work with for the rest of my life.

Replies

• mamadox
    mamadox Posts: 3
    Hi stormy! I am 57 and have been doing this for almost 3 weeks. The weight comes off so much slower at my age than it did when I was younger and it can be really frustrating. So hang in there!! You will like this website - there are constantly people to give encouragement. Glad to have you join in this battle!
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Welcome Stormy! You will love it here. There are people here who will encourage you when you succeed and when you fail. It's great to know that none of us are in this alone. You'll find people just like you around here and I know that will be encouraging. Keep your chin up and you'll reach your goals! Feel free to add me :) Best of luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.